Page 67 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    Bulleit. Yeah, maybe give their ten year expression (Bulleit 10) a try and see if you like that better.
    Yeah Bulleit bourbon is okay, not great. But Bulleit Rye is really good stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yeah Bulleit bourbon is okay, not great. But Bulleit Rye is really good stuff.
    My favorite Manhattan is with Bulleit Rye.
    I think their Bourbon is just ok. YMMV.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 07-16-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not bourbon, but I recently ran into a historical recreation of Ernest Shakelton's 1907 Nimrod Expedition scotch whiskey:

http://www.theshackletonwhisky.com/

The plan was to wait for winter when it freezing out, and try it then (it's 90+ now). So much for that plan. It's actually really good. It's a blend that tastes like a single malt (the original Mackinlay's was a single malt). It was $34 a bottle, so I bought 4. Why not it never goes bad, and can make a great gift.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 07-16-2018 at 06:06 PM.

A note on Bulleit whiskies: The pronunciation is actually closer to "bulley", as the original family was French in heritage. My wife and I know someone who is semi retired, but pretty high up the food chain at Diageo (who owns the brand), and he made us aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    My favorite Manhattan is with Bulleit Rye.
    I think their Bourbon is just ok. YMMV.
    I enjoy the Rye on the rocks, but I will take or leave the bourbon.
    I'm really in a rut with the Maker's Mark.
    Inexpensive, and I like the flavor and finish alot.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    A note on Bulleit whiskies: The pronunciation is actually closer to "bulley", as the original family was French in heritage. My wife and I know someone who is semi retired, but pretty high up the food chain at Diageo (who owns the brand), and he made us aware of this.
    I’ll pronounce it how I like... Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha!

I had wondered about the spelling - makes sense now! "Bullay" or something like that would be the pronunciation.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Tom Bulleit, the founder of Bulleit Bourbon, pronounces it like "bullet".

https://youtu.be/_CYUg1-EMMc

If Bulleit the company wanted the brand to be pronounced other than "bullet" they should do a better job of training their distributors and sales people, who, in my (admittedly limited) experience pronounce it as "bullet."

Among other goofy pursuits, I own a wine shop in flyover land, so this comes up not infrequently. When it comes to pronunciation of proper nouns, traditional rules of thumb go out the window.

User Tag List