Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2208

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Is that an mtg holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

How is it?

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    How is it?

Literally just got it. Posted a video of me messing with it on my IG page. Too early for me to say anything of worth.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

After a year or so carrying an HK VP9 + APL strong side 4:00, I decided to switch back to appendix carry. This change was brought on by my switch from the APL to a Surefire X300U - the need for a new holster opened up possibilities and I realized how much I missed AIWB. The first step was picking out a hammer-fired TDA gun to carry... that ended up being a Cajunized Urban Grey CZ P-07. For a holster, I initially picked up an RCS VG3 that I retrofitted with a claw from the VG2 kit. That got me carrying while I sorted out a more permanent solution.

I ended up giving the T. Rex Arms Raptor a try. So far, so good... I did add Melody Lauer's gel heel pad hack and that addressed an area of occasional discomfort brought on by the raised edge of the slide stop channel on the back side of the holster. I'm also running this holster as high as I can, partially because of the X300 and also because I really hate not getting enough clearance when I go to grip the gun. Overall the holster conceals well (better than the VG3 for sure) and I don't have any issues with the rear sight area printing under most of my shirts.

I would prefer to have a wider clip and/or a second clip but the holster does not move around on me so that might not be a big deal. You can also see from the pic that I run the holster with a slight reverse cant - I find this helps with both concealment and in providing a better draw, as it allows me to lock my wrist as I get a grip on the gun. Of course, the angle of the clip means that the claw only partially makes contact with my belt but so far I've not had any issues with that slipping under.

The holster can also be carried at 4:00 but I have not bothered with that yet. It might be nice option as a fallback but I honestly hope I never need to even try it

Fit and finish are not as polished as SOME holsters I've had (*cough* Tony) but nothing that screams toaster oven in the basement LOL. You probably can't tell from the pic but I chose MAS Gray kydex which is sort of a brownish gray.

I also ordered two mag carriers to try out. I've run the Kytex mag carriers as long as I've been carrying concealed and just wanted to see how these would compare. So far I like them - they are faster to draw and reholster from and they even have a little retention built in. If you insert the mag into the carrier and nudge it to the front the mag "sticks" in the carrier. When you go to draw, the pressure towards the rear of the carrier frees it from the retention and the mag comes out easy. Time will tell if this trips me up ;-)

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase.

"A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    After a year or so carrying an HK VP9 + APL strong side 4:00, I decided to switch back to appendix carry. This change was brought on by my switch from the APL to a Surefire X300U - the need for a new holster opened up possibilities and I realized how much I missed AIWB. The first step was picking out a hammer-fired TDA gun to carry... that ended up being a Cajunized Urban Grey CZ P-07. For a holster, I initially picked up an RCS VG3 that I retrofitted with a claw from the VG2 kit. That got me carrying while I sorted out a more permanent solution.

I ended up giving the T. Rex Arms Raptor a try. So far, so good... I did add Melody Lauer's gel heel pad hack and that addressed an area of occasional discomfort brought on by the raised edge of the slide stop channel on the back side of the holster. I'm also running this holster as high as I can, partially because of the X300 and also because I really hate not getting enough clearance when I go to grip the gun. Overall the holster conceals well (better than the VG3 for sure) and I don't have any issues with the rear sight area printing under most of my shirts.

I would prefer to have a wider clip and/or a second clip but the holster does not move around on me so that might not be a big deal. You can also see from the pic that I run the holster with a slight reverse cant - I find this helps with both concealment and in providing a better draw, as it allows me to lock my wrist as I get a grip on the gun. Of course, the angle of the clip means that the claw only partially makes contact with my belt but so far I've not had any issues with that slipping under.

The holster can also be carried at 4:00 but I have not bothered with that yet. It might be nice option as a fallback but I honestly hope I never need to even try it

Fit and finish are not as polished as SOME holsters I've had (*cough* Tony) but nothing that screams toaster oven in the basement LOL. You probably can't tell from the pic but I chose MAS Gray kydex which is sort of a brownish gray.

I also ordered two mag carriers to try out. I've run the Kytex mag carriers as long as I've been carrying concealed and just wanted to see how these would compare. So far I like them - they are faster to draw and reholster from and they even have a little retention built in. If you insert the mag into the carrier and nudge it to the front the mag "sticks" in the carrier. When you go to draw, the pressure towards the rear of the carrier frees it from the retention and the mag comes out easy. Time will tell if this trips me up ;-)

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase.

How did the vp9 with the vg3 work?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    How did the vp9 with the vg3 work?
    It worked well... the claw really helped a lot with that.

I started out with the soft loop and that proved to be a mistake. Ok, one of the mistakes - to begin with I forgot to set the loop to 1.5" and it just flopped all over my beltline. I spent a couple of days fidgeting with it before realizing my goof Sizing the loop properly still left it a bit too loose for my tastes so I switched to the overhook and that worked as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    OK, the little maneuver required to draw turned out to just be the carriers needing a little break in. (Getting a mag STUCK was the clue... LOL)

A few sufficiently motivated draws smoothed things out and, after adjusting retention accordingly, they require no special movement to draw from and hold the mags securely.

My bad.

Just came here to drool over the urban grey P07

Saw this on Soldier Systems

New holster from Gunfighters INC. Looks familiar.

Last edited by Irelander; 07-14-2016 at 11:41 AM.

I'd love to see how it holds up under long term use.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List