Page 204 of 221 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 2208

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Removing the gun while driving is a terrible idea. WAY too much unnecessary handling. I don't use the Enigma but I do carry a 19 or 17 in a JMCK 2.0. I'd experiment with where on your body you're carrying. I carry as close to the hip crease as possible without getting in the way of bending. If you're carrying close to centerline, try moving towards 1:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Agreed. Removing the gun is a bad idea, we need to be minimizing administrative gun handling.

As for placement... it's so wildly variable, but Larry hit it on the head by saying "experiment". Try moving the pistol a little closer to centerline, or away from centerline and see how that changes the angle & interactions of your body (pelvic crease, rib cage, etc). You can also try adding some positive or negative cant to the holster to see if it's just a small angle adjustment that takes the grip from "digging in" to "perfectly comfortable" - sometimes it's just a small tweak that can really change that.
    I have found that if I drop the holster just a little lower and tighten the belt it doesn't dig in my rib and it sits on the crease of my leg when I sit. I tried adjusting cant and found where I had it was my sweet spot. Its a great compromise of being able to conceal, draw and comfort.
    Thanks guys

This is probably buried in this thread, but I’m curious to find out which wedges are preferred. I’ve used the Tier 1 wedges, both the original width and the wide (XL, L, M, S) and I find them lacking. When paired with a mod wing using the smallest attachment I found the wedge simply slipped away from my body when the belt pivoted the holster on the mod wing claw. Basically useless. I’ve found a couple other brands/designs- mastermind tactics, teardrop, jmck, etc. looking for some info. (I am not using a tier 1 holster, so my holster just might not work with that wedge design.)

I prefer the ones from mastermind tactics.
    Wearing the Tenicor Certum, I've gotten away from the wedges, and just use the mastermind pad instead.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I’ve found the most success making my own out of yoga block and Velcro tape. I also know people who’ve gone and found some other material they like more and done the same thing. It lets you get exactly the shape and size you need - it was a real game changer for me in making AIWB work.

I've tried several foam wedges and pads which never worked well for me. I finally made a Junk Pillow and find it way more comfortable than foam.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....(AIWB-cushion)
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

The best wedges / pads I have used, (and admittedly, I haven't tried tons of options), have been the Mastermind from a few years back.

That said, I've stopped using them with the DSG Orion as I seem to be getting pretty much all of the tuck I need from the DSG Dark Wing. It's been a game changer.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I've tried several foam wedges and pads which never worked well for me. I finally made a Junk Pillow and find it way more comfortable than foam.

The elastic modulus of all the foam wedges I've tried is too high. In layman's terms, they're too stiff to spread the load. That causes stress concentrations, which don't feel good. The design of sleeping pillows is a good clue for what feels good against the body. That's similar to the feel of the JCP.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post

Same here.

I found the foam wedges to be too stiff, and also used @Clusterfrack's thread to make a JCP. I discovered I had to fiddle with the amount of poly-fil in the JCP though, and finally settled on a weight of about 10 grams. I mount it so it just curls under the kydex at the bottom. Overall it adds about 0.100" to my holster-to-belly distance.

I used a suggestion by @JCN to install a Dr. Scholl's Womens Gel Heel Pad (aka Melody Lauer Holster Hack) upside down at the top of the holster as well; it adds a slight bit of distance to help me get a much better master grip on the draw, and reduces the irritation I get from the sweat guard / cheese grater of the rear upper slide area onto my sensitive pajama-boy skin in that area.

Gel pad shown removed but it sits on the black velcro
    Name:  IMG_8751.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_8750.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  35.8 KB

AIWB (Appendix Carry)

@RJ, can you clarify about the added 0.10”? My JCPs add zero to my above the belt thickness.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

@RJ , you’re looking good! So trim!

As an aside, instead of all the added external pieces to the kydex holster the simple option for me has been a hybrid holster setup for convenient carry. One tuckable clip and all the padding goes with it. Easy on and easy off.

Name:  F9CBF1AE-FAC5-4154-9B45-0D1EEBD59486.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  35A2A813-B024-4DFA-BB7F-D9CFDFB0790E.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  49.1 KB

It’s not my fastest to draw from holster but it’s way comfortable and convenient. And conceals well.

User Tag List