Page 183 of 241 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Hey guys...I'm in Oklahoma too. Unfortunately here in Shawnee there isn't a great selection and I have to go to the metro area to find most anything that is reasonably priced.

I tend to like the high proof bourbons and always have. I started with BIB 100 proof so anything under that tastes watered down to me.

For starters I would recommend Evan Williams white label for an inexpensive option.

Henry McKenna 10 year is very good if you can find it.

There's also Elijah Craig and Knob Creek. If you like mild bourbon you'll want to start with the lower proof versions of these.

One of my all time favorites is Weller Antique 107 but it is usually difficult to find and way overpriced anymore.

If you like the WT 101, a lot of people do, you're fortunate because it always seems easy to find. It's just too sweet for me and I drink all my whiskey neat so I'm not used to "sweet" when it comes to my sippin' whiskey. Just my own personal tastes.

Cheers!
    I agree on the Weller's Antique 107. I used to be able to buy it weekly at a local mom and pop shop in Tulsa but unfortunaly they can't get it anymore. One of the best liquor stores in Tulsa is Parkhill. They have an awesome inventory of bourbons. They stock the Balcones pretty deep there too.

I agree on your sentiment on the Bonded in Bottle, can't beat it for the money. Old Granddad 114 (not BiB) is a good high proof for not a lot of money.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    I agree on the Weller's Antique 107. I used to be able to buy it weekly at a local mom and pop shop in Tulsa but unfortunaly they can't get it anymore. One of the best liquor stores in Tulsa is Parkhill. They have an awesome inventory of bourbons. They stock the Balcones pretty deep there too.

I agree on your sentiment on the Bonded in Bottle, can't beat it for the money. Old Granddad 114 (not BiB) is a good high proof for not a lot of money.
    Yes, there are several good Bottled In Bond (BIB) whiskies that are a good value.

One of my favorites is Rittenhouse Rye. It's big brother, at 110 proof, is Pikesville Rye and it is really good. You might notice that I like Heaven Hill products.

If you're into mild whiskey, Mellow Corn, another HH product, is a (BIB) corn whiskey that I didn't care for because it is so sweet (like drinking liquid creamed corn) but a lot of people like it.

I had high hopes for Old Grand Dad 114 because I had heard a lot of good reviews about it but I was really disappointed in it.

Like I said before, I drink whiskey neat so that's how I judge them for myself. A lot of the whiskies I don't care for would probably be just fine for mixed drinks or cocktails.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Yes, there are several good Bottled In Bond (BIB) whiskies that are a good value.

One of my favorites is Rittenhouse Rye. It's big brother, at 110 proof, is Pikesville Rye and it is really good. You might notice that I like Heaven Hill products.

If you're into mild whiskey, Mellow Corn, another HH product, is a (BIB) corn whiskey that I didn't care for because it is so sweet (like drinking liquid creamed corn) but a lot of people like it.

I had high hopes for Old Grand Dad 114 because I had heard a lot of good reviews about it but I was really disappointed in it.

Like I said before, I drink whiskey neat so that's how I judge them for myself. A lot of the whiskies I don't care for would probably be just fine for mixed drinks or cocktails.
    It's a sin to mix bourbon with anything in my book. I do add a single ice cube to open them up though.
    www.hero911.org

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    It's a sin to mix bourbon with anything in my book. I do add a single ice cube to open them up though.
    Nothing wrong with a Manhattan or Old Fashioned, IMO.
    Just don't make it with Weller 12.
    Straight to hades.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Manhattan or Old Fashioned, IMO.
    Just don't make it with Weller 12.
    Straight to hades.
    I'll give you that
    www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Couldn’t find the Woodford but did find the BH. They only had a large bottle and didn’t wanna spend that much on a trial. I ended up getting Wild Turkey 101. I got it before reading through all the suggestions :/

I’m in Edmond. Well that’s kinda the thing, I haven’t really drank many spirits in the past decade or so and I’m trying to step up from a glass of wine in the evenings. Figured my tastes needed to mature haha

Okay maybe I should’ve said what’s the Glock 19 of bourbon or the LTT 92 of bourbon.

I should’ve waited until I read all the replies but I got antsy and got Wild Turkey 101 based on a recommendation I read online. It’ll be a starting point.
    Go to Second street wine in front of Target behind McD and tell them what you’ve tried and liked and they can get you pointed in the right direction. I’ve spent too much time and money in that store.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It was good enough for Janis.
    Yeah, but it killed her.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I am so not a drinker in any way. The hard liquor I've tried, I didn't like. This one, I liked. Very good in camp coffee up in the mountains.

Camp coffee? You don't need to pay that much to zip up your coffee. A bottle of cheap brandy will do that at half the price.

Anyways, I don't know anything about good whiskey. I bought a bottle of Bulleit at Costco and was glad when it was gone.

I might buy a bottle of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels every now and then so you know I don't have a clue what good whiskey is.

Cigars is a different story.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-05-2021 at 10:24 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Camp coffee? You don't need to pay that much to zip up your coffee. A bottle of cheap brandy will do that at half the price.

Anyways, I don't know anything about good whiskey. I bought a bottle of Bulleit at Costco and was glad when it was gone.

I might buy a bottle of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels every now and then so you know I don't have a clue what good whiskey is.

Cigars is a different story.

Well, I certainly dont know anything about good whiskey either. The Bulleit is fair enough. It takes me a year or more to finish a bottle when Im hitting it regularly so the price isnt much of an issue. I think better would be wasted on me, and cheaper isnt appealing, besides the bottle is cool.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Student
    Remember to stock up on Early Times bonded if you like it, as we're not sure what's going to happen with availability since Sazerac acquired them last summer.

User Tag List