Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Camo on your fighting rifles

Wow! You guys are good. I've thought about painting my rifle but haven't come up with a good reason until now. A black rifle just stands out everywhere and it's an image that we appreciate but not everyone does.. So breaking up the outline might be reason enough ? Thinking...
    I have a gunsmith friend who is certified to paint Cerocote, so what does use to paint his guns? A rattle can.
    Do any of you paint your pistols? Maybe a question for the pistol section.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Wow! You guys are good. I've thought about painting my rifle but haven't come up with a good reason until now. A black rifle just stands out everywhere and it's an image that we appreciate but not everyone does.. So breaking up the outline might be reason enough ? Thinking...
    I have a gunsmith friend who is certified to paint Cerocote, so what does use to paint his guns? A rattle can.
    Do any of you paint your pistols? Maybe a question for the pistol section.
    There’s no practical reason because (ideally) nobody sees your pistol, but even a good paint on a plastic frame will look like doodie in short order.

I painted my AR because...I felt like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've posted this gun when freshly painted. Just thought I'd throw in how it looks now and how it looks under NODs:

Earlier this year I decided to paint my Colt pistol. The previous cerokote job was getting so worn on the high spots I was getting some rust on the bare metal. I cleaned it well and sanded the finish with super fine paper. Base of FDE then splotches of brown and a bit of green. I like it, it's ugly and now worn on the high spots and the oil removes it too. I did the magpul SL handguard on one AR. It was black and the direct sun here made it hot to handle. FDE, brown and green, I really like it.
    I have another well worn pistol that I'm thinking of painting when it becomes time for a major cleaning..

Site Supporter
    @Default.mp3 or anyone else; what paint are people using now that aerovoe has ceased production of their Camo paint line? I’ve got a 1301 that 4 days later is still tacky in some places after using some krylon for just a base coat.

The last time I painted some guns was 10 years ago and iirc that was krylon and while it might not have been the most durable finish, at least it was easy to apply and dried quickly. This new stuff seems lacking in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Default.mp3 or anyone else; what paint are people using now that aerovoe has ceased production of their Camo paint line? I’ve got a 1301 that 4 days later is still tacky in some places after using some krylon for just a base coat.

The last time I painted some guns was 10 years ago and iirc that was krylon and while it might not have been the most durable finish, at least it was easy to apply and dried quickly. This new stuff seems lacking in comparison.
    I believe the go-to these days is still Krylon's Camo line, though I've been told the difference between that and Rust-Oleum's Camo line is pretty minimal. I personally have a decent amount of Aervoe stocked up, so just working through that (though some of it is getting pretty old, so dunno how much longer they'll be good for just from an aerosol perspective), so no personal experience with anything else.

Site Supporter
    I just finished painting my carbine with Rapco spray paint from rapcoparts.com. The paint dried quickly, is very flat, and I think it looks good. I was going to just use Rustoleum since Aervoe was no longer readily available, and it’s not that important anyway, but I could not find a satisfactory selection of flat colors at my local big box stores. As I just painted it, I can’t testify to what is obviously one of the most important qualities, durability. I will try to post pics soon.

Site Supporter
    Name:  3B50F687-D261-4A86-AF66-EDCC324F1100.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  58.1 KB

I’m probably not done screwing around with the paint, but going to put a few hundred rounds through it, hopefully add a flip up magnifier this fall.

My rifle camo, years of use.

Name:  F0487E7F-16E9-491D-A6E0-D427570D05A9.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  66.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    My rifle camo, years of use.

Name:  F0487E7F-16E9-491D-A6E0-D427570D05A9.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  66.8 KB
    What mount is that for your ACOG? It looks like the height is higher and it brings the optic further back towards your eye.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List