Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some more welding - Stainless Springer

Site Supporter
    Was that work done by hand?
    Looks like robot-level precision to my untrained eye.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

not full length because why?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    not full length because why?
    The rails along the mag well don't do much to support the slide so it's extra work for very little return. When using the old fashioned peening method of tightening the slide to frame fit the mag well area was left alone too. In fact, you could remove the rails where the mag well is and it would have very little change in the accuracy of the pistol. STI double stack frames (2011s) omit this section of the rails to get around the Para Ordnance patent on a wide body 1911 and few people even notice.
    Dave Berryhill

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    The rails along the mag well don't do much to support the slide so it's extra work for very little return. <snip> In fact, you could remove the rails where the mag well is and it would have very little change in the accuracy of the pistol.
    Not much rail is required. Metal? Even less.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can you do this to Glock rails?
    Sure, but why?

I am thoroughly intrigued by your welding. It looks to me that very little heat is imparted to the frame during this process, is that an accurate perception?

Regards,
    Shane

The rails along the mag well don't do much to support the slide so it's extra work for very little return. When using the old fashioned peening method of tightening the slide to frame fit the mag well area was left alone too. In fact, you could remove the rails where the mag well is and it would have very little change in the accuracy of the pistol. STI double stack frames (2011s) omit this section of the rails to get around the Para Ordnance patent on a wide body 1911 and few people even notice.
    This explains to me why a Glock or M&P riding on four little slivers of rail still works.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    I am thoroughly intrigued by your welding. It looks to me that very little heat is imparted to the frame during this process, is that an accurate perception?

Regards,
    Shane
    Not only is the heat affected zone very small but the composition of the filler material and the amount of build up are carefully controlled. It doesn't get much better than this for welding on a firearm. I have this frame in hand now and there is no discoloration of the areas surrounding the welds.

The welding is even more impressive than the photos show.
    Dave Berryhill

Bill, what would you do for a loose Sig? Could you build up the slide rails?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

User Tag List