Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting game as spectator sport...

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Watching others run through would be a lot more interesting if it weren't for all the standing around gabbing in between. Watching a high-level USPSA or 3-gun match presented on video with the action all cut together appropriately with decent camera angles, a-la-Olympics, would be super groovy.
    And comprehensible scoring.

I think if you had cameras on the targets to do a live scoring indicator for the hits on target you could make it interesting.

Solo runs of anything are only exciting to watch at the highest levels of the sport. Watching a novice crawl his way around an autocross course isn't exciting either.

Anything head to head can be exciting, no matter who is running it, if they are closely matched.

The most important thing for either is to be able to

a) Show people doing cool stuff normal people can't do
    b) Have scoring rules that are visible to the viewer and that can be explained by a simple voiceover

The viewer has to be able to see *how* Alice beat Bob, even if they weren't savvy enough to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I think if you had cameras on the targets to do a live scoring indicator for the hits on target you could make it interesting.
    Bianchi Cup started doing this at one event last year. At least one of the cameras took a bullet, and that's in the accuracy sport. I'd imagine it would get expensive quick to do this at USPSA matches.

I meant pointed *at* the targets more than back at the shooter Although does anyone make a bullet resistant case for a Go Pro?

Can't you set the cameras farther back and use a bigger lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I meant pointed *at* the targets more than back at the shooter Although does anyone make a bullet resistant case for a Go Pro?

Can't you set the cameras farther back and use a bigger lens?
    You'd be better off using an array of cheap cameras closer to the targets. Never underestimate the ability of shooters to put bullets into things that don't need them. I guarantee if there's a prop at a match that is absolutely not to be shot under any circumstances...it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Despite the fact that there's less actual "action" in Bianchi Cup than USPSA, it's more spectator friendly because it's actually easy to figure what's going on. The scoring is straightforward, the targets are easy to see, and now on the barricade they have live hit-cameras that show everyone's targets. Steel Challenge in Piru was great, because they had an almost live leaderboard that showed the top 5, and everyone's string times would display on a big timer for the spectators to see. It was garbage in Frostproof because they didn't have any of that.
    Piru is of course going to have a better setup, it was the long time venue so it has a lot more local support. Where as at Frostproof it was my understanding that USA was providing the range to USPSA free of charge. So it was up to USPSA to bring that sort of stuff in, IMO USPSA has dropped the ball. I have my opinions of how USPSA should handle Steel Challenge, and I've spoken it to every AD, and at least one candidate for the USPSA's presidency.

Anyways Bianchi can be interesting to watch, particularly if you know the competitors. The falling plate event is probably the best, it will be interesting this year as at least the Production Super Squad is going to finish on the plates. But last year watching as Tiffany and Jessie were shooting the Mover was interesting.

From personal experience I know the additional pressure from actual spectators was weird, as unlike all my other matches they weren't just my squad mates but people that weren't even involved in the match.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Piru is of course going to have a better setup, it was the long time venue so it has a lot more local support. Where as at Frostproof it was my understanding that USA was providing the range to USPSA free of charge.
    That's a negative, Ghostrider.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Moved.

If they're not-so-skilled folks, it's not that enjoyable.
    Agreed. But its a good teaching aid if you're squiring a newbie through his/her first match and/or exposure to a bit of pressure. You lean over and whisper to him/her "Don't do THAT!"

I like watching Biathlon. They've been doing good things with cameras on the targets and split screens for quite a while now.
    The techniques could be used in other shooting sports, I think.

The most fun event to watch, for me, was pin shooting as done at the Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoot.
    Always something going on. Pins flying off tables, or being knocked down on the tables and spinning around instead of falling.
    Stopping on the very rear edge of the table. Wobbling on the table but not leaving it.

I developed new ways to screw up a table every match but managed to get better over time anyway.
    When I got home and started shooting Bullseye again I had to slooow myself down to shoot the rapid fire stages.
    That was interesting.

Got to see Jerry Miculek, Brian Enos, Mas Ayoob, Mitch Ota and other masters of the game show how
    it should be done. I also saw most of them leave pins on the table from time to time.

Team shooters with shotguns and buckshot sometimes launched pins clear over the pin tables and the first backstop.
    Very entertaining to see even if, like me, you never got to shoot team events.

Lots of food and drink available. Good conversation while waiting around to shoot, or just hanging around.
    Trivia contests while then pins were set.
    Rich Davis really knew how to throw a match/party.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You'd be better off using an array of cheap cameras closer to the targets. Never underestimate the ability of shooters to put bullets into things that don't need them. I guarantee if there's a prop at a match that is absolutely not to be shot under any circumstances...it will be.
    Protecting a camera pointed at a target does not have to be expensive or complicated. TAP Plastics will sell you 4x4x1.25 squares of bullet resistant acrylic sheet for $10 each, less if you buy a bunch at once.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List