Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED conversion module for OLD SureFire G2

LED conversion module for OLD SureFire G2

#1 daughter hooked up with a co-worker whose husband is a big-time flash-a-holic. The other day, she "returned" an OLD G2 that I gave her at least 15 years ago, saying thanks but she was in "modern times" now. I managed to restrain most of the eyeball-roll, but onward and upward and all of that…

I just discovered that SureFire quit producing the P60L some time ago. Supposedly, the LED module for the current G2/6P series won't fit the older G2 I have. Before I go looking, I thought I'd see if anyone here has a quick suggestion.

TIA…

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    #1 daughter hooked up with a co-worker whose husband is a big-time flash-a-holic. The other day, she "returned" an OLD G2 that I gave her at least 15 years ago, saying thanks but she was in "modern times" now. I managed to restrain most of the eyeball-roll, but onward and upward and all of that…

I just discovered that SureFire quit producing the P60L some time ago. Supposedly, the LED module for the current G2/6P series won't fit the older G2 I have. Before I go looking, I thought I'd see if anyone here has a quick suggestion.

TIA…

I'm running an old G2 with the current KX4 head and it works just fine.

If I may be so bold?

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-i...re-and-malkoff

Gene Malkoff makes great LED conversions for the older Surefires. I have used them with great success in many lights.

I would recommend picking up a metal bezel, to help act as a better heat sink. The plastic bezels do not conduct heat away as effectively from the higher-temperature LED's.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If I may be so bold?

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-i...re-and-malkoff

Gene Malkoff makes great LED conversions for the older Surefires. I have used them with great success in many lights.

I would recommend picking up a metal bezel, to help act as a better heat sink. The plastic bezels do not conduct heat away as effectively from the higher-temperature LED's.
    McGizmo did the reflector... I'm in. I've heard of these guys, off and on over the years, but never actually seen any of their wares.

You're saying the brass housing the unit comes in isn't a good enough heat sink?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'm running an old G2 with the current KX4 head and it works just fine.
    Thanks… but for that kind of scratch, I can get a Fenix LD-something and a metric crap-load of AA lithium batteries.

I'm looking for an el cheapo option to spruce up an old warrior for use an a spare/extra.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Take a look at TNVC's offerings. I've had good luck with a pair I bought and was pretty impressed with the performance upgrade over the original Surefire lamps. They claim 200+ lumens and that seems realistic. Their CS is commendable also.

https://tnvc.com/shop/q5-cree-led-drop-in-lamp/

t

Site Supporter
    I bought a Cree LED bulb for my old G2. I had to use the spring off the original incandescent bulb though. I have not used the light much since putting in the LED bulb but this is just a backup light. The bulb was less than $10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I bought a Cree LED bulb for my old G2. I had to use the spring off the original incandescent bulb though. I have not used the light much since putting in the LED bulb but this is just a backup light. The bulb was less than $10.
    I keep forgetting about Amazon. By gum, you can find just about anything there.

Cree 300-lumen drop-in… $10.47 shipped.

Thanks, gentlemen, for all the suggestions. Since this light will see hardly any use, I feel okay with the mega-el-cheapo drop-in. I'm usually a buy once/cry once kind of guy, but when one has four excellent all-metal SureFires already, its a bit tough to justify another $50-$60 sprucing up a polymer light that still works…

You may need to hold to a pretty conservative duty cycle to prevent melting.

I have used the Malkoff and TNVC with great success, both in handheld and weapon lights. My earliest Malkoffs are still going strong after many years. This includes use in G2s. One of my primary lights is a 9v polymer bezel G3 with a (360?) lumen Malkoff.

The cheap import alternatives were disappointing, even for the $10 price point. Blue color and lower than advertised output were the norm.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List