Page 205 of 241 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I like the KC120, but, I'm not sure the 120 proof stuff would be encouraging for beginners.

Woodford is good stuff. For however much they charge on AA these days, I'm not complaining about it being Woodford. It's not something I keep at home, because they are way too proud about their price/value. It's good, but, like Blanton's, not THAT good. YMMV, of course.
    What is nice about the higher proof stuff is that you can always add a few drops of water to bring it down a bit but there isn't much you can do for a lower proof that is too watered down tasting.

Your statement concerning the Woodford that "It's good, but, like Blanton's, not THAT good." is similar to what I've seen in many reviews and that is why I have never bought a bottle.

I got a bottle of Weller Antique 107 for Father's Day and I really like it. Not sure if I would buy it for myself at current prices but it's fun to try a hypebeast bourbon finally.

I've also started making my own Sazeracs at home. Big fan!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I like the KC120, but, I'm not sure the 120 proof stuff would be encouraging for beginners.

Woodford is good stuff. For however much they charge on AA these days, I'm not complaining about it being Woodford. It's not something I keep at home, because they are way too proud about their price/value. It's good, but, like Blanton's, not THAT good. YMMV, of course.
    A nice bit of fire right here. Agreed, not for the beginner.

Name:  AA77203A-C127-4D2D-9CBC-48D28C6F0F52.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  47.9 KB
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

I started enjoying bourbon a lot more, maybe just tasting it more, when I stopped using ice. If it needs to be toned down a bit I prefer a few drops of water now. That being said, drink it how you like it. There isn't a wrong way to drink bourbon. But some bourbons hold up to ice better than others. I really like Woodford, but not with ice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Student

Calling all Costco members

So now that Kirkland Signature small batch has been on the shelves for a while, what's the verdict? I hear that it is not a fair comparison to 1792 small batch despite its Barton sourcing, but it sounds like for 20bux and one whole liter it is filling the hole where Early Times bottled in bond used to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    So now that Kirkland Signature small batch has been on the shelves for a while, what's the verdict? I hear that it is not a fair comparison to 1792 small batch despite its Barton sourcing, but it sounds like for 20bux and one whole liter it is filling the hole where Early Times bottled in bond used to be.
    Interestingly, my local Costco liquor store does not offer any Kirkland branded spirits.
    I'll be in FL in a few weeks. Will check out Mom's Costco if I get the chance.

In the mean time, I've substituted Ezra 99 for Early Times BiB. I like the Ezra a bit better, actually. More expensive though, at $21/750mL at Total.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    I don't have Netflix, but apparently there's a series called 'Heist' which recently did a couple episodes on Pappygate.

Reception has been fairly mixed and I'm under the impression that it might be worth watching specifically if you are already familiar with what happened, and you want to see how many details they embellished or left out altogether.

Site Supporter
    Finally found something new to try. I have very little luck finding anything recommended in this thread. Don’t know if they are all allocated bottles or if I’m just going to the wrong liquor stores. I did find a store pick Russels Single Barrel too a couple weeks ago that was very good.

Anyway - hoping this is a good pick. I’m pretty sure I saw it recommended somewhere in this thread.

Name:  C7F0F446-A363-4E34-8A6A-473C06D412E4.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  62.2 KB

Looking at your photo:

1. What other Irishes have you tried other than Jameson? Tried any of the Redbreast lineup yet?
    2. Old Forester 1910 is often mixed with 1920 in equal parts to make a relatively common blend called a '1915'.
    3. If you make enough cocktails to be restocking gin, I'd argue that that rye makes a better base for in whiskey-based drinks than bourbon.
    4. Willett Pot Still has received pretty mixed reviews considering the hype for their 'Purple Top' bourbon. I'm under the impression that recently they listened to the customers and changed things up regarding the mashbill or the batching or something, but I don't recall how to verify a newer bottle.
    5. Do you have some ideas of what bourbons you would like to try at 120 proof and up?
    On the Irish front, I was into Irish whiskey long before I got into bourbon. I always keep a big bottle of Jameson on hand because, if I want to do some capital D Drinking and don’t feel like gin, Jameson & soda is my go-to. Other than that I typically keep a bottle of Green Spot or Redbreast on hand (right now it’s both) - actually had a bottle of Green Spot brought over by a family member from Ireland before it was imported to kick off my love of Irish whiskey. It’s not always stocked at the stores I go to, but when I can I also like to keep a bottle of Kinahan’s for a good sipper that’s a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 07-22-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Student
    A couple months ago, the first Stagg Jr. store picks, as well as batch 16, hit the shelves for not very long at a few Safeways in my state, Arizona. Weller, including CYPB, was placed upon temporary tables and wasn't even placed on the shelves at all.

The last week or so has seen Colonel EH. Taylor single barrels, along with the Buffalo Trace kosher versions, and Elmer T. Lee.

However, I haven't been hunting any of it at all, and I've not evem gone to my favorite shop that treats me well for at least a month, though I will see them tomorrow to see if they still have that Leopold Bros. Three-Chamber Rye, which is interesting if you care about how still design affects the final product.

The Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries has quite a trove of interviews online, among them Elmer T. Lee himself.
    https://kentuckyoralhistory.org/ark:/16417/xt7bnz80nz7q

At the end of his session, Mr. Lee is asked about his personal preferences for drinking.

TROLAND: When you sit down to drink some bourbon I suppose it's almost certain that you would choose Elmer T. Lee.

LEE: I do.

TROLAND: How do you, how do you drink it?

LEE: How do I drink it? I--different people have different tastes, of course--but I like a little soda with lime/lemon flavor--7Up, Sprite, something like that--but, uh, I take, put out a, a shot--1 oz.--over ice cubes and a little bit of 7Up or Sprite. That's the way I like it. As lot of people are drinking it with Coca Cola which, uh, don't appeal to me, but it's, a lot of people drink it that way. A lot of people drink it straight up or, you know, without anything but water and some of them drink it straight, uh, by just, just a shot down.
    Last edited by Yung; 07-23-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    A couple months ago, the first Stagg Jr. store picks, as well as batch 16, hit the shelves for not very long at a few Safeways in my state, Arizona. Weller, including CYPB, was placed upon temporary tables and wasn't even placed on the shelves at all.

The last week or so has seen Colonel EH. Taylor single barrels, along with the Buffalo Trace kosher versions, and Elmer T. Lee.

However, I haven't been hunting any of it at all, and I've not evem gone to my favorite shop that treats me well for at least a month, though I will see them tomorrow to see if they still have that Leopold Bros. Three-Chamber Rye, which is interesting if you care about how still design affects the final product.

The Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries has quite a trove of interviews online, among them Elmer T. Lee himself.
    https://kentuckyoralhistory.org/ark:/16417/xt7bnz80nz7q

At the end of his session, Mr. Lee is asked about his personal preferences for drinking.
    This post makes me sad. OMG sad.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List