Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out: "Action Pistol"

First time out: "Action Pistol"

With the kids away at the beach with Grandma this week I decided to try out my local gun shop/range's "action pistol" match on Thursday. It's like the other pistol sports but much less formal. No concealment, etc... I decided to shoot my S&W 686 SSR because I've been doing a lot of dry fire work with it lately and I really enjoy shooting it. According to the range's website the stages were ~12 rounds so I figured I'd be fine with a couple of speed loaders. I had a new case of freedom munitions 158 gr RNs and was ready to rock and/or roll.
    It was a train wreck. I was the only revolver shooter there out of about twenty shooters. I thought to myself, this is great. I can run this gun well. I'll show everyone. Nope. Apparently freedom uses a harder primer than I've ever shot because I had light strikes all freakin evening. At least one round per cylinder didn't fire. The first time it happened was at the end of a cylinder (during the first stage) and the sheer shock and frustration caused me to fumble my reload like a blind idiot. I was making good hits but I was stuck reloading like crazy through the stages. I'd basically pull the trigger six times (regardless of the number of booms) then reload and drive on.
    Of course, this could have all been avoided if I had tested any of this ammo prior to the match. I assumed (yes, I know) all would be well. I'm glad it was just for fun, but incredibly irritated by the whole thing.
    On the bright side, there were a few kids shooting the match that were very good. Two boys about 13 that were friends and there with one of their fathers shooting a G19 and G26 respectively. They shot alright but really handled themselves very well throughout the short match.

I'm going to take more of the ammo out this week when I have a day off and test it properly with my 686, my 340, and probably my dad's colt king cobra (any excuse to borrow the colt, lol). Also going to test out the Freedom Munitions 9mm in my glocks before shooting a 2-gun match this weekend. I don't expect to be very competitive score-wise but I don't want a repeat of this recent performance.

Frustrating!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

FWIW I've had 100.0% good rounds over many thousands of Freedom Munitions 9mm and 40sw fired through HKs over the last 6 months. Not a single misfire, hard primer, weak powder load, squib, etc.

Sorry to hear you had a rough experience -- good learning in there, though. Test your ammo before you shoot in front of other people, and don't let it shake you when things don't go as planned.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

And that is why I am so anal about my equipment.

I have a regional match this weekend so today was spent:
    1. Cleaning and lubing primary and back up gun
    2. Gathering together the ammo I will bring and case gauging the match ammo
    3. Cleaning Competition Magazines
    4. Checking screws on holster, mag pouches, and belt system.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    FWIW I've had 100.0% good rounds over many thousands of Freedom Munitions 9mm and 40sw fired through HKs over the last 6 months. Not a single misfire, hard primer, weak powder load, squib, etc.
    That's why I bought it and trusted it. People I trust use it regularly. I contacted them just asking about what primers they used. I figure worst case I can swap out some springs or something to be able to use it for practice.

Another funny moment from before the match. I was talking to the two young teens before the match. One was asking the other where to put their spare mag/carrier. I offered them advice about placement (bullets forward) and gripping the mag properly to index it and aid in the reload. 30 seconds of instruction.
    They looked at me like I was some retard with a revolver, lol. I know the "uh, whatever" look quite well. My 13 yr old daughter issues it regularly.

Man that's frustrating. I had a pistol go down at a match years ago, so switched out to my revolver. Found out that it wasn't busting primers at all (100%) due to my cutting of the hammer spur. Trip back to Ruger (Security Six) and a new hammer and all was well.

May want to check the mainspring tension screw and perhaps a new main spring.

I'll check out that tension screw for sure, thanks Al.
    I really love the trigger on this SSR, I would hate to have to change stuff too much to get this ammo to run.

If the custom shop is still doing things like they were 4 years ago when my son purchased his 686 SSR they were using a Wolf Springs Power Rib Main Spring - Type 2 which is rated for competition use only. While he never had any issues setting off the primers I use for our ammo, it may have issues with hard primers. Type 1 is rated as factory standard and they advise only to use Type 1's in duty weapons.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=3&mID=58
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Does the ammo ignite in this revolver single action? (Am I mistaken or does SA get a harder shot at a primer than DA in a wheelie?)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

First time out: "Action Pistol"

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    If the custom shop is still doing things like they were 4 years ago when my son purchased his 686 SSR they were using a Wolf Springs Power Rib Main Spring - Type 2 which is rated for competition use only. While he never had any issues setting off the primers I use for our ammo, it may have issues with hard primers. Type 1 is rated as factory standard and they advise only to use Type 1's in duty weapons.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=3&mID=58
    Very interesting. Thank you very much!
    I want to take it apart and see if there's any distinguishing marks on it and make sure it's tight but I'm working so it has to stay holstered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List