Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Safety Manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Are you guys applying the same methodology to your long gun (specifically AR/M4)?
    Yes, and also with my SOCOM and Garand, but not with frinstance my K31s.

Are you guys applying the same methodology to your long gun (specifically AR/M4)?
    I do.

Okie John

I find that the safeties on the 1911 and the AR are so easy to deactivate (and similar in operation), that I don't click them off until I'm ready to pull the trigger. Is this "wrong"? I feel that I'm fractionally slower to get a shot off, but less likely to f*ck up with the safety on. I have been spending more time focusing on when to activate the safeties (reloading, moving, etc.).

I'm about as tactical as my mop bucket, so I don't know what I don't know.

I find that the safeties on the 1911 and the AR are so easy to deactivate (and similar in operation), that I don't click them off until I'm ready to pull the trigger. Is this "wrong"? .
    My finger goes to the trigger when my gun is leveled and my sights are on the target. My gun is not leveled when I'm not ready to shoot. So, I do the same as you. We can be wrong together, or at least at the same time.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I flick the safety off as the gun is clearing the holster in the 2nd stage of my draw stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I flick the safety off as the gun is clearing the holster in the 2nd stage of my draw stroke.
    Does that seem a lot faster than disengaging it in count 3?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Whether AR, 1911, or M&P the safety stays off until the sights are aligned on the target and a decision is made to shoot. After firing and there are no further threats, the safety is engaged as the sights come off target. The safety also goes on when moving or when reloading if appropriate.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc, so you don't deactivate the safety when the gun "clears leather"? I don't. In the process of the drawing the pistol and indexing it to a target, the gun gets pointed at alot of things I might not really want to point it at. Doing it with the safety disengaged makes me FEEL worse about that.

The safety comes off as the gun's clearing the holster. Finger doesn't go on the trigger until I'm aiming at the target regardless of the gun.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Whether AR, 1911, or M&P the safety stays off until the sights are aligned on the target and a decision is made to shoot. After firing and there are no further threats, the safety is engaged as the sights come off target. The safety also goes on when moving or when reloading if appropriate.
    This.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List