Page 5 of 221 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Dave,

On the one hand, it would be ideal to never have to carry your gun in a different position. On the other hand, when you're wearing a tactical holster, it is almost always a back up gun. If my M-4 goes down, several other teammates will more than likely be putting rounds on my threat before I can transition to the pistol. Though I got away from "drop" holsters a long time ago, I used to carry concealed in a similar location to minimize issues. I now conceal AIWB whenever I'm in soft clothes, and wear a tac rig when kitted up. I haven't found the different location to be an issue, but if I screw up my tac rig, I am unlikely to shoot myself. Most of my practice involves the AIWB, so I feel that the reholstering threat is minimized there. Of course, I also use the "hard break", and my pistol has a wonderful thumb safety on it, in addition to being hammer fired:-)

Is that clear? Too much typing for me...:-)

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How much of this have you already tested?
    I've tested none of it, which is why I said "my thoughts" rather than "my experience". AIWB fails the cost-benefit analysis for me, so it's academic. That's why I was curious what those of you who do it think about what I brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That's absolutely false. When combined with the improved speed of an AIWB draw, the ability to have your hands practically on top of the gun in a normal relaxed position (as opposed to reaching/sweeping behind your hip) makes for a very stealthy draw... and one that doesn't rely on the BG demanding your wallet before you can begin.
    Todd, just to be clear, I was referring to a situation in which you're face-to-face with someone, and AIWB would (unless I'm missing something) require you to reveal the gun in order to access it. I understand there are cases where it can be stealthy, I just don't see how that's one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    The issues of where a gun is carried is not really pertinent in an entangled affair. Watch these evolutions and tell me if you think that ANY particular place on the body holds a distinct advantage over any other.
    Thanks, SouthNarc, those were great videos. In those situations, I'd assume the most important gun in the equation isn't the one in your holster, it's controlling the other guy's.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Malchira View Post
    Todd, just to be clear, I was referring to a situation in which you're face-to-face with someone, and AIWB would (unless I'm missing something) require you to reveal the gun in order to access it. I understand there are cases where it can be stealthy, I just don't see how that's one of them.
    From where I normally put my hands when I'm just standing around, or where I put them when someone is closer to me than I'd like, there is less movement to my AIWB than a gun that is on the rear half of my belt. Furthermore, moving my hands to my front pocket or belly is much less of a tell-tale move than reaching behind to what we think of as the typical holster position.

If I hook my thumbs in my front pockets, I've got a very fast and natural drawstroke to the AIWB. My hand is on the gun immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

If I hook my thumbs in my front pockets, I've got a very fast and natural drawstroke to the AIWB. My hand is on the gun immediately.
    This.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

You're very welcome Malchira and to answer your question, mmmm......that's kinda' the way to look at it. The main thing to control in that kind of fight is the position.

I think we need to get Todd a pair of yellow aviator shooting glasses and start sporting a Jew-fro so he can reenact this famous A-IWB scene.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...d=36&Itemid=53

Hi y'all, I'm a newcomer here, but I've been following p-t.com for quite a while. Love the new forum!

Anyway, back to the topic:
    When carrying AIWB while in a car, the lap seat belt is situated directly over the pistol. This would be unpleasant, to say the least, in the event of a wreck. What do y'all do to fix this,if anything?

I think we need to get Todd a pair of yellow aviator shooting glasses and start sporting a Jew-fro so he can reenact this famous A-IWB scene.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...d=36&Itemid=53
    I'm in.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    This would be unpleasant, to say the least, in the event of a wreck. What do y'all do to fix this,if anything?
    Don't wreck.

Seriously, I think it's an interesting question. I don't know enough about anatomy to say whether it's really a medical/health concern. The one guy whose opinions on GSW I consider unparalleled, who also happens to be an MD, carries AIWB though...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm in.
    You both just get turned on by guys wearing rubber gloves.

Slip the seatbelt behind the pistol when you don't have to conceal it from your passenger and drop your cover garment back over the pistols butt. This also makes it way easier to draw while seated but you do have to remember to untuck the seatbelt before exiting the car.

Something wrong with that?

User Tag List