Page 11 of 221 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Has anyone tried a Milt Spark SS2 as a AIWB? I understand that is not a vertical cant and all but I would think double straps would be a plus in this type of holster versus a negative by providing a wider area across the belt. I would think this would apply as well to the Blade-Tech IWB holster. If this question has been asked earlier, I apologize and just give me the eye rolling icon.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    EMAIL Dale Fricke at his web site.
    I already did waiting on a reply.

S/F

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Has anyone tried a Milt Spark SS2 as a AIWB? I understand that is not a vertical cant and all but I would think double straps would be a plus in this type of holster versus a negative by providing a wider area across the belt. I would think this would apply as well to the Blade-Tech IWB holster. If this question has been asked earlier, I apologize and just give me the eye rolling icon.
    The forward cant will make the holster almost impossible to endure in terms of comfort.

As mentioned earlier, the original Summer Special was actually designed as a straight drop AIWB holster, and only later on did it migrate behind the hip and adopt the FBI cant.

Talking

I swapped out the factory belt loops with some off a Blade-Tech and made the one that sits higher 1 3/4 instead of 1 1/2. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. I am going to try a few home modification to see if I can make it more AIWB like. Will give me something to do until John opens up orders on his "sneak peek"

I suggest you check out Raven Concealment. I see these guys about once a month at our Sunday study group and they have been using a aiwb holster that they recently developed. Their turnaround time is about 3-4 months but they are retooling and hope to reduce that drastically. The holster is called the ACR (appendix carry rig) and like all there stuff, is well made and modular. All their products carry a lifetime warranty.

I have a Shaggy questions. As I prepare to buy one when ordering opens back up how many of you have the leather backing and why or why not? Which attachment method do you prefer (standard loop, kydex loop, or leather snap straps) and why? I am looking into carrying a Glock 19. How much size difference is there between a Shaggy for a 17 and 19 if you have both? Someone here stated that they carry a holster for a 17 and can put a G17, G19 or a G26 in it. Thanks for the help.

Site Supporter
    Get the leather backing, it helps with a hot muzzle getting too close to sensitive skin.

I like the solid loop, it seems the most stable.

We are diminished
    I'm 100% with JV. I think the leather backing makes it a bit more comfortable and also makes a big difference if you shoot high volume and the gun gets warm. The leather adds a slight thickness to the holster but if that makes the difference between concealed and unconcealed, you're doing something wrong.

I prefer the solid kydex loop. The edge may print slightly under just the wrong circumstance but it is very rigid, secure, and effective.

The G17 holster will provide slightly better concealment (the pistol grip will leverage into your body a bit more, especially when you bend down, etc.) but obviously runs the risk of being slightly less comfortable depending on exactly how you position it.

Well, I tried the Sparks SS2 today for about 14 hours straight with the blade tech straps on and made a few notes.

1. It tends to gravitate towards 12 o'clock as the day waned on (can't figure that out because of the giant snake behind the zipper :0)

2. My belly tended to impair my draw as my shooting thumb had to kind of "dig in" to the excess to get a proper grip (maybe I am just to heavy for the AIWB 6'0"/230)

3. The Sparks holster is TIGHT compared to any kydex holster I have previously used with the exception of the Raven Concealment rigs

4. 13+ years in LE and another 3 before that carrying is hard to overcome since I have always carried at 2:30/3:00.

5. I work drugs and I have to say that at several public places and even at the PD I had people who know me, ask where my gun was (jeans & t-shirt with a fleece zip up)

AIWB is great for us left handers. Especially in the car. It is very hard to get to a strong side holster in a car seat if you are left handed. However AIWB allows access and is comfortable. I carry one with a 5" 1911 in a Shaggy and am convinced after doing it for about 8 months.

User Tag List