Page 182 of 241 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Say I don’t know anything about bourbon and want to find out what all the buzz is about. What’s something I should try that’s available at my local liquor store?
    If it were me I’d start with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It’s a good starter bourbon as is Basil Hayden’s. If you can find it, JTS Brown (Bottled in Bond, which means it’s 100 proof) is $16ish here in NC.

Of course the big name bourbon whiskeys like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, etc are always gonna be there but they really are bottom shelf, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    giving this a spin right now.128 proof

Here's to a prosperous and healthy 2021 my friends.

Attachment 65539
    That is one of my very favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That is one of my very favorites.
    It was a little more money than I typically spend but I thought what the heck. Definitely a good one for sure. My favorite Balcones is the Brimstone. This one is right up there for sure.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

It was a little more money than I typically spend but I thought what the heck. Definitely a good one for sure. My favorite Balcones is the Brimstone. This one is right up there for sure.
    The Brimstone makes an interesting pairing with brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The Brimstone makes an interesting pairing with brisket.
    good to know.
    www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    i'm a fair newb too, I really like Basil Hayden's for a smoother drink, and recently tried the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked when a bartender at a whiskey bar was saying it's his go-to recommendation (he was recommending it to the "we've never tried whiskey!" ladies at the other end of the bar). I thought it was pretty good, I might pick some up next time I'm shopping (if ever. I'm still working on what I bought at the beginning of quarantine).
    Couldn’t find the Woodford but did find the BH. They only had a large bottle and didn’t wanna spend that much on a trial. I ended up getting Wild Turkey 101. I got it before reading through all the suggestions :/
    Where in Oklahoma are you? Im in Claremore. There is so much to choose from and so many nuances. What types of spirits do you currently like?
    I’m in Edmond. Well that’s kinda the thing, I haven’t really drank many spirits in the past decade or so and I’m trying to step up from a glass of wine in the evenings. Figured my tastes needed to mature haha
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    This question is similar to.... "I'm a new shooter... what gun should I buy?" Too many variables....

Pick a big spirits retailer and buy yourself some sample/airline/50mL bottles to try.... You might get lucky and find a sample size of Evan William Bottled in Bond (White label), or maybe Larceny ... I even see Elijah Craig in small bottles occasionally... Balcones has a variety of brown things in small bottles (more "Whiskey than Bourbon, IMO, but worth trying). Try a few and tell us what you like/don't like.

If I was shopping with you and wanted to point you to something I think is very good, at a price point that doesn't make you cry if you hate it....
    1. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.
    2. Early Times Bottled in Bond.
    3. Larceny
    4. Weller Special Reserve (this is their low end Bourbon. Hard to find, but, not expensive unless your liquor store is scalping. It's $40/1.75L here, about $25 or so for the 750mL if you can find it.)
    Okay maybe I should’ve said what’s the Glock 19 of bourbon or the LTT 92 of bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    If it were me I’d start with Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It’s a good starter bourbon as is Basil Hayden’s. If you can find it, JTS Brown (Bottled in Bond, which means it’s 100 proof) is $16ish here in NC.

Of course the big name bourbon whiskeys like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, etc are always gonna be there but they really are bottom shelf, IMHO.
    I should’ve waited until I read all the replies but I got antsy and got Wild Turkey 101 based on a recommendation I read online. It’ll be a starting point.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Dollar for dollar Wild Turkey 101 is a great purchase. It's very much like a Glock 19 of bourbon.

Couldn’t find the Woodford but did find the BH. They only had a large bottle and didn’t wanna spend that much on a trial. I ended up getting Wild Turkey 101. I got it before reading through all the suggestions :/

I’m in Edmond. Well that’s kinda the thing, I haven’t really drank many spirits in the past decade or so and I’m trying to step up from a glass of wine in the evenings. Figured my tastes needed to mature haha

Okay maybe I should’ve said what’s the Glock 19 of bourbon or the LTT 92 of bourbon.

I should’ve waited until I read all the replies but I got antsy and got Wild Turkey 101 based on a recommendation I read online. It’ll be a starting point.
    PM sent
    www.hero911.org

Where in Oklahoma are you? Im in Claremore. There is so much to choose from and so many nuances. What types of spirits do you currently like?

Hey guys...I'm in Oklahoma too. Unfortunately here in Shawnee there isn't a great selection and I have to go to the metro area to find most anything that is reasonably priced.

I tend to like the high proof bourbons and always have. I started with BIB 100 proof so anything under that tastes watered down to me.

For starters I would recommend Evan Williams white label for an inexpensive option.

Henry McKenna 10 year is very good if you can find it.

There's also Elijah Craig and Knob Creek. If you like mild bourbon you'll want to start with the lower proof versions of these.

One of my all time favorites is Weller Antique 107 but it is usually difficult to find and way overpriced anymore.

If you like the WT 101, a lot of people do, you're fortunate because it always seems easy to find. It's just too sweet for me and I drink all my whiskey neat so I'm not used to "sweet" when it comes to my sippin' whiskey. Just my own personal tastes.

Cheers!
    Last edited by O4L; 01-05-2021 at 12:43 AM.

User Tag List