Page 101 of 221 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2208

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by CSquared View Post
    I'm not sure why some are saying his holster isn't good for AIWB.

The INCOG is set up the same way, especially if you remove the outside clip, as are the Philster AIWB offerings, Gun Craft and their Krypto, my K Rounds and others. I feel that his problem is 100% belt. I've been wearing a K Rounds for a while now, even carried a P250 which size-wise is identical to the 320 and never had a problem AND it's marketed as a dedicated AIWB holster as are the others I listed which are designed almost exactly the same way.

...wow, run on sentence much...lol.
    Keyword: almost.

Just because a holster appears similar does not mean it rides, carries or conceals similarly.

In my experience the details really matter. May not be that way for everyone though.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by CSquared View Post
    I'm not sure why some are saying his holster isn't good for AIWB.

The INCOG is set up the same way, especially if you remove the outside clip, as are the Philster AIWB offerings, Gun Craft and their Krypto, my K Rounds and others. I feel that his problem is 100% belt. I've been wearing a K Rounds for a while now, even carried a P250 which size-wise is identical to the 320 and never had a problem AND it's marketed as a dedicated AIWB holster as are the others I listed which are designed almost exactly the same way.

...wow, run on sentence much...lol.
    They are NOT dedicated AIWB holsters. They are straight drop IWB holsters with an extra "A" added to their description to capitalize on what is a wave of people carrying in that position. The secret is most often they are functional in that spot. Most people can get away with it if they're lean or have a chest larger than their stomach. Even then functional is not ideal.

I feel in most cases that style of holster, non-aiwb marketed as aiwb, is nothing more than that fastest holster that can be made and sold. I know I can make more money in the same time making those at a 3:1 or 4:1 pace as my wedge based AIWB.

Buy a JM Custom for the 250/320 you're carrying and report back which works better.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Guaranteed my K Rounds is an appendix holster as is the Philster skeleton and access models. (I don't have any Philster products and think the guy is weird...) Those holster makers perhaps did capitalize on the growing aiwb market (not a crime) but did so by making a holster specific to that need. Just as you said putting the "a" at the beginning doesn't absolutely make it an appendix holster exclusively, neither do things like a wedge, an angled belt clip or strut and loop, the fact that you "can wear it without a proper gun belt" etc. I feel we are talking semantics here because the term "almost" was used to highlight the fact that different holster makers do holsters a different way; struts vs loops, clips vs paddle attachments etc.

The fact that people are going as far as saying "that's not an aiwb because it doesn't have this..." is asinine because not a single one of us here is any kind of expert on that method of carry save those on here that are actively making them BECAUSE they carry that way and want to adjust what they feel is a shortfall. Thus proving that not every holster, of any kind, isn't right for everybody.

Take Travis Haley for instance, I think he is a pretty close thing to an expert firearms/tactics/shooter what have you but after trying the Incog and incog eclipse, both of which are designed as aiwb, they suck to me. But that's me.

I think instead of saying, "you need to buy a holster like I have" we should find a similar criteria of more than one or two features, that makes aiwb holsters aiwb specific, not just one or two things about yours you like and actually provide helpful information instead of "buy a shaggy" or something to that extreme.

It's always disheartening to see people who promote their favorite holster, gun, or whatever as the best when it's only the best for them instead of providing feedback on why they like it, what features work for them, and if they would ever use anything else. You dig a wedge? Is that the only difference between x and y holsters? A guy can make a wedge himself, no biggie. You like tuckable? Don't buy one that doesn't have a tuckable clip option then complain. There are many factors that go into holster purchase.

You realize a holster maker suggested trying a competitors product, right? If he was just trying to pimp gear, I'm sure he'd pimp his own…

Also, I'd say there's plenty of people on here who either make holsters or have been closely involved in AIWB holster development that they can pretty definitively categorize what problems an AIWB should address and how various makers have addressed those issues - as well as judge whether or not a holster adequately attempts to address them. Your mistake seems to be projecting either your own lack of knowledge or what you assume to be the average joe's lack of knowledge on others here.

I didn't make a mistake, I made suggestions.

And any site where people visit and tell people they're wrong instead of providing constructive feedback is not a site I feel I should come to any longer. I used to hold this forum and thread in high regard but some people decided to be let in on their high horse instead of their helpful horse.

Thanks for the great conversation up until this point. I'm highly disappointed that you guys feel there are ultimatum choices in appendix holsters.

Appendix holsters ARE straight drop holsters made to be work along the front of the body. From that point there are options not ultimatums. Not a right way or wrong way. (Unless youre using something specifically not marketed as aiwb) I wore a hybrid crossbreed style for only 3 months of my chl before I went appendix and my first appendix holster sucked. It was belt loop only with no tuck and nothing to kick the butt of the gun closer. So then I purchased a K Rounds and have been wearing it for almost the life of my chl. Am I wrong? Did I buy an incorrect holster? It has a strut and loop combo that tucks the gun closer, covers the entire slide on both sides, so belt buckles and brads from pants don't scratch it, and it's made strictly out of thick kydex. I myself added a wedge so my G21 specifically has more tuck. So yeah I'm biased toward my own holster because I like it. Should anybody else buy it? How should I know? I'm not built the same as any of yall.

