Page 50 of 221 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

There has been a lot of talk about holsters in this thread, and rightfully so, but what about pistols? I understand the security of riding a hammer home, but with so many striker fired pistols now are any of them inherently safer than any of the others? I have an M&P and a Glock, they sure look the same to me, but I am very green compared to most of the members on this forum.

1) HARD PUASE BEFORE REHOLSTERING: confirming no obstructions of pathway for firearm.

2) NO SPEED HOLSTERING: see #1

3) INDEX BOOGER HOOK (trigger finger) TO FRAME: prevent booger hook curl leading to missing junk or hole in leg.

4) REREAD #1-3

I was running HK P30's and now M&Ps and still carry AIWB. I am actually more conscious of what is going on while reholstering now with striker fired pistols.

Remember like Smokey says (modified to situation):

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT HOLES IN YOUR JUNK.

And this conclueds you public service announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    There has been a lot of talk about holsters in this thread, and rightfully so, but what about pistols? I understand the security of riding a hammer home, but with so many striker fired pistols now are any of them inherently safer than any of the others? I have an M&P and a Glock, they sure look the same to me, but I am very green compared to most of the members on this forum.
    I'd imagine it would be a function of trigger weight, trigger travel and presence of other features that can be used to exercise control over the gun. M&P could be had with a manual safety, which I keep actively engaged (thumb under) until the gun is seated. Glocks have a ton of options as far as trigger weight is concerned; you could set yours at 10 lbs and carry that way until you've ingrained correct handling habits. Some pistols have protruding strikers that can be controlled just like a hammer - Walther PPS is an example of one.
    No feature is a substitute for correct handling, but there is nothing wrong in looking for extra margin of safety; in that sense, I do exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    1) HARD PUASE BEFORE REHOLSTERING: confirming no obstructions of pathway for firearm.

2) NO SPEED HOLSTERING: see #1

3) INDEX BOOGER HOOK (trigger finger) TO FRAME: prevent booger hook curl leading to missing junk or hole in leg.

4) REREAD #1-3
    Plus, you can push your pelvis slightly forward to make it so that the muzzle is covering less of your junk. Once you have the muzzle of the gun in the holser, lever the butt of the gun toward your stomach as you slooooowwwly push the gun into the holster. This pries the muzzle outward so that, if you DO pop one off, you may reduce (NOT eliminate!) the possibility of putting a pill in your beanbag or something less embarrassing but more potentially fatal.

Todd briefed me to and demonstrated this, as I carry a fullsize M&P9 with no thumb-safety.

Long time reader, short time poster. Read the entire AIWB thread a few times and have discussed it with a few others and have been debating it for a long while. Currently carry a Glock 19 and although I don't get the warm and fuzzies, I don't have the means or funds available to go to a different pistol. With that being said, also being a lowly state employee, new baby and wife just quit to focus on going to school full time, I have a question.

I'm not sure if the idea of it has ever come up or I've just glossed over it but is there a "swap meet" type place in the For Sale area where those of us on the fence can "rent" someone's AIWB holster for a period of time to see if it really is for us? I was planning on doing the Crawl-Walk-Run phase by using a blue gun, then my unloaded G19 and then taking the plunge after the heebie jeebies have gone away and I felt sufficient time and practice in drawing from AIWB has gone by.

Again, if there is such a thing, could someone point me in the correct direction as I would certainly like to give this a try but don't have the current funds to begin the "box of holsters" route.

Thanks all and thumbs up on the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    Long time reader, short time poster. Read the entire AIWB thread a few times and have discussed it with a few others and have been debating it for a long while. Currently carry a Glock 19 and although I don't get the warm and fuzzies, I don't have the means or funds available to go to a different pistol. With that being said, also being a lowly state employee, new baby and wife just quit to focus on going to school full time, I have a question.

I'm not sure if the idea of it has ever come up or I've just glossed over it but is there a "swap meet" type place in the For Sale area where those of us on the fence can "rent" someone's AIWB holster for a period of time to see if it really is for us? I was planning on doing the Crawl-Walk-Run phase by using a blue gun, then my unloaded G19 and then taking the plunge after the heebie jeebies have gone away and I felt sufficient time and practice in drawing from AIWB has gone by.

Again, if there is such a thing, could someone point me in the correct direction as I would certainly like to give this a try but don't have the current funds to begin the "box of holsters" route.

Thanks all and thumbs up on the discussion.
    Sounds like a pretty good idea but here is my 2 cents (worth what you paid for it

1) If you jump in with both feet and order one of the main holsters listed in this thread, try it out and find out it is not for you, you will have no problem moving it on the secondary market. 95% of the holsters mentioned in this thread are good, quality AIWB offerings. This may take a little longer than what you are proposing and does require a small investment on the front end but you can just keep rolling the funds from holster to holster until you find one that works just right for your body type or until you decide this method is just not right for you.

2) I would forgo the blue gun and just stick with your unloaded carry gun in the beginning, but that is just me.

Cheers,
    Daryl

I was planning on doing the Crawl-Walk-Run phase by using a blue gun, then my unloaded G19 and then taking the plunge after the heebie jeebies have gone away and I felt sufficient time and practice in drawing from AIWB has gone by.
    With a G19 as your pistol, I'd recommend picking up an inexpensive Training Barrel from Blade Tech for the crawl stage. Much less expensive than the blue gun, provides the same sense of security plus a little added functionality that includes slide motion and trigger pull.

Saving on the blue gun lets you buy your own holster from the get go. You can resell it on the forums if it doesn't work out.

(By the way, I'm a huge fan of blue guns for a bunch of different things, including practice at handgun retention and close quarters work. I just think a training barrel works better for giving peace of mind when trying out holsters, since you can immediately see & hear any change in the trigger status.)

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Pound for pound, that training barrel might be the best $11 I've spent in the last 8 mos.

I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB? I am carrying a p30 and a spare mag in a shaggy and BMC and it is not comfortable at all. I thought I would get used to it after a few weeks. Everytime I try and bend over I am being stabbed in my stomach. It also limits my range of motion. It is hard to put on shoes or take them off, also getting in the car is very uncomfortable. I am not a big dude too, I am 6,1 about 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I have a quick question. How are y'all dealing with bending over while carrying AIWB? I am carrying a p30 and a spare mag in a shaggy and BMC and it is not comfortable at all. I thought I would get used to it after a few weeks. Everytime I try and bend over I am being stabbed in my stomach. It also limits my range of motion. It is hard to put on shoes or take them off, also getting in the car is very uncomfortable. I am not a big dude too, I am 6,1 about 180.
    I'm only a week in to AIWB carry and I'm having the same trouble (4" 1911 in an Archangel).

The only thing I've been able to do to reduce the discomfort is bending A LOT more in my knees first, and lastly with my back. Sometimes that's not doable though, like when your 4 year old jumps in to your arms, and you just have to roll with it....

Looking forward to seeing what advice others have because I was going to ask this same question tomorrow.

User Tag List