Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Wrong To Lust?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Is It Wrong To Lust?

One of the LGSs in my town tends to do a lot more trade in used/older weapons. They just got in a Colt Detective Special, one of the ones with a shrounded ejector rod. A couple of little dings here and there in the bluing and the original grips are long gone, but otherwise.....

The gunsmith is going to do whatever checks he does before he puts it out on the shelf. They're mulling over the price, should be under $600 by a bit.

I think I'm in lust.

You can't help but notice how most modern Colt revolvers are starting to bring a premium in the used gun market.

This early 70's example had a lot of worn bluing after being carried as a 2nd gun for a couple of decades but it recently got a new lease on life with an application of Hard Chrome. I think it's good for a few more miles now. I hope you enjoy yours when you get it.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

A pre-1972 Agent, in decent shape and for less than a king's ransom, has been one of my long-time grail guns. I thought I had finally run it down at Cabela's a few months back, but a closer look revealed someone had drilled it- poorly- for the hammer shroud. No shroud, of course, and in pretty ratty shape overall.

Which explained the $400 price tag. I should have known better before even looking closer. Dunno how it is at other Cabelas stores, but the Gun Library here has always been overly proud of their stuff.

Of course, I have to ask myself WHY I want a temperamental Colt when I have the lightweight medium snubby angle covered with a 2" RB M-12 and a M-242.

At the ones around here, 90% of the guns are priced at a point that suggest's they're made of 24k gold, but I've seen some very nice Smith and Colt revos for what seem like very reasonable prices - compared to Gunbroker buy it now prices anyway. Always when I have no money, too.

nice pistols, I have an early 70's model that still has a tag on the trigger, never fired,no marks on the cylinder, it was left to me by my grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    A pre-1972 Agent, in decent shape and for less than a king's ransom, has been one of my long-time grail guns. I thought I had finally run it down at Cabela's a few months back, but a closer look revealed someone had drilled it- poorly- for the hammer shroud. No shroud, of course, and in pretty ratty shape overall.

Which explained the $400 price tag. I should have known better before even looking closer. Dunno how it is at other Cabelas stores, but the Gun Library here has always been overly proud of their stuff.

Of course, I have to ask myself WHY I want a temperamental Colt when I have the lightweight medium snubby angle covered with a 2" RB M-12 and a M-242.

I'll bring MS's 1982 Detective Special when we do a revolver day, then you will know why.

I have always liked Colt Detective Specials and Agents. I kick myself for not buying a parkerized Agent when they were churning those out relatively cheaply. Of course, I wouldn't use one today as a high volume shooter when they can't be replaced or likely repaired easily either.

Ken

I rescued (that is how I justified it..) a Colt Agent with the shroud from one of my favorite gun shops a couple of years ago. Nearly brought a buddy of mine to tears when he saw it-"Damn, I shot a lot of bad dudes with one just like it". Warms my heart. Its a companion to his old 1911 that was also another black plague on the enemies of America. A lot of guys who were really active in the 70's seem to love the Detective Specials and the the Agents. I think the extra round really made them much better for L/E type folks working in undercover roles in their minds. Imagine a time when six rounds instead of 5 was considered "much" better "firepower". Contrary to what many believe, those were some very violent times and much more dangerous to L/E than today.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I rescued (that is how I justified it..) a Colt Agent with the shroud from one of my favorite gun shops a couple of years ago. Nearly brought a buddy of mine to tears when he saw it-"Damn, I shot a lot of bad dudes with one just like it". Warms my heart. Its a companion to his old 1911 that was also another black plague on the enemies of America. A lot of guys who were really active in the 70's seem to love the Detective Specials and the the Agents. I think the extra round really made them much better for L/E type folks working in undercover roles in their minds. Imagine a time when six rounds instead of 5 was considered "much" better "firepower". Contrary to what many believe, those were some very violent times and much more dangerous to L/E than today.
    How did they ever survive without Glock 17's in such a time I wonder?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The cylinder turns the wrong way.

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    How did they ever survive without Glock 17's in such a time I wonder?
    The same way they survived before repeating pistols, or reliable percussion caps, or flintlocks, or slowmatch, or steel...

People survived before air conditioning, but if I catch you outside monkeying with my Trane in July, we're gonna have words.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List