I just got off the phone with our friend @CWM11B

I hope you had one in our honor.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nice @KeeFus

I just got off the phone with our friend @CWM11B

I hope you had one in our honor.
    I haven’t cracked them yet.

If you get down to Roseboro (about 5 miles south of Salemburg...home of the Justice Academy) check out the ABC store. My first time going today...just missed Old Fitz 8 year. They also had Sazarac Rye, McKenna 10 year, Pinhook, and some others I cannot remember.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Well...[emoji16]
    I’ve gone through most of what I bought last time I posted in this thread (plus another bottle of the Old Forester and . . . a few bottles of Rare Breed). For what is just available on the shelf, I still find that very hard to beat. Tried the comparable Russels and enjoyed that - it definitely hits a lot of the same notes. The Old Forester Prohibition Style was a big hit. After trying the bottle I had a couple times, I picked up another bottle for a family get-together over Easter. It didn’t survive the night.

One real disappointment I’ve had is with the Old Forester Old Fine Whisky. Decided to give it a shot a couple weeks ago and don’t really care for it. I need to get another bottle of the Prohibition Style and taste them side by side to figure out why. I always tell myself I’m going to dive more into the details of whiskey (and wine), but too often get lazy and leave it at “liked” or “didn’t like.”

Stopped by the store today for a gin restock and came across the Rare Breed Rye so I had to buy a bottle. Somehow I’ve accumulated a fair amount of rye, and I almost never drink it. Guess I need to figure that out too.

Have heard a few comments like “don’t we have enough brown liquor” lately from the girlfriend, so decided to take a family photo. Have a feeling this compares poorly to the average poster in this thread, so please keep recommendations coming.
    Name:  16744687-6F77-408F-8902-16F0E8183673.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  101.2 KB

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    please keep recommendations coming.
    Looking at your photo:

1. What other Irishes have you tried other than Jameson? Tried any of the Redbreast lineup yet?
    2. Old Forester 1910 is often mixed with 1920 in equal parts to make a relatively common blend called a '1915'.
    3. If you make enough cocktails to be restocking gin, I'd argue that that rye makes a better base for in whiskey-based drinks than bourbon.
    4. Willett Pot Still has received pretty mixed reviews considering the hype for their 'Purple Top' bourbon. I'm under the impression that recently they listened to the customers and changed things up regarding the mashbill or the batching or something, but I don't recall how to verify a newer bottle.
    5. Do you have some ideas of what bourbons you would like to try at 120 proof and up?

Picked these two up yesterday. The James E Pepper 1776 is pretty good full of fire and a nice finish. The Wilderness Trail is an interesting one. According to the guy at the store, they use a sweet mash vs a sour mash. It definitely has a different taste. Both of these are Bottled in Bond so they are 100 proof each. The 1776 is more full of fire than the Wilderness Trail. Still trying to decide if I like the Wilderness or not.

Name:  778B6870-F532-406C-A6F6-59921C7475F6.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  60.3 KB
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I’ve gone through most of what I bought last time I posted in this thread (plus another bottle of the Old Forester and . . . a few bottles of Rare Breed). For what is just available on the shelf, I still find that very hard to beat. Tried the comparable Russels and enjoyed that - it definitely hits a lot of the same notes. The Old Forester Prohibition Style was a big hit. After trying the bottle I had a couple times, I picked up another bottle for a family get-together over Easter. It didn’t survive the night.

One real disappointment I’ve had is with the Old Forester Old Fine Whisky. Decided to give it a shot a couple weeks ago and don’t really care for it. I need to get another bottle of the Prohibition Style and taste them side by side to figure out why. I always tell myself I’m going to dive more into the details of whiskey (and wine), but too often get lazy and leave it at “liked” or “didn’t like.”

Stopped by the store today for a gin restock and came across the Rare Breed Rye so I had to buy a bottle. Somehow I’ve accumulated a fair amount of rye, and I almost never drink it. Guess I need to figure that out too.

Have heard a few comments like “don’t we have enough brown liquor” lately from the girlfriend, so decided to take a family photo. Have a feeling this compares poorly to the average poster in this thread, so please keep recommendations coming.
    Name:  16744687-6F77-408F-8902-16F0E8183673.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  101.2 KB
    Grab a bottle of Knob Creek 120 proof, preferably single barrel select, if you get the chance.

Site Supporter
    Monday is......

https://www.nationalbourbonday.com/

Please celebrate safely.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    Fellas, get that Rebel (Yell) 10-Year Single Barrel if you see it. At $65 and 100 proof, it's the wheated Heaven Hill mashbill yet still manages to blow out any Henry McKenna bottled-in-bond I've ever had.

Russell's Reserve 13 hit the shelves in Arizona but unfortunately Total Wine seems to have gotten the lion's share of it from the distributors, so I think I'm probably going to end up missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Fellas, get that Rebel (Yell) 10-Year Single Barrel if you see it. At $65 and 100 proof, it's the wheated Heaven Hill mashbill yet still manages to blow out any Henry McKenna bottled-in-bond I've ever had.

Russell's Reserve 13 hit the shelves in Arizona but unfortunately Total Wine seems to have gotten the lion's share of it from the distributors, so I think I'm probably going to end up missing it.
    Ummm...I don't think Rebel Yell is a Heaven Hill product.

It used to be a Stitzel-Weller product.

User Tag List