Page 76 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by Slopes-2-Shores View Post
    I shoulda known that. Thanks. Maybe a bit of over analysis. I can't buy until early next week anyway.

There are a lot of what seem like good choices. The user's feedback is all over the place here and evrywhere too. The Shaggy is a name I remember reading about positively on another forum a while back. I'll contact manufacturers when the funds are in place about more accurate lead times.

I have decided that whatever rig I get it will be for a G19 but I'm going to use only the G26 in it for summers East. I'm also going to invest in a mag carrier with a clip at the same time. The mag will only be carried coming and going, the gun will be worn for 3-12 hours at a time everyday, all summer. Working in a fast moving food biz, bending reaching etc has been no problem wearing the snub. Bigger T-shirt or golf style polo type and it's good. The G26 in the Rosen CLP does it easily too IMO, I just can't get to it quickly. I'm going to keep it though.

Thanks. Cheers !

-JC
    It gets hot here in Texas, and I've got no problems concealing a G19 or even my G34 in the summers. It's all about the holster and belt. For reaching and bending AIWB is a very good location to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_cs View Post
    It gets hot here in Texas, and I've got no problems concealing a G19 or even my G34 in the summers. It's all about the holster and belt. For reaching and bending AIWB is a very good location to carry.
    My choice isn't so much an inability to hide a bigger gun. I don't need 100% covert carry in my work setting either (which is mainly where I carry). It's because of the dumb laws on the East Coast, MA to be specific. My G26 is a pre-ban era "MA compliant" gun. I could use my newer G19 with pre-ban mags, it would be legal. But if something happens I don't want to have any additional problems and having a "non-approved" gun in MA w/ a non-resident carry permit just seems like it could be a problem despite being legal. I just don't want to have a gun in MA that has any questions about it. Any gun I have in MA is a gun that I bought in MA when a resident there. Just a CYA move on my part, better safe than sorry in the nanny-state of MA.

I'm going to order one of the holsters tomorrow when done traveling. I will update when my choice is made.

Cheers !

-JC

I just ordered a Shaggy sized for the G19 to carry the G26 mostly.

I ordered it with the standard clip and added the leather loops and hardware to try. I decided to not get it with the leather backing.

I really had a hard time choosing between that one and JM Custom AIWB. I'm almost tempted to order both and just sell the one I like less, but must be more cash conservative than that for now.

I feel confident I'll like wearing it. I'm tempted to get a G26 blue gun now as well. I did also spring for some pre-ban G19 mags just in case I decide to bring the 19 east now that a rig that will fit it is on the way.

Thanks for the help and Q&A.

Cheers!

-JC

Seeking Advice Please

Hello Everybody,
    First time posting. Appreciate the forum and looking forward to being an active participant here.

I've been carrying concealed since 2001. I've been considering AIWB carry for a while now. Like others, I see the advantages and I am also very cautious about the potential dangers of this method of carry. I have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

Let me premise this by stating I have read the majority of the posts on this thread. Especially those made by ToddG.

So here I go:

1) I realize the importance of proper training. Until I take an actual class to help me become safer and more proficient with AIWB, are there any instructional video/DVD's that truly illustrate the proper application of this carry method?

2) I just ordered a JM Custom Kydex (was considering the G-Code INCOG). This will be for my G26. Tony has recommended I select a G17 size holster to help keep the gun from rotating and for comfort.

3) I realize the success of carrying AIWB comfortably is partially dependent on body shape and size. I'm currently 6' 206# and loosing (Target 180). I'm more lean muscle than fat but I do have some belly. Looks like this post by "Meat" addresses my concerns

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post90625

I appreciate any and all advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance

GnG
    Last edited by GnG; 06-15-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Consolidated to post above. Sorry.
    Last edited by GnG; 06-15-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GnG View Post
    Hello Everybody,
    First time posting. Appreciate the forum and looking forward to being an active participant here.

I've been carrying concealed since 2001. I've been considering AIWB carry for a while now. Like others, I see the advantages and I am also very cautious about the potential dangers of this method of carry. I have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

Let me premise this by stating I have read the majority of the posts on this thread. Especially those made by ToddG.

So here I go:

1) I realize the importance of proper training. Until I take an actual class to help me become safer and more proficient with AIWB, are there any instructional video/DVD's that truly illustrate the proper application of this carry method?

