Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 Safety Manipulation

1911 Safety Manipulation

All -

I've really been working on my drawstroke from a Wilder Tactical OWB holster lately, and could use some advice as to when it is appropriate to disengage the safety on my 9mm commander? I realize that this is the most basic of questions, but I am coming from a Glock world, and never had to "worry" about it before.

For the past few months, I've been working exclusively on marksmanship fundamentals, proper grip, sight picture, follow through, and general basics of pistol shooting. I have not, however, been working on anything related to drawstroke, safety disengagement, etc. I do have some private training with Aaron Roberts in the very near future.

I have around 3500 rounds on the gun, with nary a malfunction outside of the first 100 or so of break-in. The gun was very, very tight when I received it from my gunsmith. I shot the pistol at the Bushnell Brawl down at Rifles Only, and the gun functioned perfectly well in some very sandy and windy conditions. Plenty of movement, climbing, positional shooting, and helicopter rotors spraying sand into everything had me concerned with reliability of a 9mm 1911, but it didn't miss a beat on the stages that required a pistol. I attribute that to the gunsmithing, the magazines (Tripp 10 rounders), and the fact that I was shooting full powered 115gr ball ammo. I cleaned and lubed the pistol before the match, and left it alone from there. Throughout the match, however, whenever a pistol was required, we generally had plenty of advance notice to plan, and we never carried hot pistols. It was always "load and make read", starting from the low ready position, followed by 5-10 rounds and show clear, holster, and move to the rifle.

Best,
    JP

It kind of depends on the presentation technique you use, and it might be good to let that develop in training. I was taught a five-count and then a four-count draw, and in both circumstances I take the safety off as the muzzle is rotated to the target. This presumes I'm drawing to the shot; if I'm drawing to guard, the safety stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It kind of depends on the presentation technique you use, and it might be good to let that develop in training. I was taught a five-count and then a four-count draw, and in both circumstances I take the safety off as the muzzle is rotated to the target. This presumes I'm drawing to the shot; if I'm drawing to guard, the safety stays on.
    Yep; Grip - Clear - Click - Smack - Look ...... that is what the old cave dweller in Paulden used to espouse as a proper method.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Yep; Grip - Clear - Click - Smack - Look ...... that is what the old cave dweller in Paulden used to espouse as a proper method.
    Yep. But also make it a reflex to put the safety back on again as soon as you lower the pistol off of your eye line. It's a very easy habit to develop.

Okie John

I had a local instructor tell me I was taking the safety off my 1911 early. I have my safety off by the time the gun is level, switching it off during the rotation after I've cleared leather. I showed Louis Awerbuck and he said it was about 10 to 15 degrees earlier than what he does, but didn't see a problem with it. I also showed Mike Pannone, who said he carried a 1911 during his entire in Marine Recon, Army SF and SFOD-D. He didn't see anything wrong with it.

1911 Safety Manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yep. But also make it a reflex to put the safety back on again as soon as you lower the pistol off of your eye line. It's a very easy habit to develop.

Okie John
    Ding. I imagine having a spirit level attached to the slide of my pistol. If the pistol's level, the safety is off. If the pistol dips below level, the safety is on. At 'click,' the pistol is level.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Are you guys applying the same methodology to your long gun (specifically AR/M4)?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    I was taught "Sights on = Finger ON" and "Sights off = Finger OFF".

I don't carry a 1911 much anymore but when I did, I manipulated the safety pretty early after CLEAR. I found that if I wasn't careful, I developed the habit of manipulating the safety a little late as most of my work was a 2-hands presentation. That tended to make my safety manipulation a little late when shooting from retention.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

My M&P safety comes off as the holster is cleared. Finger stays on a hard register until the sights are on the target.

Based on some discussions here lately I'm trying to incorporate safety activation during movement.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Are you guys applying the same methodology to your long gun (specifically AR/M4)?
    As I rotate my AR into firing position, safety is switched off.

User Tag List