Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How much should the gun/trigger system matter?

To backtrack a little and look at the OP, "How much should a gun/trigger system matter?" I find it interesting to look at TLG's recent decision to go P229 over P30. He said, "The driving force between the HK and SIG for me here was trigger quality, by far." So while conceding the HK was likely to be the most durable/reliable of the two, trigger system was the trump card.

It just depends as many have said on what you are trying to accomplish. (FYI no dog in the fight, I have P30 LEM and like it)

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have a theory on this. Stand by for a PM.
    Back at you, brother - sorry for the delay (day 3 down; icing multiple airsoft welts right now...)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier post, and sorry it took so long to get back; just got done with day 3.

In retrospect, I think I may have disingenuously phrased my earlier post, somehow laying the ND blame at the feet of the platform. As I told Nyeti off-line, the REAL take away from this is that there are some folks who could ND with a bowling ball, and, quite frankly, modern LE management will not allow the kind of "pain retains" corrective techniques that will get through to those folks. There are also quite a few people, in and out of LE, for whom the "stress" of a simulated shooting scenario makes them vapor lock, incapable of coherent thought, reasoned response to stimulus, or fine motor skill use. Positive Target Identification simply IS NOT happening for these folks. If I gave them a rubber chicken to do the drill, they would have thrown it at their "friendly" that they were not expecting (even though they were told it was a link up drill before I started making the banging noise and screaming).

Quite fortunately, this latter group IS trainable - IF resources (most importantly TIME) are available to do the training. And, it doesn't have to be elaborate - at least once a week, because I'm passionate about it, I incorporate movement and single-officer response tactics into my dry fire time. My kids and wife are now used to having me wander through the house, "limited penetrating" doors and barking commands/questions (the Rhodesian still doesn't get it, but, he just likes to chase the SIRT laser, I think...)

So, do I think the blue-on-blues would have been prevented if those students had a (Sig/CZ/Beretta/Glock/1911/insert brand here) instead? Nope. I just think that finger on the trigger combined with a startle reflex and bad PID is going to get the wrong people killed (or at least lead to lots of cases of brown shorts). Do I think that "switched on" guys are MUCH more aware of their trigger finger, and, as a result, are MUCH less likely to ND? You betcha. The difference? Attitude and desire.

One of the "best" performing students in this class was a late 20s female who specializes in National Security stuff - no LE background prior to our hiring her. But, her head works when things get loud, and she can control herself and her actions regardless of sets of stimuli that we set up specifically to get folks to vapor lock. She's not a "gun guy" - carries her issued DAK-triggered Sig, hates the 12 ga qualification, and never held an AR-platform rifle before this week - and she's 5'7" and about 110 pounds. NOT "Tactical Ted." But, you better believe when money comes down the pike for more training on long arms and tactics, she's going to be the top of my list of folks to train - because she can THINK under stress. I'd have no worries about her being behind me in any stack on any entry anywhere anytime.

Sorry if that's rambling, it's been a long, warmish day, and I've got a bleeding head wound from an airsoft pellet that hit me right above my face-shield, so I'm not at 100% right now...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    One of the "best" performing students in this class was a late 20s female who specializes in National Security stuff - no LE background prior to our hiring her. But, her head works when things get loud, and she can control herself and her actions regardless of sets of stimuli that we set up specifically to get folks to vapor lock. She's not a "gun guy" - carries her issued DAK-triggered Sig, hates the 12 ga qualification, and never held an AR-platform rifle before this week - and she's 5'7" and about 110 pounds. NOT "Tactical Ted." But, you better believe when money comes down the pike for more training on long arms and tactics, she's going to be the top of my list of folks to train - because she can THINK under stress. I'd have no worries about her being behind me in any stack on any entry anywhere anytime.
    Yes, but does she look like Jessica Chastain?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes, but does she look like Jessica Chastain?
    The fact that I had to Google "Jessica Chastain" shows how hopelessly out of touch with modern culture I am... Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

The fact that I had to Google "Jessica Chastain" shows how hopelessly out of touch with modern culture I am... Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
    you tell me

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    you tell me

Yup - she looks JUST like that. Only different...

Everyone has their priorities when it comes to weapon selection. Like most things, gun stuff is a series of trade offs. To ME, a shootable trigger is one of the most important things I require. It's a big reason that my Glocks are in the safe and I went back to carrying DA/SA SIGs some years ago. I just shoot them better, period. I'm willing to trade some extra weight for a better trigger.

Ken

Psalms,

Take a listen to Why Some Soldiers Thrive Under Extreme Stress by And Morgan on the Yale Medical School podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u...gy/id387232684

You may find it explains what you are seeing in this trainee. It posits a "born" or genetic ability to handle. Many do not like thinking it is a trait you may be born to do...

Doug

User Tag List