Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1911 Familiarization...and a 2000 round test

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's sort of the point though - the average gun owner isn't really a tinkerer any more than the average car owner wants to change the oil in his Camry. But most gun owners aren't ever going to run their 1911s hard enough to really need to maintain them. A 1911, even a crappy one like a Taurus will probably be more than durable enough for the average gun owner, but when you start getting into serious round counts then you start to see the issues with the maintenance performance of the 1911 platform.

Good point.

FWIW, here's a recent article from the LAV on 1911's.

Military Times June 8, 2011.

"If you’re about to surrender to the 100-year-old call of John Moses Browning, we’re here to help. You can probably count as many Model 1911 configurations as stars in the sky. So to make sense of all the choices, we enlisted a guy who knows his way around the 1911 like Darrell Waltrip knows his way around Daytona.

As the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta’s primary firearms instructor, Larry Vickers worked in a place that put more than a million rounds a year through 1911s. He’s a founding member of the International Defensive Pistol Association and is a member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild. When he says he’s seen everything that can go wrong with a 1911, I believe him.

“Now, I shoot a Glock,” Vickers tells me. “Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”

Modern pistol designs have made the 1911 obsolete in it’s role as a combat sidearm. It’s finicky and demands constant attention that a warfighter can’t afford to offer. But when it’s tuned and running well, it’s the most accurate pistol out there.

Warnings aside, the pistol’s appeal is strong and romantic. Picking up the pistol feels like shaking hands with John Wayne. It shoots man-sized rounds and, when tuned, it shoots a quarter-sized group at 50 yards.

But the 1911 is not a plug-and-play platform. Even a $2,000 semi-custom 1911 likely will need a pricey trip to a gunsmith for tweaking. Changing out all but the simplest parts will demand expert hand filing and fitting.

“I’ve had guys sell their pistols after taking my 1911 armoring class because they realized the gun just wasn’t for them,” Vickers says.

If you can’t be swayed — and you have the patience and the budget — here’s an idea of what to look for as you step into the world of the 1911."

Link:http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...ur-first-1911/

I love my 1911's. I've been collecting and shooting them since I bought my first Colt in 1977.

But when push comes to shove, I'll leave them in the safe and use one of my HK pistols.

They go bang every time I press the trigger, are accurate and easy to take down for maintenance.

My two cents worth ...
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

So, outside of an extractor losing tension, what would be the other parts needing gunsmith fitting?
    Mike

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mnealtx View Post
    So, outside of an extractor losing tension, what would be the other parts needing gunsmith fitting?
    Ejector
    Leaf Spring
    Barrel Link
    Slide Stop/Release
    Firing Pin Stop

The list could go on for a while...
    Last edited by JV_; 07-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Ejector
    Leaf Spring
    Barrel Link
    Slide Stop/Release
    Firing Pin Stop

The list could go on for a while...
    Barrel link and firing pin stop I could see (FP stop needing to be filed to fit and barrel lugs/feet/hood possibly needing adjustment due to a different size link), but certainly the others are field-replaceable by the user, are they not?
    Mike

Site Supporter
    I guess anything is field replaceable with the right tool kit, but ejectors often require a bit tweaking.

You can prefit the slide release and leaf springs.

Thank you for the info.
    Mike

I bought my first 1911 in in 1980, a Colt Combat Commander. All I shot in it was FMJ w the Colt mags and never had a problem for years. Ditto the Govt model that followed. From 84-88 I was issued USAF 1911 match guns. No idea how many times they were rebuilt before I got them. Minor parts breakage from time to time. I didn't fix 'em, the armorer did.

Over the years many more 1911s from box stock to custom (Clark, King, Pachmayer). Some worked better than others.

Since I was w/o a 1911, for 2011 I bought yet another: a SA Mil-Spec. Had everything I wanted (lowered/flared ejection port, throated bbl, beveled mag well, high visibility sights) and nothing I did not (beavertail, ring hammer, flat housing, FLGR, extended/ambi safety, etc). Came w a SS bbl and bushing.

So far, so good. No problems in several hundred rounds w various FMJ and Hornady FTX in the SA OEM (Imbel?) and Metalform 7 rounders. I would bet my life on it for home defense/carry and not loose any sleep over it.
    Last edited by MikeO; 07-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.
    - De Re Strategica of Syrianus Magister @525AD

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    And you can get that for $7,000.
    Actually, MSRP for the PC9111 is only ~$2500. Be sure not to let the froufrou target pistol get dirty, though...

Attachment 82

User Tag List