Page 46 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcauz3y View Post
    I'm running a C&D, (thanks TCinVA) and it took me about two weeks to get it where I wanted it, and it was comfortable.

Yes, you read that right, TWO WEEKS of carrying, adjusting, moving a holster, all the while it was uncomfortable as heck.

Now that I have it where I want it, how I want it, it is actually the most comfortable carry method I've ever used, and conceals amazingly well. I can even tuck in my shirt around the single loop (I removed one) and it's gone.
    Toldja.

Yesterday I found a situation where AIWB was a bit of a drawback- paddle boats Definitely had to do some adjusting.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Toldja.

You sure did!

I was a skeptic, for sure, but I'm a faithful convert now.

To the rest of you out there: If you give AIWB a shot, make sure you give it time, at least a few weeks, before you give up on it.

**(sorry about the cursing in my previous post, won't happen again)
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    -General Mattis

Anyone tried the Desantis Sof Tuck as an AIWB holster? (A search here turned up nothing.) I don't expect it to stand up to the same level of abuse as other holsters discussed here, but the price is right ($25) and it's available. My carry gun is a DA/SA and I keep my thumb on the hammer when I reholster, so I'm not overly concerned about the mouth not being as rigid as some would prefer. I do like that the cant is adjustable, since I'd be new to AIWB and not sure what I will prefer.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leozinho; 04-04-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
    I haven't used them, but from looking at the picture it seems like the gun will ride a little too low for most people's tastes.

I actually tried one recently with a new gun I was testing, and it was (to put it mildly) a piece of s*** for appendix. The mouth of the holster won't stay open which means you have to either do a muzzle wiggle to reholster or use your weak hand to "pop" the holster open to reholster. Both of those are a no-go for me for regular IWB carry, and with added danger-zone of carrying appendix, after about ten minutes of dicking around with it and a blue gun, I actually decided I'd be better off with a Fobus. That's how bad it was.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a miss.

Holster for AIWB carry

I know this is a double-post, but I was told to use this thread for my needs instead because of all the AIWB gurus. So I apologize in advance.

I'm stuck deciding between 2 holsters right now for my P2000SK. The Garrett Industries Thunder Slimline II. The Cane and Derby PIC (Pardus replacement). I know that I want one of these, but undecided on which.

I care about concealability on a small frame (35" waist, 38" chest, 6'0, 160 lb). My Crossbreed supertuck IWB does not pull the grip fully against my body in ANY position, so I expect this to be an issue iwth AIWB also. Not sure how much wedge/yaw the others have. Both the PIC and Thunder claim to pull it in.

I care about how secure it is, for safety, this includes the holster being pretty well secured to the belt (I have a 1.5" crossbreed belt that is pretty darn sturdy). My supertuck is secure but a pain to move around when I want to though. This also includes a holster that secures the gun. Both should be equally secure, but not sure.

I want a minimal profile on the holster, which will help with concealability and comfort on my smaller frame. I would think the Thunder would be a little thicker than the PIC because of the extra layer (of leather).. but I could be wrong.

I want it to be adjustable for ride height, both of these are supposable. Adjustable Cant may be nice, but probably not necessary.

I want to make sure the subcompact, heavy weight, 3.25" barrel of the P2000SK does not cause the grip to roll.

I also want it to be as comfortable as possible for everyday activities (sitting, driving, walking, jogging if necessary)

Not sure if the rubber PIC loops or the Thunder clips will hold better. The loops seem fast enough to attach & adjust, but I could be wrong. The clip is definitely faster, but possibly less secure?

Does anyone have experience with all 3 of these, or enough experience to tell me that one of these WILL or WILL NOT work for me? Please include reasons & details. Thank you guys!!
    Last edited by Kilryth; 04-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilryth View Post
    Thank you guys!!
    The unfortunate answer is "it depends". I love the C&D PIC, others hate it. Others love the Dale Fricke Archangle; it's not the best option for me. While internet forum opinions can be useful for determining things like customer service, quality of construction, etc., they lose value once subjective questions like "how well does it conceal" come into play.

Of the three you mentioned, I own the PIC and have the JRC on order. The PIC is very well constructed and I've been extremely happy with it. The ride height on my M&P9c is a little bit low, but I can extend the existing mounting holes or drill new ones if I want to adjust the ride height. I've gone through a lot of money finding holsters that work well for me, and I think others are in the same boat. Fortunately, the resale value of most quality holsters is pretty high so there's a good chance at recouping any funds spent on a holster that doesn't work.

Good luck.

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim II AIWB holster (customer review)

I received my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim II AIWB holster this weekend. It took about 5-6 days after ordering for the holster to ship, and it was shipped out USPS Priority - so it arrived within a few days. It's for the P2000SK, and fits perfectly!! Very very snug/secure at the default retention setting.

The holster is beautifully made (never thought I'd say that about Kydex). It's very firm, durable feeling, but still very thin. I wanted a MINIMAL profile holster that I could order (couldn't order a Shaggy), and this makes a great option for that. It does what it's supposed to do, but without extra bulk.

I didn't think I'd like the leather + kydex combination, but I really do like it. It has the durability of Kydex, with the form fitting security of the Leather. It has a little bit of that "locking" feel to it when Kydex clips in there.. but there is no noise. I can't explain it - it just feels smooth to draw & reholster! I like this holster's materials & workmanship better than the Crossbreed Supertuck I previously had (my only other holster). I did like the Supertuck's steel clips a lot though.

I ordered the Standard and HD belt clips for it. The HD clip was wider than the standard, providing a little more stability. However, the standard clip is stable enough and has a much firmer grip on the belt, which is very important when drawing. The standard clip works great with a thinner belt like the Wilderness and the thicker double-layer bullhide belt.

The cant adjustability was very good - providing a full range in both directions (although Garrett recommends against using this for IWB with reverse cant, due to gun balance).

The ride height is not adjustable, BUT the company is VERY willing to provide Longer clips. I didn't care for the HD clip because it didn't grip my belt as firmly, so I returned it in exchange for a Longer Standard clip. They offered to provide me with two clips in exchange for the one - that's good service! I requested one 1/2" longer and another 1" longer. Waiting on those to arrive.

The standard clip length causes the gun grip to ride a little less than an inch above the belt line. It rides a little higher than I wanted, but it would work well for longer barreled guns. The shorter clip does keep the barrel out of your thigh though, even with the pants on your hips. The longer clips will probably make the holster a little less comfortable in the thigh area when sitting, but I am ok with adjusting the position & cant. From what I can tell of the reviews on AIWB holsters - the best reviewed ones seem to have about a finger's width distance between the gun grip & the belt.

The longer clips will give that finger-width distance on this holster, and should tuck the butt of the grip in better. The grip's butt is tucked in OK, but it tends to move a little because of the higher ride height on a short-barreled gun. The lower ride height should keep the grip more secure behind the belt & into the body.

If you are considering this holster & willing to exchange clips to find the right ride-height for you, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a very well made holster that seems to bring the gun grip in well. I am extremely satisfied with mine, since I did not want a bulky holster for a small gun (the P2000SK is wide enough for me) & I have a small frame.

User Tag List