Thread: Surefire E2D Defender Ultra or E2B?

Site Supporter

Surefire E2D Defender Ultra or E2B?

Trying to decide between the two for my regular EDC light. I have a E1B Backup when a smaller light is needed. Anyone have one or the other? Thoughts?

I hate the sharp edges on the defender model. I normally carry a light in my off-side front pocket and the defender pokes holes and shreds clothes easily.
    I don't see the tactical advantage if you were going to strike someone with the bezel. A sharp jab with the EB2 would cause similar damage.

I have carried a SF light in some variation since probably getting the very first E2D light they came out with. I have also gone through several transitions in lights. I'll preface by saying that I'm sure there are several quality light from other Mfg's out there, but I prefer SF products, keep coming back to them, just wish they's lower the pricing....I'm a light junkie I guess. I had an E2D LED and it like the original are sharp. Carry in my support side pocket with the bezel up would cause my wife to scrape her hand across it while holding hands and walking. They also would wear on my clothing and pockets. The new 500 lumen E2D is set up for bezel down or up, but the clip lends itself to bezel down much better. But it has worn small holes in my pockets as well. My LX2 started to wear a tad bit on my pants bezel down as well, but nothing like the E2D's did. Since getting the EB1 and EB2's they have gone with me daily in plain clothes and have not done any extreme wear to my clothing other than is normally seen by pocket clips and knives going in and out of pockets. Plus if inclined, you can try one of these on the EB series of lights for light use and weapon manipulations,
    http://thyrm.com/product/switchback-backup/
    I have one to play around with, pros and cons like anything else, still undecided, but thought I'd mention it......just my .02 from my experience.

I also use the e2b with thyrm... Nice setup if you know what your doing. I use a neck index to search/ present then as soon as possible switch to a two hand grip using the thyrm..

Necropost

Any new info on the E2D LED? Since Im now riding a motor most of the time I have been using my Streamlight Protac 2L exclusively. Nothing wrong with it but I want to try something new. Maybe I will just buy another Protac.

Opinions...?
    Last edited by KeeFus; 10-15-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    I carried nothing but Surefire daily for about a 15 year period, ending a few years ago. Since switching to FourSevens and Klarus, I have not noticed any loss of reliability. Surefire makes good lights, but I cannot justify the expense, particularly given the excellent user interface of Klarus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Unfortunately Surefire discontinued the "tactical" switch and now the new EB2s have the click type switch, which always struck me as a horrible idea.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    Unfortunately Surefire discontinued the "tactical" switch and now the new EB2s have the click type switch, which always struck me as a horrible idea.
    The user interface of my E2DL is one of the things that really started to make me realize that Surefire had lost the way. With a mode change any time the switch is activated within 2 times of a previous mode change, rapid use of the light, as would be done while searching, would often result in 5 lumens when I really needed 200.

The EB1T I purchased had a head with firmware that was designed to work with both a tactical and clicky switch. So again, working the switch rapidly could potentially put the light in low mode. I understand that Surefire has since corrected that issue, but they were unable to fix it for me when I sent the light in for service.

I ordered my first FourSevens, a Quark 123^2, which is the predecessor to the QT2L, for $27 from their clearance page, and realized that the $27 light was more likely to do what I wanted it to do than two different $150-$200 lights. That wad when I decided I was done with Surefire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List