Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Handgun

1st Handgun

I'm going to be 21 here in a little while, and while I have been around firearms pretty much my whole life I haven't been around a lot of handgun. It seems like everyone I ask has a different answer for what to get. This will be my only handgun for now because I need to save up to get an autoloader for duck hunting and hopefully a long rifle for big game but that is besides the point. I have been really looking at the sig p226, which I have shot. I shot well with it as well. The other pistols I have shot are the glock 19 which I wasn't to fond of and the Beretta 92. I know that for now I just want to keep the caliber at a 9mm and preference in DA/SA isn't a huge deal for me, though I did like how both the sig and beretta were DA/SA. Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
    Matt

What's your budget?

Budget

I can spend up to $900

Well, I'd take a strong look at a P30.

is there any particular reason for that? I also forgot to mention I'd like to get a full size pistol

Quote Originally Posted by MattS1022 View Post
    I can spend up to $900
    I found out the hard way when I bought my first pistol that I should've included the expense for mags, mag pouches, holster, and ammo into my gun budget. The accessories add up quickly and are pretty much essential. You're fortunate enough to have a lot more cash to work with than I did though.

What specifically didn't you like about the G19?

Well, given your price point, as well as it being your first handgun, there's little reason to suggest other DA/SA guns. You also mentioned that you weren't fond of the Glock 19.

Have you checked out www.pistol-forum.com ? Todd did a very extensive test on the P30 in 9mm HERE

If you have the money to spend, why not buy a truly excellent platform? You'll start your shooting career at a place where many would be envious, as many folks buy truly terrible handguns as their first purchases (Taurus, etc).

Good luck to you and welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    What specifically didn't you like about the G19?
    To be honest I just didn't shoot it as well as the other two and the Beretta and the Sig both "felt" better in my hand.

After shooting my dad's Colt and Kimber 1911s, Dan Wesson .357, and Ruger Mark II, I picked up a Glock 26.

Shot it terribly at first, but getting much, much better after 300 rounds. Just saying, don't base your evaluation of a pistol on your first shots with it.

Just because your budget is $900 doesn't mean you need to spend all that on a pistol. Get a decent holster and carrying belt - budget at least $100 for that - some spare mags, and several hundred rounds of ammo - budget $100 for that initially, and at least $20 a month, I'd say.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

User Tag List