Page 97 of 221 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Interesting concept....can't quite tell how it works from the vid

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs6 View Post
    I've had JM Custom, Shaggy, Cane & Derby, Phlster, etc. JM Custom was the best for me of all of those. However, I decided to stick w/ Glocks and I just have trouble hiding that darn G19 for some reason. Other guns aren't quite as difficult. The grip just juts out for some reason on it. M&P hid pretty darn well. So, before going all in on a JM again, which are great, I thought I might give the non bulk world of the vanguard 2 a try. I can always buy a $35 holster from bladetech for training.

Do you find it holds close to the body rather well? I'm concerned that although there is no bulk, the grip won't tuck against the body very much.
    I carried a G19 in one for about a year. It was the first holster I bought -- I went straight into AIWB, which probably runs against common sense for a guy who was new to CCW and handguns in general.

The VG2 was a great learning experience WRT what I needed out of an AIWB holster. The strut thingy kept the grip from flopping outward in my experience, but it's no comparison to, say, JMCK's grip tuck feature. Having said that, I had few issues concealing it under a fairly tight-fitting t-shirt. For best results, however, a lower ride is better given the lack of a true grip tuck feature.

I have tried a couple of AIWB holsters with my G19 and I always seem to get several hot spots that cause pain in my abdomen. I am 6'0", 180lb and athletic. It seems that if the side of the holster facing my body is highly molded to the gun then I can feel every high spot on the holster and it makes it uncomfortable for me. I also find that the holster prints more than the gun does. By the end of the day I am almost sick and can't wait to get my gun off. I have tried to use a foam wedge to pad the muzzle as I get the most discomfort from the muzzle digging into my guts but even the pad becomes uncomfortable after a while. Maybe I am using the wrong kind of foam. I have toyed with the idea of designing a foam wedge with a kydex layer to keep it rigid to spread the pressure of the muzzle over a larger area to lessen the hot spot. I really want to like AIWB as I find 4:00 carry to be less than optimal in an NPE mostly because of bending over and other movements that tend to maximize printing with that mode of carry. I'd like to try an SME since so many people have experienced a high level of comfort but from the pictures it looks like a lot there is a lot of bulk between the gun and belt that would cause me issues with the holster printing more than the gun as noted above. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a Walther PPS and have a DSG minimalist AIWB holster on order. I am hoping that a thinner gun will help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have tried a couple of AIWB holsters with my G19 and I always seem to get several hot spots that cause pain in my abdomen. I am 6'0", 180lb and athletic. It seems that if the side of the holster facing my body is highly molded to the gun then I can feel every high spot on the holster and it makes it uncomfortable for me. I also find that the holster prints more than the gun does. By the end of the day I am almost sick and can't wait to get my gun off. I have tried to use a foam wedge to pad the muzzle as I get the most discomfort from the muzzle digging into my guts but even the pad becomes uncomfortable after a while. Maybe I am using the wrong kind of foam. I have toyed with the idea of designing a foam wedge with a kydex layer to keep it rigid to spread the pressure of the muzzle over a larger area to lessen the hot spot. I really want to like AIWB as I find 4:00 carry to be less than optimal in an NPE mostly because of bending over and other movements that tend to maximize printing with that mode of carry. I'd like to try an SME since so many people have experienced a high level of comfort but from the pictures it looks like a lot there is a lot of bulk between the gun and belt that would cause me issues with the holster printing more than the gun as noted above. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a Walther PPS and have a DSG minimalist AIWB holster on order. I am hoping that a thinner gun will help me out.
    I had similar problems. I finally have settled on a Glock 34 length George holster for carrying a 19. The extra length made all the difference for me. I was hesitant but Tony at JM told me to give it a shot. I'm glad he did.

I tried shorter and thinner pistols but had the same discomfort issues. The muzzle end of the holster would always find a way to dig in and be uncomfortable after just a few hours.

Tony is also offering a thin foam comfort layer on the back of his holsters. That might be worth trying too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I made a cloth pillow that solves this problem for me. It also keeps the muzzle pointed away from vital components.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That is some serious stuffing

After playing with AIWB since last October, I like the greater range of motion I can get and not have to worry about printing, but I keep running into two issues. The top corner of the slide on my G19 makes a very obvious point on anything less than a heavy coat. The other issues I have is getting a strong initial grip, I keep getting the "H grip" from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I made a cloth pillow that solves this problem for me. It also keeps the muzzle pointed away from vital components.

Is that filled with just pillow stuffing?

Irelander if you need one I might have one Justintime's gilfriend made, I don't use it so your welcome to it if you could use it.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Irelander if you need one I might have one Justintime's gilfriend made, I don't use it so your welcome to it if you could use it.
    PM inbound

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Is that filled with just pillow stuffing?
    Yup. It's stuffed with polyfill from a pillow the dogs destroyed. It is washable too.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List