Page 84 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

My personal build is 6'0" and about 185 to 190 lbs (no gut). So far I have tried the Dale Fricke Archangel and the G-Code INCOG (for a full size M&P and a Glock 23). Yesterday I took delivery of my JM Custom Kydex AIWB and feel like I have found my holy grail of AIWB holsters. Unlike the previous two holsters, I can get a full grip on the gun prior to the draw without dragging or banging my knuckles on the top of my Atlas belt. The wedge feature does an outstanding job of tucking the but of the grip up against my body and in a fairly slim fitting shit I have no printing at all. The holster is stable on the belt (I went with the cloth pull the dot loops) and is hands down more comfortable than my previous two holsters. Fit and finish of the holster are very good and I wore this holster all day with no discomfort, especially while driving. I highly recommend the JM Custom AIWB.

This might be a little too goofy to get a response, but has anyone run a high power extensively in aiwb? I am worried about getting poked to death with the hammer, but would otherwise like a chance to try it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This might be a little too goofy to get a response, but has anyone run a high power extensively in aiwb? I am worried about getting poked to death with the hammer, but would otherwise like a chance to try it.
    I would think the cocked hammer would be murder on your torso when bending and sitting.

JAD,
    I haven't gotten any feedback at all but I have sold more than a few(but not quite a lot) Shaggys for the High Power. Evidently there are at at least a few people carrying them AIWB.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Rich,

That's pretty solid, thanks for the feedback.

Jon
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Capt. Ahab had an easier time finding his whale than you'll have finding the perfect AIWB holster.
    Just buy the one that looks best to you... but know that you'll be buying another two or three before your search is (temporarily) over.
    Also know that the search for the great white whale of AIWB carry will never be over.
    Aint that the truth!

I'm on my 3rd and still haven't shot my pistol yet.

When my JM IWB-L gets here and if my hand heals I hope to be shooting soon

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I predict the CrossBreed aiwb will be popular and, like other CrossBreed holsters, not something I'd use if I could make a string holster from my own entrails instead.

I'm not at all a fan of these so-called hybrid holsters. The big shirt guard tends to flop over and close at what should be the holster mouth, forcing many people to use two hands to reholster their gun (which, with aiwb, means you're very likely not able to hold your concealment garment out of the way, eliminating your ability to see what you're doing) and also leading to a dangerous tendency of pointing the gun inward toward the body during the holstering process.

I've actually seen more students struggle and become dangerous with CrossBreed and similar hybrid holsters than SERPAs, and that's saying something.

It's also telling that the new CrossBreed aiwb is only designed for small pistols. They don't even offer it for something as easily concealed as a Glock 19. From the photos it appears there is nothing to keep the butt pressed into the body or to control yaw. It also looks like there is a one-size-fits-all back, so if you get one for a tiny gun you're stuck with a giant shirt guard and footprint.

When I first saw the crossbreed I thought it was a joke.

A few points of background and a question about comfort:

I've been working with AIWB with a M&P 9C in a variety of full size M&P holsters for about 19 months or so. What I've found is that given my build the holster will end up resting on my pelvic area between the pelvic crease and my bits (so to speak). the issue is I will get a hot spot there. Given my build I carry around 12-1 oclock and cant move any closer to my hip because then the holster will actually sit in my pelvic crease.

I have tried pulling my pants up higher to increase the pant rise. (a bit uncomfortable). I've tried different belt tensions very tight, to very loose.
    So far I've sued the JMC with extra tuck (both with snap loops and kydex loop), CCC Shaggy with loops and kydex loop, SME and a ArchAngel.

Sometimes it seems to work, but if I sit at the desk for a while the pistol will rest on that spot in my pelvis. I have a fairly athletic build, 32" waist at 5'8" and 168. It may be that I'm a bit short waisted not sure.

Do you all keep your belts super tight or loose to allow the holster to move with you or sit still?

I was able to wear a JM custom with no tuck with a M9 for hours on end, but that was in ACUs and your typical pants just don't fit quit that same?

Any ideas on pants that have a higher rise than others? I've seem to have the most success with Kuhl brand jeans, but even then sometimes there are issues.

thanks ahead of time for any help provided.

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    A few points of background and a question about comfort:

I've been working with AIWB with a M&P 9C in a variety of full size M&P holsters for about 19 months or so. What I've found is that given my build the holster will end up resting on my pelvic area between the pelvic crease and my bits (so to speak). the issue is I will get a hot spot there. Given my build I carry around 12-1 oclock and cant move any closer to my hip because then the holster will actually sit in my pelvic crease.

I have tried pulling my pants up higher to increase the pant rise. (a bit uncomfortable). I've tried different belt tensions very tight, to very loose.
    So far I've sued the JMC with extra tuck (both with snap loops and kydex loop), CCC Shaggy with loops and kydex loop, SME and a ArchAngel.

Sometimes it seems to work, but if I sit at the desk for a while the pistol will rest on that spot in my pelvis. I have a fairly athletic build, 32" waist at 5'8" and 168. It may be that I'm a bit short waisted not sure.

Do you all keep your belts super tight or loose to allow the holster to move with you or sit still?

I was able to wear a JM custom with no tuck with a M9 for hours on end, but that was in ACUs and your typical pants just don't fit quit that same?

Any ideas on pants that have a higher rise than others? I've seem to have the most success with Kuhl brand jeans, but even then sometimes there are issues.

thanks ahead of time for any help provided.
    I find short guns to be less than ideal for AIWB...anything shorter than a G19 CAN cause an issue. Long slides slide past everything and sit out in space instead of having the muzzle sitting on flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    What I've found is that given my build the holster will end up resting on my pelvic area between the pelvic crease and my bits (so to speak). the issue is I will get a hot spot there. Given my build I carry around 12-1 oclock and cant move any closer to my hip because then the holster will actually sit in my pelvic crease.
    We have about the same build and I carry hours on end in the same place with the holsters for similar firearms and they all sit in my pelvic crease. The wider the holster, the more I noticed for the most part. I fixed the hot spot by adding loop-side Velcro to the rear side of the holster/location of the hot spot (such as the extra tuck bulge on the JMCK). Wearing underwear that doesn't have thick seams around the pelvic crease made a big difference too.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List