Page 118 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    At the recommendation of a friend I tried the Jim Beam Double Oaked a while ago. JB and Ginger ale was my introduction to bourbon many years ago and I felt obligated to give it a try. Compared to regular JB, it's was a big improvement in concentration of flavors and mouth feel, but still not as good as similar priced offerings from Evan Williams, McKenna and others.

I remain hopeful that this Single Barrel is better still.......??
    I like the double oak as well as the devil's cut. I think those are both more flavorful/mellow than the Select.
    The Select reminds me more of the Elijah Craig I had a little while ago, but I felt the Elijah Craig was best served on the rocks to help smooth it out. I didn't feel the need to drop a cube or two in this.

ETA: I did polish off a bottle of the Evan Williams single barrel. I found that nice and a little easier sipping neat than this. I haven't tried the other one you mentioned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jwperry; 02-21-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I like the double oak as well as the devil's cut. I think those are both more flavorful/mellow than the Select.
    The Select reminds me more of the Elijah Craig I had a little while ago, but I felt the Elijah Craig was best served on the rocks to help smooth it out. I didn't feel the need to drop a cube or two in this.

ETA: I did polish off a bottle of the Evan Williams single barrel. I found that nice and a little easier sipping neat than this. I haven't tried the other one you mentioned.

The McKenna 10-year is quite good for a similar price, if you can still find any. They discontinued it and replaced it with a single barrel 10-year version for about $32/750mL. Haven't tried that yet. Folks here seem to like the EW Bottled in Bond (white label) for quite a bit less (~$21/1.5L).
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The McKenna 10-year is quite good for a similar price, if you can still find any. They discontinued it and replaced it with a single barrel 10-year version for about $32/750mL. Haven't tried that yet. Folks here seem to like the EW Bottled in Bond (white label) for quite a bit less (~$21/1.5L).
    I've been working my way through Woodford Reserve offerings that are a little higher priced than what we wanted to discuss in this thread. The Distiller's Select and Double Oaked are awesome, but a little spendy. The price helps keep from drinking too much in one sitting, but they're like dessert bourbons.
    I don't trust myself with those more affordable flavors as I'll have less remorse in higher volume consumption.

First run with the new “stones” by BIL gave me for Christmas.

Name:  C4616451-67A1-49E6-9A8D-9E1EDED4A916.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  96.2 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    First run with the new “stones” by BIL gave me for Christmas.

Name:  C4616451-67A1-49E6-9A8D-9E1EDED4A916.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  96.2 KB
    Hey, you're in Braselton... where'd ya get the Blanton's?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Hey, you're in Braselton... where'd ya get the Blanton's?!!!
    Chestnut Mountain Wine & Spirits @ 53 & Martin Rd. Was back around Christmas.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Chestnut Mountain Wine & Spirits @ 53 & Martin Rd. Was back around Christmas.
    Thanks. That's about 30 minutes from me, I may have to check it out.

Site Supporter
    Well, Chestnut Mountain didn't have any Blanton's -- the nice lady there said they've only been getting about a bottle per month instead of their usual three bottles.

So I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, and I also scored some BT bourbon cream. So the trip was far from wasted.

Found some more 107 today. Ranch Acres in Tulsa. Gotta ask the staff and they have it in back.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Found some more 107 today. Ranch Acres in Tulsa. Gotta ask the staff and they have it in back.
    Good for you. I ask all around the OKC area and just get laughs.

User Tag List