Page 204 of 241 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Ummm...I don't think Rebel Yell is a Heaven Hill product.

It used to be a Stitzel-Weller product.
    Well, whatever it is now, it certainly isn't OG Weller, not that I would complain if it was.

https://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/20...lson-1843.html
    Although Luxco is building a distillery in Bardstown, it is currently a non-distiller producer. Luxco used to disclose that it got most of its bourbon from Heaven Hill. These days they won't say but will say that their whiskey comes from more than one source.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Yell_(bourbon)
    Rebel Yell is now distilled and aged at Luxco’s new distillery, Lux Row Distillers, in Bardstown, Kentucky. The 40% alcohol by volume (80 U.S. proof) spirit was formerly produced under contract by Heaven Hill at its Bernheim distillery in Louisville.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Wolfe_Bernheim
    The Bernheim distillery was purchased by Heaven Hill Distilleries in 1999, and it was substantially refurbished to become Heaven Hill's main distilling plant. Heaven Hill purchased the site after a 1996 fire destroyed its prior distilling plant in Bardstown.
    Also just for reference the barreling date on my bottle was in 2009.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Fellas, get that Rebel (Yell) 10-Year Single Barrel if you see it. At $65 and 100 proof, it's the wheated Heaven Hill mashbill yet still manages to blow out any Henry McKenna bottled-in-bond I've ever had.

Russell's Reserve 13 hit the shelves in Arizona but unfortunately Total Wine seems to have gotten the lion's share of it from the distributors, so I think I'm probably going to end up missing it.
    Went looking for the Rebel while out running errands yesterday. No joy. Picked up the 100 proof to try, not expecting anything special. It wasn't "special", but, I thought it was good. Certainly punches above the $19 asking price. Another decent Wheated to keep in mind.

Talked with a distributor that said the EH Taylor "warehouse C" (?) release was expected next month. I asked him where I could meet him to pick up a case. He had a good laugh about that.

Haven't seen anything from Russel's older than 10 years, but, I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks as always for the tips.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I did finally try the Blantons store pick sample I was given by @Yung . I thought it was very good, but, I'm still not a Blanton's lover at their price point or for having to go begging to find it. Overall, the Stagg Jr was a blow-me-away hit and the Smoke Wagon was certainly a buy-it-if-you-can-find it hit as well.

Thanks again Yung!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Hammertime
    I am a lifelong tee totaler. Tried wine: meh. Beer: ick. Have just never been interested in alcohol much.

At age 52 for the first time ever sipped whiskey. Bourbon in particular. Insert Homer noises: grrrrg, where have you been all my life sweet whiskey!

Yeah I like it. 1 ounce over ice about once a week is the ticket for me.

Joining thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am a lifelong tee totaler. Tried wine: meh. Beer: ick. Have just never been interested in alcohol much.

At age 52 for the first time ever sipped whiskey. Bourbon in particular. Insert Homer noises: grrrrg, where have you been all my life sweet whiskey!

Yeah I like it. 1 ounce over ice about once a week is the ticket for me.

Joining thread.
    Welcome to the club! I didn't get into sipping whiskey until about four years ago in my late fifties.

Even on a limited budget I got into it real deep, trying to learn and taste as much as possible.

I've slowed down considerably in the last year or so, mainly because I have no one to drink with.

What bourbons have you tried so far?

Site Supporter
    I picked up another bottle of the Old Forester 1920 to compare with the 1910. To my palate, the 1910 seems thin. It’s not bad, but just not something I’d come back to. I tried it side by side with the 1920 and then mixed the two as was mentioned above. The blend was good, but not better than 1920 on its own.

No luck finding anything else interesting (for example, none of the Knob Creek that was recommended) but I was just at the small local place. I’m going to try some of the bigger/better shops this weekend. The only other bottle I bought was Angel’s Envy because, well, it has a cool bottle. I’m pretty sure I’ve had this at a bar before so it isn’t totally knew. I tried it, but it was after a long, martini-fueled dinner so I don’t have any thoughts on it so far.

Name:  E39F85FA-E742-4024-92A8-6E00E27B36B2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  74.0 KB

Did finally get around to making old fashioneds this weekend though with the Rare Breed Rye. Made a great drink, I’m just too lazy to make them very often.

Name:  74A1B21C-3234-4743-9BC4-A330E07EAABD.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  102.0 KB

Student
    At age 52 for the first time ever sipped whiskey. Bourbon in particular.
    Joining thread.
    Do you recall which bourbon in particular?

Hammertime
    Welcome to the club! I didn't get into sipping whiskey until about four years ago in my late fifties.

Even on a limited budget I got into it real deep, trying to learn and taste as much as possible.

I've slowed down considerably in the last year or so, mainly because I have no one to drink with.

What bourbons have you tried so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Do you recall which bourbon in particular?
    Okay I my initial tastes were given to me by a patient grateful to no longer have her gallbladder. She gave me two bottles: Woodford Reserve Straight Bourbon, and Chivas Regal Scotch.

I only had a little of the Woodford before giving it to a friend. I regret that decision because it was way better than the Scotch which I am slowly working my way through.

The only other Bourbon I have tried is Knob Creek, and I really like that one. Plus it makes me think of machine guns.

Now it may not be fair because my drinking buddy gave me this pre mixed Knob Creek Old Fashioned while we were hanging at the Grand Canyon and wow! Loved it and could get deeply into trouble with it. https://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Cocktai.../dp/B07NTMLWGP

I have not tried Knob straight with ice yet.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-24-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Okay I my initial tastes were given to me by a patient grateful to no longer have her gallbladder. She gave me two bottles: Woodford Reserve Straight Bourbon, and Chivas Regal Scotch.

I only had a little of the Woodford before giving it to a friend. I regret that decision because it was way better than the Scotch which I am slowly working my way through.

The only other Bourbon I have tried is Knob Creek, and I really like that one. Plus it makes me think of machine guns.
    Yeah, Chivas Regal isn't a very good example of drink worthy Scotch, in my opinion.

Knob Creek, especially the 120 proof, is one of my favorites

I have yet to try Woodford because of the many reviews I have read.

Site Supporter
    Knob Creek, especially the 120 proof, is one of my favorites

I have yet to try Woodford because of the many reviews I have read.
    I like the KC120, but, I'm not sure the 120 proof stuff would be encouraging for beginners.

Woodford is good stuff. For however much they charge on AA these days, I'm not complaining about it being Woodford. It's not something I keep at home, because they are way too proud about their price/value. It's good, but, like Blanton's, not THAT good. YMMV, of course.

User Tag List