Page 79 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    For me, if the holster is too short the gun wants to roll outward, over the top of the belt, when bending over.

I find that if I use a longer holster, like a Glock 26 in a 19 holster, it works a lot better.
    Yes, that is what I was getting at... not so much a smaller gun, as holster length.

In addition to the tendency to roll out, I found that shorter holsters would jab my pelvis uncomfortably to the point of being totally unwearable, whereas a longer holster did not.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    That has not been my experience with my PPS in a Keepers. It has been a perfect mix of concealability, comfort, and access. My guess is that, besides how it pulls the gun in, the solidness of the belt loop plays a part in keeping the smaller gun in place while still allowing great access.
    I was thinking mainly of the PM9 when I said that... I should have been more specific. "Smaller" was a bit too vague :-)

Just curious... is your Keepers made substantially longer than the PPS to help stabilize it? A pic would be cool if it's not too much trouble.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Been running a VG2 and it's really easy on quick sprints to the local shopping center or other EDC duties. Glad I picked up AIWB from TLG. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376269295.475405.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  19.9 KB

It's the Indian, not the Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Okay. I need to see photos of that. I am 5'10 and ~165 and I can barely get a Glock 26 to hide under a medium t-shirt AIWB.
    To re-iterate what was said in the other thread, I run a P30LS with an X400 with a DG-11 while AIWB using a RCS Phantom with no noticeable concealment issues thus far. I am 5'8", ~135 lbs, 30" waist, and typically wear this get-up with jeans and untucked t-shirts, sized small, which is my default outfit whenever I'm not at work.

In the third picture, I'm illustrating with my hand where the holster ends. The most uncomfortable aspect of this setup is actually the mag carrier; I love the positioning for reloading and concealment, but it rides right on top of my hip bone, and can get painful sometimes. I will probably look into replacing it one of these days with something more minimalistic, but it suffices for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slopes-2-Shores View Post
    I just ordered a Shaggy sized for the G19 to carry the G26 mostly.

I ordered it with the standard clip and added the leather loops and hardware to try. I decided to not get it with the leather backing.

I really had a hard time choosing between that one and JM Custom AIWB. I'm almost tempted to order both and just sell the one I like less, but must be more cash conservative than that for now.

I feel confident I'll like wearing it. I'm tempted to get a G26 blue gun now as well. I did also spring for some pre-ban G19 mags just in case I decide to bring the 19 east now that a rig that will fit it is on the way.

Thanks for the help and Q&A.

Cheers!

-JC
    OK. I've had the Shaggy about a week now and have been doing plenty of dry and blue gun carry and practice with it. I thought I'd come back here and quickly share my thoughts on it so far.

Well so far it's great ! I have carried it hot too, just not had live fire training with it yet. I had an opportunity to use it in a class but passed because I didn't think it was the right kind of setting for the first live fire course carrying AIWB. I have another opportunity coming up soon again and think it will be much better suited for trying it. The lights will be on!

Having a rig made specifically for AIWB makes all the difference.
    The way the wedge shape is built in definitely works well for it's intention. The G26 is entirely accessible using the flush grip and the 19 Blue gun hides and draws so well that carrying the G19 when I get back to it will be no problem at all.
    Having a full height sweat guard is key too.
    I really like using the snap straps. They aren't leather. I ordered it with the universal belt clip and that is NOT the way to go. It took < 12 practice draws to determine that. I suspect the full kydex loop works well, but it's not what I want to use. The snap loops work great for me.

So far, so good. It's changing the way I look at what's possible for me to carry discreetly and accessibly.

I haven't sold my 4:00 IWB rigs yet - but I'm tempted!

Cheers!

-JC

Greetings,

First time post, just registered. Couldn't sleep so figured I'd get up and read a book. Somehow I instead ended up on this thread, on a topic that I am thoroughly invested in. I've carried a Sig P239 in a High Noon Holster rig AIWB for over 2 years now, off and on, and settled for AIWB as I found it the best option for my body type and it concealed the best. For reason I won't get into I'm selling my Sig P239 and am going to be purchasing a full size 1911, though not entirely decided on which model - I have been leaning towards a Para Black Ops 14-45, which I would like to carry AIWB. Lately, I've been reading quite a bit on newer more designed specific AIWB holsters and this thread is one of the best I've found. So I got off the ipod and logged onto my computer and promptly registered.

Prior to this thread, here are the three holsters I had been considering for AIWB (listed in no specific order):

After reading this, it seems there are a number of others - listed below:

Ok, so now I'm really TORN! Seems there are so many options out there I'm not sure what to go with. I've read here that many consider the Dale Fricke as a holster not entirely designed for AIWB but rather one that was simply put into that role which leads to some issues with tucking the grip tight into the body. It seems the top two that keep being repeated here have been the CCC Shaggy as well as the JM Custom, however I'm curious to get some more feedback. I'm guessing it will come down to ordering 2 or 3 and see which works best, as I know everyone's body types and specific needs are different. Has anyone received the 5 Shot SME who preferred another holster on this list (or I suppose one not on this list?), or has everyone once they've received their SME shelved their others?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by jholen; 08-29-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Found one more. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by jholen View Post
    Has anyone received the 5 Shot SME who preferred another holster on this list (or I suppose one not on this list?), or has everyone once they've received their SME shelved their others?
    The Shaggy is a bargain; it's still fairly uncommon (if not exclusive), with a (subjectively) perfect ride height, excellent "tuck", (subjectively) perfect retention, and it is very comfortable. Aesthetically, it's a (very well-made) black Kydex holster.

The SME is more expensive, more exclusive, better-looking, with a lower ride, a more-consistent "tuck", a much-greater level of weapon-retention, a predictible durability, and it is very comfortable. Aesthetically, it's a $200. holster.

As you've no doubt read, some CQB subject matter experts have expressed concerns about the weapon-retention capability and durability of a Kydex holster in a violent fight.

I think I still prefer the Shaggy to the SME.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    As you've no doubt read, some CQB subject matter experts have expressed concerns about the weapon-retention capability and durability of a Kydex holster in a violent fight.
    Who? I'm seriously curious.
    #RESIST

User Tag List