You tell me I made a "mistake" which is ludicrous, I made suggestions. Yall are dealing in absolutes. Again, your circle of holsters aren't "the best," only the best for you. Ignorance is telling people otherwise. When people ask about appendix holsters, I can name 4-5 to try that only buying them would satisfy any one person's criteria.

I say x is an appendix holster and you say I'm wrong. How very callous and small minded when you like what you like and others like what they like. Again, take the Incog for example, it's stupid popular and there are a metric ton of people who wear one and actually like it. Are they wrong? Did they make a mistake? No. They bought what works for them.

I also wear a T. REX Arms side car rig. Sort of a blatant copy of an incog with mag combo minus the fuzz and a slightly different cant to the magazine. I suppose I'm wrong again there as well? I didn't even suggest anybody buy that one but it's as good holster.

Please, go on suggesting what you want. I would suggest not to continue telling people they have made a mistake about holster choices/suggestions any further as it makes you seem rude and unapproachable. Just my .02.

Oh and discontinue including me in the conversation since I don't know what I'm talking about. You'll just waste your time.
    Last edited by CSquared; 05-03-2015 at 05:05 PM.

The distinction between an AIWB specific holster and an IWB holster is features added to aid in tucking in the grip. Struts and loops, as mentioned above, don't do that. That's not to say those holsters don't work there, they just aren't what anyone who has been involved in AIWB since before it was cool would call an AIWB holster.

That's the accepted definition EVERYWHERE accept by those selling straight drop IWB's with an extra "A" in the description. As I said above, and say on my website, and many others even posted here many straight drop IWB holsters can work. What you're missing here is that on this specific forum you have members who were involved in the original purpose built AIWB holsters. SLG, ToddG, Rich@CCC and many others were the ones to get good gear rolling and pioneer the designs.

If you like your holster you can keep it.

As for what the majority of the suggestions here are.... They are for purpose built AIWB holsters. How is that incorrect? One could make a case that it would be disengenuos to suggest a straight drop IWB given how often they are not the most ideal holster. One could easily start a thread title Straight Drop IWB Holsters That Are Cheap and Delivered Quickly That Might Work for AIWB Too and I am sure we could populate the list rather quickly just with the holsters you have found success with.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by CSquared
    I didn't make a mistake, I made suggestions.

Dude, whatever crawled up your ass has clearly died. You should get that checked out.
    Last edited by Captain; 05-03-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Ok, so I'm finally going to give AIWB a fair shot. Help me do my homework and point me in the right direction so I don't waste some money.

What I need:

New carry belt (needs to be brown leather dress belt)
    Tuckable AIWB for Glock 43
    AIWB for Glock 19

My first inclinations are the JM Concealment tuckable and AIWB holsters. I have no clue on the belt. Any other ideas? The 43 will be carried in an NPE where I guaranteed will lose my job if spotted so it needs to be absolutely unmakeable. I will be sitting for most of the day so there's that too.

I'm not sure if it matters, but my body type is 6'0, 230lbs, very stocky, barrel chested build. I'm in pretty good shape overall but am probably carrying around a few extra pounds so there's a little pudge around the middle.

I'm not sold on this whole AIWB thing. I've tried it and found it excruciating in the past, but I never dedicated money to really good holsters. I have mostly used a crossbreed supertuck for the last few years on the weekends and left the gun in the car during the week. Recent events, and some agitated people at my job have convinced me that it's probably time to start carrying at work regardless of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Ok, so I'm finally going to give AIWB a fair shot. Help me do my homework and point me in the right direction so I don't waste some money.

What I need:

AIWB for Glock 19

My first inclinations are the JM Concealment tuckable and AIWB holsters. I have no clue on the belt. Any other ideas? The 43 will be carried in an NPE where I guaranteed will lose my job if spotted so it needs to be absolutely unmakeable. I will be sitting for most of the day so there's that too.

I'm not sure if it matters, but my body type is 6'0, 230lbs, very stocky, barrel chested build. I'm in pretty good shape overall but am probably carrying around a few extra pounds so there's a little pudge around the middle.

I'm not sold on this whole AIWB thing. I've tried it and found it excruciating in the past, but I never dedicated money to really good holsters. I have mostly used a crossbreed supertuck for the last few years on the weekends and left the gun in the car during the week. Recent events, and some agitated people at my job have convinced me that it's probably time to start carrying at work regardless of the rules.
    jm or dark star gear for appendix holster. Message JodyH about the leather belt.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post

What I need:

AIWB for Glock 19

As far as the belt goes, I've found that the tactical/riggers/whatever belts with the velcro are easier to use with an AIWB holster (leaves me with more room up front). However, I think they look stupid and mall-ninja-y and I also think belts are supposed to be made of leather. So, I refuse to wear them.

I've had good success with the Beltman for a production/right now leather belt. I'm still on the same one I bought three years ago, and it's doing just fine. However, for more custom work, JRC Holsters looks like he does beautiful work.

User Tag List