Page 202 of 241 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

I tend to do that, and stash a case of a favorite.

Gentlemen, it's an Eagle Rare evening.

Student
    If you live in an ABC state, there's going to be state single barrel picks for Baker's available. If reception goes well, they will extend this pick program to the rest of the country.

Also, since some of you are in Wyoming, peep Pine Bluffs Distilling.

https://www.pinebluffsdistilling.com

It looks like most of their stuff is probably too young to drink for my taste with the exception of a couple offerings, but it is the most interesting variety I've seen from a single distillery that follows the farm-to-flask or grain-to-glass trend in the short time I've been paying attention to whiskey and for that alone I would venture visiting if I lived in your state.
    Last edited by Yung; 04-21-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Bored, and it was truck day for one of my outlying ABC stores. Scored a bottle of Eagle Rare, Early Times BIB, and THREE Henry McKenna 10 year single barrels. I havent seen the latter in almost a year. Stunned they let me buy all three that were on the shelf

Student
    ----

Student
    That McKenna 10 won the San Fran awards yet again this year. That's fine but everyone is anticipating the price to jack up yet again when the SRP already went up to $50 a while ago.

One of the whiskeytubers I watch said they saw a Knob Creek single barrel in the new wavy bottle design that was less than 9 years old. I've already been snapping up any 10, 12 to 15 year picks on sight, since that's my main go-to along with Turkey.

Speaking of Turkey, that Russell's Reserve 13 Year is supposedly on the shelves now somewhere in America. I'm hunting it.

Site Supporter
    Catching up on this thread...... Been a busy couple of weeks.

1. Blanton's store pick..... Somehow, I managed not to open it before my BiL got here (I hid it from myself). Not only this, but, we were so busy with other samplings that I didn't open it while he was here, so, I still have it! I'll likely open it this weekend and will report back.

2. As mentioned earlier, I put away the Smoke Wagon (Unfiltered Uncut Single Barrel #42) so that I could offer a taste to my BiL and others. This was the biggest hit of the weekend. Everyone else's favorite (my #2), besting even a barrel proof Stagg Jr (my #1). This is a bit less firey than the Stagg. I think it made a big difference on first impression. See my comments up-thread.

3. Stagg Jr Barrel Proof (65.55%), unfiltered. I need to recheck the label, but, I think this was batch 15. As great as the Smoke Wagon was, this one was by far my favorite. Everything you think of when you think of Stagg, but way more. It definitely has an alcohol bite, but, an ice cube (or some water) took care of that. Just a super-concentrated version of the regular Stagg. Fantastic. Everyone else that tried it thought it was great, but, the big alcohol takes a few points off the first impression, especially if you're new to high-proof Bourbons. Just WOW. Thanks @Yung !!
    Review here: https://www.thebourbonbard.com/stagg...rbon-reviewed/

4. Other interesting recent tastes.

-- Devils River Barrel Strength (117 proof) and Devils River Single Barrel, Barrel Proof (130 proof!!).
    https://devilsriverwhiskey.com/buy-d...river-whiskey/
    Both of these were a huge surprise. Distilled in Texas. Aged only 2 years (in Texas). You can tell they're a bit young, but, very good for such a young age. I'm looking forward to seeing what another 2 years brings to these very good spirits. TotalWine here is selling the 117 proof in 50mL size. Makes it easy to give it a try. Surprisingly smooth given the proof and surprisingly complex given the young age.

-- Stellum Bourbon, from the makers of Barrel spirits.
    https://www.breakingbourbon.com/arti...r-joe-beatrice
    The core Stellum Bourbon release: Cask Strength, 114.98 proof blend of 3 Indiana Bourbon Mashbills, KY Bourbon, and TN Bourbon. Based around 5-6 year old barrels but 4-16 year old barrels are utilized. This is not a batch, it will be always available and consistent.
    It's basically a blended Bourbon... Excellent. I won't be surprised to see it winning awards.
    I liked it a lot more than this guy.... Review: https://thebourbonfinder.com/stellum-bourbon/

5. Also....
    Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey, 90 proof. I'd put it in the same tier as Larceny, but at a lower price point. About $25/750mL. Definitely worth a try if you like Wheated Bourbons.
    https://heavenhilldistillery.com/ber...at-whiskey.php
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    Great end to that story arc, @RoyGBiv. You're much welcome.

- Keep an eye out for Redemption's 10 Year High-Rye Bourbon. It comes in a short, squat bottle and in my speculation is your best feasible option for older MGP bourbon stock in the forseeable future. While not blended with the best younger barrels that Aaron Chepenik puts in his uncut, it's just as good if not marginally better. I've seen prices for it run from around $90-$120, but alternatively, my newest pour is Obtainium by Cat's Eye Distillery out of Iowa, which runs about $60 and sources MGP light whiskey around 13 years old. The proofs run in the 130s to hazmat territory, being light whiskey.

- I prefer Stagg Jr. batch 14 to batch 15, but I believe that hard cherry/strawberry chew note is what's made #15 stand out so much. I've been able to find it again in a Woodinville pick from my store (which are not proofed down to their standard 90), and in both the Driftless Glen picks (barrel no. 2020, and no. 1956 by Don's Liquors & Wine (which is out of California but has online shipping to a lot of states maybe including Texas). I've had to keep in mind that due to different mashbills and ages between those three bottles that the note won't be balanced out the same way.

- Stellum/Barrell's had good enough reception from enough folks that I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying them, but they are definitely a try-a-pour-before-a-bottle, because between batches 25, 26, 27, Armida, and Dovetail, I was so disappointed that I wrote them off for myself altogether, and I'm someone who doesn't mind the mineral taste in George Dickel at all.

T’was a busy week...taught a WML class Tuesday and then a 20-hour patrol rifle class Wednesday and Thursday. This was yesterday afternoon/evening on the back porch. Plenty of heat on this bottle...129 proof...the chick fil a cookie softened it a little.

Name:  334FD750-BC5C-49B8-85E4-35BB5D1F3A05.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  43.1 KB

I just had a nip of J.T.S. Brown out on the deck in salute to my bourbon bros...especially @CWM11B who is responsible for its being here to start with.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List