2) I just ordered a JM Custom Kydex (was considering the G-Code INCOG). This will be for my G26. Tony has recommended I select a G17 size holster to help keep the gun from rotating and for comfort.

3) I realize the success of carrying AIWB comfortably is partially dependent on body shape and size. I'm currently 6' 206# and loosing (Target 180). I'm more lean muscle than fat but I do have some belly. Looks like this post by "Meat" addresses my concerns

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post90625

I appreciate any and all advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance

GnG
    Must read if you haven't already : http://pistol-training.com/archives/7768

Well, now I know what it feels like to truly have the gun "rotate" or want to lever out of my belt. It didn't really want to flip out but it felt like it could. Just an active shift wearing my G26 in it's Mitch Rosen CLP worn in front proved it to me.
    It's a good rig, hides the gun really well, falls a bit short in getting a good grip for me though. I've been wearing it while I wait for my Shaggy to get a better feel for the Glock up front. It's made in the G26/27 length. I still will keep it for deeper concealment though I think.

I can clearly see why the longer holster for using with the G26 is a good idea. I had never really experienced that levering to that extent before.

I'll update when I get my Shaggy. I also ordered a Kytex mag carrier. Cheers!

-JC

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Keepers Concealment holster for my G20. I like the features and the adjustability it promises - I'll report back once I have it in 2 to 60 months ;-)

Really curious to see how it will stack up against the RCS VG2! That thing has almost spoiled me.
    Well I waffled a little after ordering the Keepers and ended up canceling the order and going with a JM Custom Kydex AIWB with soft loops, extra tuck and a mid sweat shield.

MAN!! What a great holster!

So far I feel it gives me everything the VG2 did in terms of comfort while concealing better - carrying the G20 under a t-shirt is doable now. Positioning is much more consistent as well... that will surely improve my draw from concealment.

I'm really glad I took a chance on this...
    "A man's character is his fate."

Reviewer of the Tools
    I have a question for the more experienced M&P AIWB users here.

I have started looking at the M&P 45 series as a dedicated 10 round carry gun since my state recently passed legislation requiring this. I am leaning specifically towards the mid size model with an ambi safety for the added protection during re holstering while AIWB carrying. However, I am interested in adding a set of Crimson Trace laser grips to the pistol which would require me to shave off the right side safety lever. Shaving this safety lever off would eliminate my ability to ride the safety upwards with my trigger finger while reholstering. This kind of defeats the purpose of an external safety for AIWB on a striker fired gun. Would you more experienced users here say it is worth the trade off to have a laser or would it be better to skip out on the laser and keep the ambi saftey?

Bit-O-Background, currently carrying a H&K P2000SK 9mm V3 or a P30LS 9mm V3 AIWB with Kydex holsters. I enjoy the added comfort of being able to use the safety on the P30LS while reholstering and also being able to ride the hammer on both guns while reholstering.

I am only considering a 45 at this time though because of new state laws that require 10 round magazines.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I have a question for the more experienced M&P AIWB users here.

I have started looking at the M&P 45 series as a dedicated 10 round carry gun since my state recently passed legislation requiring this. I am leaning specifically towards the mid size model with an ambi safety for the added protection during re holstering while AIWB carrying. However, I am interested in adding a set of Crimson Trace laser grips to the pistol which would require me to shave off the right side safety lever. Shaving this safety lever off would eliminate my ability to ride the safety upwards with my trigger finger while reholstering. This kind of defeats the purpose of an external safety for AIWB on a striker fired gun. Would you more experienced users here say it is worth the trade off to have a laser or would it be better to skip out on the laser and keep the ambi saftey?

Bit-O-Background, currently carrying a H&K P2000SK 9mm V3 or a P30LS 9mm V3 AIWB with Kydex holsters. I enjoy the added comfort of being able to use the safety on the P30LS while reholstering and also being able to ride the hammer on both guns while reholstering.

I am only considering a 45 at this time though because of new state laws that require 10 round magazines.
    Use your thumb to hold the left hand side of the safety up instead of using your trigger finger on the right side. I have been carrying an M&P 9 with thumb safety and crimson trace AIWB for a few years now and this is what I do. I'm also switching over to the mid-size .45 for exactly that reason.

User Tag List