Page 51 of 221 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB? I am carrying a p30 and a spare mag in a shaggy and BMC and it is not comfortable at all. I thought I would get used to it after a few weeks. Everytime I try and bend over I am being stabbed in my stomach. It also limits my range of motion. It is hard to put on shoes or take them off, also getting in the car is very uncomfortable. I am not a big dude too, I am 6,1 about 180.
    Sure, it's not going to be as natural. You have a gun in the way of your movement.....not much way around that part of physiology. Try kneeling instead of bending over....it's better for your back, anyway. As for taking shoes off......well, yeah, there's a big chunk of plastic and steel in the way of where your stomach needs to go....that's just the way it is. Even still, as long as I'm sitting, it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, especially since I don't find myself donning/doffing shoes often enough for it to be anything other than a 5 second nuisance.

Can't say that getting in and out of cars is difficult or uncomfortable, either.

To me, the minor inconveniences of AIWB carry when bending over is not as bad as the alternative....bending over, or leaning forward, and having my 3-4 O'Clock carried gun stick out the side of my back like I've been impaled by the Predator's lance. YMMV.

You could try getting a holster that rides lower or higher....a good option for that would be JRC's AIWB since you can adjust it all the way from low-ride to high-ride....if that doesn't work, I think you're SOL. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-27-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You could try getting a holster that rides lower or higher....a good option for that would be JRC's AIWB since you can adjust it all the way from low-ride to high-ride....if that doesn't work, I think you're SOL. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

AIWB is not for everyone, if it doesn't work for you don't fight it just change your mode of carry.

I have and at times run a Dale Fricke Joab and find it a uncomfortable higher ride with a FS m&p9, now a 9c is a different story.

The JRC AIWB-CDA is one heck of a holster and is in my top three:

In no order of preference, I consider them interchangeable for me

JRC AIWB-CDA (leather adjustable cant and ride hieght with multiple loop configurations / modular for M&P9fs/c)
    Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy (kydex interchangeable kydex loop and pull dots with solid wedge design for H&K P30LS)
    DarkStarGear (custom for me as a easy on/off going to store rig for HK P30)

A small hats off to DarkStarGear, good stuff a little over looked at times. Tom may not have a dedicated AIWB holster on the market but turned out a serviceable holster for me that met MY needs.

It has been said so many times in this thread....AIWB is DEPENDENT on the User, YOU must find what works for you not what worked for the guy in the last post. Unfortunately that means trial and error but resale is always high and very little loss at all.

My advice :

Order a few different holsters run them all and keep what works for YOU.
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 05-27-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: not a spelling bee champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB?
    One thing I've found is that moving the holster even a slight amount toward my hip makes a big difference when bending over... the muzzle for me needs to right close to the inside of my pelvic crease. You might try positioning the holster differently and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    With a G19 as your pistol, I'd recommend picking up an inexpensive Training Barrel from Blade Tech for the crawl stage. Much less expensive than the blue gun, provides the same sense of security plus a little added functionality that includes slide motion and trigger pull.

Saving on the blue gun lets you buy your own holster from the get go. You can resell it on the forums if it doesn't work out.

(By the way, I'm a huge fan of blue guns for a bunch of different things, including practice at handgun retention and close quarters work. I just think a training barrel works better for giving peace of mind when trying out holsters, since you can immediately see & hear any change in the trigger status.)

pax
    I just threw the blue gun out there as I already have a blue gun but you're correct in the seeing and hearing any change in the trigger status. Thanks for the advice. Now...I'm 5'8 with a bit of a food tumor and am one of those squat Asian's with huge tree trunk thighs. Besides losing weight, is there any particular holsters out there that people would recommend? Maybe others here that are similar in my body type?

Tried it today with nmy Shaggy with leather backing for my HK P2000. Couldn't stand it when seated so I think I'll just keep it at 3:00 on my right hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    I just threw the blue gun out there as I already have a blue gun but you're correct in the seeing and hearing any change in the trigger status. Thanks for the advice. Now...I'm 5'8 with a bit of a food tumor and am one of those squat Asian's with huge tree trunk thighs. Besides losing weight, is there any particular holsters out there that people would recommend? Maybe others here that are similar in my body type?
    Welcome to the forum, dude. Congrats on the family stuff.

Try to get a Shaggy if you can. May take secondary market, or wait and watch over CCC's website like a hawk. I don't have one for the 19, or any Glock; Seth wanted it so he has it now, I am that kind of guy...
    Shaggy will have a highest chance of working right off, has some room for an important adjustment, and will be very easy to move should it not work for you. I understand that Keeper works well too (no personal experience), has a number of features that other don't, and is more accessible now, but less economic.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Welcome to the forum, dude. Congrats on the family stuff.

Try to get a Shaggy if you can. May take secondary market, or wait and watch over CCC's website like a hawk. I don't have one for the 19, or any Glock; Seth wanted it so he has it now, I am that kind of guy...
    Shaggy will have a highest chance of working right off, has some room for an important adjustment, and will be very easy to move should it not work for you. I understand that Keeper works well too (no personal experience), has a number of features that other don't, and is more accessible now, but less economic.
    Thanks YK. Like I said, been a long time reader but only contribute when I'm in my lane or have questions. Been keeping up on your posts. I'll have to watch the secondary market and hopefully get a few things sold so I can snag one when the opportunity arises. Thanks for the advice.

Not sure if this was covered already, but does anybody appendix carry with a weapon mounted light, and if so what holster? I'm toying with the idea of adding a TLR-3 to my Walther PPS.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Not sure if this was covered already, but does anybody appendix carry with a weapon mounted light, and if so what holster? I'm toying with the idea of adding a TLR-3 to my Walther PPS.
    This post by Default.mp3 showed his P30LS with a WML in an AIWB.
    Sheep Have Wool

User Tag List