Page 53 of 221 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I guess I can't call it Appendix carry anymore for myself as I had an appendectomy this week.
    Thats pretty funny.

Does anyone feel that the first belt loop of 5.11s gets in the way of where you want to place the holster on your belt? Any suggested fixes...maybe new pants are in order?

I found appendix carry got a lot more comfortable when I became less of a fat bastard. Been carrying a G19 in a Raven VG2 for almost a month now and love it. Tying my shoes is a little uncomfortable but that's easily remedied by... wait for it.. taking the holster off. Sitting in a car, hiking, running, etc are all very comfortable. Tom Fineis at Raven is a pleasure to deal with, he went above and beyond to deal with a small issue I had. I think a shorter gun is actually less comfortable than a bigger one because it levers against your groin more when you bend as there isn't as much slide to keep it flat against you. Have to experiment and see if a 34 or 17 is doable in the VG2.

Had a CCC Shaggy but didn't find it near as comfortable as the Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I guess I can't call it Appendix carry anymore for myself as I had an appendectomy this week.
    Southnarc always calls it vasectomy carry.

I found AIWB to be amazingly painful within a few short minutes. Bending over to tie my shoes was torture, even with an empty holster. Sitting upright was at best uncomfortable.

I'm junking it and going to back to the Sparks VMII. Yep, slower but at least I can carry the damn gun without bringing tears to my eyes.
    Until I lost a whole bunch of weight last year, I had the same problem in reverse. Literally could not carry comfortably in any holster on or behind the hip. IWB, OWB, it didn't matter. (Went through plenty of them to prove it, too!) Every time I absolutely had to use such a holster for a class or somesuch, I had deep bruises in a wide area across my ribs and upper hip bone. The second day of a two day class was pure torture and I am not even exaggerating. The only exception was with extreme dropped & offset holsters, which are inherently less stable on the draw and come with their own set of challenges -- and are certainly not an option for concealed carry.

Appendix carry worked, though. Not painful at all, allowed freedom of movement, allowed me to protect the firearm, and best of all: no bruises!

Since losing the weight, I feel better and the behind-hip OWB bruising is only minimal unless we're doing a whole lot of shooting. The second day of a two day class is still uncomfortable, but it's no longer torture. But I still find appendix much more comfortable, much more concealable, and much more secure in use.

pax
    Kathy Jackson

We are diminished
    Traded emails with Joyce Wilson (IDPA HQ) today and asked her if aiwb was on the horizon for IDPA. She said she doubted it due to safety concerns.

Sad news, but not unexpected. Given that a few folks do tend to shoot themselves while holstering each year at various action pistol sporting events, I'd also say it's understandable. But it still makes me sad.

IDPA is dead to me... DEAD I SAY!
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Traded emails with Joyce Wilson (IDPA HQ) today and asked her if aiwb was on the horizon for IDPA. She said she doubted it due to safety concerns.

Sad news, but not unexpected. Given that a few folks do tend to shoot themselves while holstering each year at various action pistol sporting events, I'd also say it's understandable. But it still makes me sad.
    I was actually wondering about the status of AIWB & IDPA yesterday after getting off the phone with one of my buddies who's big in to shooting IDPA and was telling me about his most recent exploits.

But you're probably right Todd, it's sadly understandable given the ND/AD's that happen when holstering. One in your foot or leg is bad, one in your groin or femoral area, tragic. It would probably be a quick end for any IDPA group should someone put a round through themselves via AIWB.

Recently read an article about a guy who shot himself in his penis with a Glock in .40. It didn't sound like he was using a holster, but I don't think this style of carry is for the masses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

This makes me a sad panda.

User Tag List