Page 3 of 221 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

We are diminished
    Your spine is near your appendix?

I was very skeptical of AIWB, and I remain to be fairly critical of this mode. My biggest issue is "pant-compatibility". Since small position change may mean a difference between pain and comfort, it is easy to understand how difference in placement of belt loops, waist height ride and even type of fabric plays a role here. FWIW, I find my Vertx pants to work best with AIWB, but my jeans and slacks - not as well.
    I found that wearing body armor and carrying AIWB doesn't jive well together - not that it is relevant to me, but it may be important to somebody.
    So I was pretty much set on giving it a fair try and going back to iwb. I guess I did give it a fair chance since now, except for my G19, I carry everything AIWB.

Todd, it would be interesting to compare notes on C&D holster. Since Rich is closed to new orders, I've ordered their AIWB offering. Some of design features raise question, but one can't say anything without trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Your spine is near your appendix?
    If I were carrying near my appendix my gun would be in Reston, VA or some medical landfill near there.

I think I may have to take some pics, and I have.

Not very flattering belly coming up:

Here is how I think you have to wear it, from what I've read, with your belt-line higher:

So that when you bend, the gun is above your bend line:

But because I can't take that pressure across the belly (yes, I've been the hospital 3 times in 2 years because of intestinal obstructions as an example of some of my issues) I wear my pants lower like this:

Which means that when I bend, the the of the gun is pressing back in to me as such:

Meaning it is a no-go for me, sadly.

Now, this is a PPS (which is short and small) and a MTAC holster (which isn't a recommended one for AIWB) but I'm reluctant to find someone that makes an AIWB holster for my FNP (the hammer fired gun I would most likely carry that way) only to find I can't carry it the right way.

I have that same belly problem LOL. The only gun i had any real success with at 1:00 was a j frame.

Sent from my Evo
    Chemist.

My biggest issue is "pant-compatibility". Since small position change may mean a difference between pain and comfort it is easy to understand how difference in placement of belt loops, waist height ride and even type of fabric plays a role here.

In my short AIWB experience, this is a huge point. After choosing a solid holster and belt it quickly becomes obvious that some pants just don't work because of the factors mentioned above. I had several pairs of jeans that were relegated to yard work status because of this. I'm also going to bring a pair of jeans to my tailor this week and have him sew belt loops on either side of the spot the loop on my shaggy rides, I'll report back on whether it's worth the effort.
    I've also found that a buckle less (velcro) belt is a a great help. I started out with a pleather Safariland under belt and eventually bought a leather buckless gun belt. I put the tail of the belt at about 10 o'clock, very comfortable.
    Last edited by Rverdi; 02-27-2011 at 08:53 AM.

I'll be the first to admit that it would behoove the aspiring AIWB user to not have a big gut.

No argument here.

I'll get my biases out of the way first: AIWB skeeves me out, I can't help but see it as a massive violation of "rule #2" and an excellent way to increase one's likelihood of a tragic accident, which is arguably the exact opposite reason most of us carry guns.

That said (), I had the following thoughts on the subject recently and figured I'd share.

- If one had to draw from AIWB in close proximity to a threat, it seems like the position would make it easier for the "opponent" to smother/stall the draw, because it's happening right in front of them. With a more traditional belt carry, your body is between the draw and the threat. Distance is obviously critical; if you're far enough away, it's irrelevant.

- If a close threat has already presented itself, an AIWB draw has effectively zero chance of being performed surreptitiously. There have been cases (one reported within the last few weeks on another forum) of successful use of the "reaching for one's wallet" ruse and coming up with a gun instead. While I personally probably wouldn't want to do that in the face of a drawn gun, I might against a knife. Attempting a straight draw from AIWB in the same situation would seem statistically more likely to result in getting cut, because it would be more obvious more quickly, with the draw effectively taking longer to accomplish.

- In a ground-fighting situation, the argument has been made that AIWB prevents the gun from being trapped between your body and the ground. While true, it creates the new problem of trapping it between your body and your opponent's. I haven't tested it, but it seems it would be easier to raise/rock yourself far enough to clear a belt holster than to get your hand between two bodies. Once you had a grip, I think it would be easier to draw from a non-AIWB, and the resulting "start position" of the gun would be more advantageous.

Just my thoughts. Happy to hear opinions on where I'm off-base.

Your concerns about drawing and retention in CQB are unfounded.
    Take a good close range fighting class like Southnarc's and you'll see that AIWB is actually an advantage the majority of the time at "bad breath" distances.

To say I work in a non permissive environment (healthcare) is an understatement.
    In fact I believe the entire healthcare industry frowns on self defense, which is another thread entirely.

Previous to my enlightenment about AIWB, I was stuck with a 442 on my ankle and a speedloader, as it was my ass if I got made. Printing, even a little, was simply NOT an option.

After getting adjusted (I don't believe I'll ever be comfortable with this aspect) to having a Glock pointed at the FA, and doing mounds of dry practice, I tried AIWB out of work a few times. I found my range of movement, and how I could bend and reach and twist was expanded greatly. This is a godsend for people that must be descrete.

It's even more comfortable, and hides even better in scrubs.

And the mental comfort of a G19 and a reload compared to a J-frame is something we can all appreciate.

Better press outs too.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

How much of this have you already tested? Your worries about drawing from AWIB in close proximity to a thread seem like WHAT IFFING in the extreme to me. Do you really think that moving the pistol to 3-5 o'clock-ish is going to give you a measurable advantage with an attacker in close proximity?

To me, the comfort and concealability win every time. Not to mention, it's faster for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchira View Post
    I'll get my biases out of the way first: AIWB skeeves me out, I can't help but see it as a massive violation of "rule #2" and an excellent way to increase one's likelihood of a tragic accident, which is arguably the exact opposite reason most of us carry guns.

That said (), I had the following thoughts on the subject recently and figured I'd share.

- If one had to draw from AIWB in close proximity to a threat, it seems like the position would make it easier for the "opponent" to smother/stall the draw, because it's happening right in front of them. With a more traditional belt carry, your body is between the draw and the threat. Distance is obviously critical; if you're far enough away, it's irrelevant.

- If a close threat has already presented itself, an AIWB draw has effectively zero chance of being performed surreptitiously. There have been cases (one reported within the last few weeks on another forum) of successful use of the "reaching for one's wallet" ruse and coming up with a gun instead. While I personally probably wouldn't want to do that in the face of a drawn gun, I might against a knife. Attempting a straight draw from AIWB in the same situation would seem statistically more likely to result in getting cut, because it would be more obvious more quickly, with the draw effectively taking longer to accomplish.

- In a ground-fighting situation, the argument has been made that AIWB prevents the gun from being trapped between your body and the ground. While true, it creates the new problem of trapping it between your body and your opponent's. I haven't tested it, but it seems it would be easier to raise/rock yourself far enough to clear a belt holster than to get your hand between two bodies. Once you had a grip, I think it would be easier to draw from a non-AIWB, and the resulting "start position" of the gun would be more advantageous.

Just my thoughts. Happy to hear opinions on where I'm off-base.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 02-27-2011 at 11:35 AM.

User Tag List