Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Review: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X Neckband hearing protectors

Gear Review: MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X Neckband hearing protectors

Alternate working title: "You paid WHAT for those earmuffs? Seriously? And they're worth it, you say?"

Name:  IMG_2966.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  82.5 KB

Hearing protection is a topic I feel very strongly about, due to personal experience with the hearing damage than can quickly accumulate when unprotected ears are exposed to loud environments. In my teen years, during the late 1980′s, a good friend of mine organized several road trips to rock concerts in nearby cities. Every single one of these concerts was at an indoor arena of some sort, and after every one of those concerts my body was sending me warning signals that I was damaging my hearing. In those days, though, there were no tables with volunteers handing out free pairs of foam earplugs, and I had no idea I was permanently damaging my hearing. As a result, I have persistent tinnitus in my right ear, and mild hearing loss in certain frequency ranges, all 100% preventable with proper hearing protection.

These days, I’m deadly serious about my hearing protection. I double up with earplugs and over-the-ear muffs at indoor ranges, so the advent of decent affordable electronic over-the-ear (muff-type) hearing protection was very welcome. Amplified ear-pro allows me to turn up the volume a bit so normal sounds get past the earplugs, but I still get full protection when a loud sound triggers the suppression circuit. For the last 3+ years I’ve used the ubiquitous Howard Leight Impact Sports, which are an excellent budget option for electronic ear-pro. When I got serious about shooting, though, it was time for something that would be comfortable being worn all day, survive any weather conditions, and deliver great sound quality. Oh, and it had to be hat- and helmet-compatible…

Short-attention-span version of review: $321 shipped with optional gel ear-cups from SRS Tactical. Totally worth it, you can wear them all day for weeks with zero discomfort. If you need to be able to turn your ear-pro around backwards to hear instructors etc, get the headband version. If you shoot a lot, save your pennies and get you a pair of these. You WILL thank me later, long after the sting of the purchase has faded.

Full review at my blog, as it's far too long to fit into a PF post, including tips I worked up while using them intensively.

Glad to answer any questions, here or at the blog. Please note that I paid full price for mine and receive no compensation from the manufacturer or any distributors linked in my article.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

These have a woefully low NRR rating of 19. I wear a pair of amplified Pro Ears rated 25 outdoors and another pair of 33 indoors. I tried on a pair of these Sordins and they were also rather small fitting for those with large brain boxes. The silicone gel pads are appealing.

NRR is a weighted average of sound attenuation 20Hz-20kHz and is only useful as a general measure. For the audio frequency peak range of 1-2kHz for 9mm pistol fire, the Sordins are good for something like a 29dB reduction.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    NRR is a weighted average of sound attenuation 20Hz-20kHz and is only useful as a general measure. For the audio frequency peak range of 1-2kHz for 9mm pistol fire, the Sordins are good for something like a 29dB reduction.
    This is good to know, this is why my Sordins sound, to myself and others, to be far better than the 22NRR.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I had the MSA Sordins with the gel cups and I felt that the 22NRR was pretty accurate. I double plugged on indoor ranges, where I felt it was required, and occasionally at outdoor ranges.

I came from a set of 33NRR Pro Mag Gold muffs, it took a lot of adjustment time, and I felt like it was a mistake. I've since gone back to a higher NRR set of muffs.

Sames. I went back to 33s (plus plugs indoors). The sordins would be good for a class but so would a $50 pair of Howard Leights, unless one went to an awful lot of classes.
    Ignore Alien Orders

What are the lowest profile electronic muffs that will be me above 29dB NRR? I need something to shoot 3gun without hitting my muffs.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    IME, if you want an NRR > 29, it's not low profile. If you'll lower that to 26, Pro Ears has some low'ish profile units.

One issue that is overlooked all the time in favor of price is fit. I've seen dozens of people with the HL Impacts that did not seal completely behind the ear on the bottom.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Thanks, JV.
    Has anyone tried out the new Hear Defenders -DF? These use the Double passive filters.
    I was thinking of ordering the Chameleon custom fitted earplugs and get them fitted with the DF option.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List