Page 48 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    What holster/gun are you using? I ride my bike to work two or three times a week ~ 6 miles each way with a full size M&P in a Shaggy and have no discomfort at all.
    After trying several leather and kydex aiwb holsters I gave the Shaggy a try with my G19 and have been most impressed with the comfort level... it is comfortable when I put it on and just seems to disappear after a few minutes of wearing it. The only time I really notice it is if I have to bend over to the side from a seated position ... and my belly is more to blame for that! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    What holster/gun are you using? I ride my bike to work two or three times a week ~ 6 miles each way with a full size M&P in a Shaggy and have no discomfort at all.
    M&P Shield in a PHLster Skeleton. I switched yesterday to a prototype Praetor defense rig and that has completely eliminated the discomfort on a bicycle. The Skeleton holster had a bit that would contact my right leg in a really unpleasant way every rotation of the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
    And riding a motorcycle is totally comfy. I did a 12 hour trip last weekend without any problems.
    riding a motorcycle while carrying a g19 in a shaggy did not bother me at all. it may have been better than sitting in a car.

MTechnik had the first (and only) pics I've been able to find showing where the heck the gun is when you are sitting. In his it doesn't look like he'd be able to bend his hip more than about 60 degrees.

Any better pcitures out there? Can someone put one on over a pair of gym shorts or something and show us where the gun is when you sit? That's the part I can't figure out. Is the barrel sitting on your thigh or between your legs? Some of the posts on here show the gun pretty much right at the zipper (in which case I would think barrel between legs) but at 1 oclock barrel would have to be on your thigh.

When I sit upright, my belt is pretty much right at thigh level (less than 1" between bottom of belt and top of thigh) so that makes me think I'd have to have less than 1" of the barrel protruding below my belt..... Early in the thread there were some posts indicating that if the gun was TOO small it was worse for AIWB.

I'm interested in trying, but don't want to spend a lot of $ on a holster and hate it.

Any pictures of where the gun is when sitting down? I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

Soulman,

It sits between your legs, or in the pelvic crease. Here's an HK P2000 in a Shaggy. In this picture, I'm sitting perpendicular/upright.

Name:  aiwb.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  4.6 KB

ETA: The gun is about 12:45-1:00 depending on how you measure. My belt buckle is offset slightly to the left of center line. Usually for me, the muzzle is in the pelvic crease. If I wear it more towards center line like the smaller stature guys on here, my festive tortilla tumor pushes the muzzle into the tender area above the twig and berries, resulting in discomfort.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-30-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Soulman, what gun you going to carry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    MTechnik had the first (and only) pics I've been able to find showing where the heck the gun is when you are sitting. In his it doesn't look like he'd be able to bend his hip more than about 60 degrees.

Any better pcitures out there? Can someone put one on over a pair of gym shorts or something and show us where the gun is when you sit? That's the part I can't figure out. Is the barrel sitting on your thigh or between your legs? Some of the posts on here show the gun pretty much right at the zipper (in which case I would think barrel between legs) but at 1 oclock barrel would have to be on your thigh.

When I sit upright, my belt is pretty much right at thigh level (less than 1" between bottom of belt and top of thigh) so that makes me think I'd have to have less than 1" of the barrel protruding below my belt..... Early in the thread there were some posts indicating that if the gun was TOO small it was worse for AIWB.

I'm interested in trying, but don't want to spend a lot of $ on a holster and hate it.

Any pictures of where the gun is when sitting down? I'm having a hard time figuring that out.
    You can try it with an unloaded pistol an find where is comfortable for you. Also you have a choice of cant. I prefer grip parallel to floor which gives you a muzzle forward cant, as long as it is high enough above the belt to get a full grip. Some people prefer a vertical barrel which raises the heel of the grip up. I personally don't like this as well because i have to roll my shoulder to get a grip, or I have to push the heel of the grip down.

Anyone have any tips on comfort with the shaggy when seating? The sweat shield seems to jam into my
    stomach when getting in the car, sitting in a low seat, or bending over. I don't really remember this happening with the g19 and shaggy. Kinda annoying.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    When I first got the Shaggy for my P30, it was quite a shock...severely uncomfortable. I had been carrying an M&P in a Shaggy for quite some time and my P30 in a looper I snagged from Todd prior to that, so I was quite consternated. Turns out that what I needed to do was spend time working with the new gun/holster combo like I had spent with the previous gun/holster combos because the "sweet spot" we talk about so much around here was slightly different. I rode the P30 Shaggy a tad lower than I had been doing with my M&P and put it closer to the button of my pants. That helped.

Dropping a few lbs helped a hell of a lot, too. After working with it a bit I got to the point where I was just as comfortable with it as I was with the M&P. So my best advice is to keep working with it. If worse comes to worse, you can always try trimming the sweat shield to remove the stabby bit that's causing you grief.

Edit - the placement on my waist is very similar to where TGS has his pistol riding in the above pic. I don't get any dig-in issues with that placement...of course, I'll also be the first to admit that perhaps the fact that I've spent over 2 years with a pistol shoved down the front of my pants has gotten me used to the proposition so that I don't feel things that other people feel when doing it. I've noticed others tend to complain about the grip of the P30 being abrasive on bare skin, for instance...but I don't even notice when I carry without an undershirt...and I've got grip tape on my P30 to make it even grippier.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 04-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks TC, that's great news to hear as I was a little frustrated to say the least.

User Tag List