Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support index finger going to front of Glock trigger guard

Finger forward used to be really popular and at one time pretty much all the top competitive shooters seemed to be using it. It has gradually fallen out of favor in the U.S. but is still very common overseas. I personally have found it seems to help my grip with the smaller guns (J-frames, sub-compact Glocks, etc.) but not so much with full size firearms.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I'd like to see evidence of non-superhuman shooters in the US using it to good effect. Even better, I'd like to see video of one or more PF members using it successfully and consistently in a practical shooting match.

Citing a handful of borderline-superhero-grade shooters as using it successfully, IMHO, doesn't really tell me anything. Note that Angus basically admits that he is an exception among many people who advise against shooting this way.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    ... and also it puts my hand/finger so high up that it often interferes with my trigger finger (the tip of the trigger finger comes into contact with the weak palm/index finger.)

I learnt it way back in the 1900's. I haven't had any problems with interference with the trigger finger.

My dad shot some action pistol stuff in the 90's. The modern grip everyone was using felt profoundly awkward to me, I just stayed with the old backwards way of shooting I was used to, like thumbs down and left index on the trigger guard. I'm not very high speed, literally or figuratively.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I learnt it way back in the 1900's. I haven't had any problems with interference with the trigger finger.

My dad shot some action pistol stuff in the 90's. The modern grip everyone was using felt profoundly awkward to me, I just stayed with the old backwards way of shooting I was used to, like thumbs down and left index on the trigger guard. I'm not very high speed, literally or figuratively.
    Yeah, but you make up for it with awesome guns and spectacularly awesome photography. So there's that.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Thinking on the subject a bit more, the slightly higher grip afforded by the finger on the front of the trigger guard seems to help cock single action revolvers more easily. Not really a consideration for most.

Not recommended by most people. There are definitely examples of a few top shooters that do it, but I think even they don't generally recommend it.

The upside is that putting your index finger on the front of the trigger guard allows a higher support hand grip.

The downsides are that the gun is more subject to steering via pressure applied through that index finger to the trigger guard, and that the main group of support hand fingers (2nd, 3rd, 4th) are deprived of the addition of that index finger's strength, which I think is a significant portion of overall support hand grip strength.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Not recommended by most people. There are definitely examples of a few top shooters that do it, but I think even they don't generally recommend it.

The upside is that putting your index finger on the front of the trigger guard allows a higher support hand grip.

The downsides are that the gun is more subject to steering via pressure applied through that index finger to the trigger guard, and that the main group of support hand
    fingers (2nd, 3rd, 4th) are deprived of the addition of that index finger's strength, which I think is a significant portion of overall support hand grip strength.
    Right on. I experimented with a variant of this, jamming my support middle finger, rather than trigger finger, in the corner made by the trigger guard and strong hand fingers. I didn't care where support trigger finger went. You in fact get quite high on the grip, but the grip strength is diminished. Comparative testing suggested that strength was more important than grip height.

I have a couple of long-time shooters on my "squad" who use this technique. I asked one of them about it the other day, and was told it's a "training scar" from his first FI, who taught he and his class mates to shoot a DA revolver with both fingers on the trigger.

I'm pretty sure that to break this, I'd have to walk the line with a switch and whip the ever-living kitten out of those offending digits whenever I saw them. Something tells me this would be a "bad thing" (TM), all things considered...

From my observations training / teaching and dealing with many Glock shooters, this technique is not a good thing. Only a small minority have good results and that is generally very good to excellent shooters who have utilized this technique as a natural progression over many years. The general finding is that the majority of shooters who use this method have a negative influence on the weapon at some point(s) in their shooting regimen.

User Tag List