Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting game as spectator sport...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Shooting game as spectator sport...

Comments in the IDPA thread about time spent shooting in a match versus time spent standing around waiting to shoot made me think about something else: How enjoyable is the shooting game in question to watch when you're not shooting?

For example, a benchrest or high power match wouldn't compare very favorably with a paint drying race in the spectator giggles department, while metallic silhouette shooting at least offers some visual indication of what's going on. At the other extreme, heads-up bowling pin matches, with two shooters trying to clear a table faster than the other, are almost as fun to watch as they are to shoot.

How does this translate to the enjoyment of the various action pistol games for you? Is it a factor?

ETA: D'oh! Wrong subforum. Should be in the Competition one.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Moved.

If I can watch really good/clueful shooters run a stage, I enjoy it. If they're not-so-skilled folks, it's not that enjoyable.

I like watching the other shooters, especially ones who are decently skilled - it's not unusual for me to talk to them about why they did such and such instead of whatever. I think that's a valuable experience (not sure it applies in IDPA) and helps you get better at the game. Sometimes the newbie is a bit excruciating to watch, but hey, everybody starts somewhere.

I actively watch others run stages to see what techniques and gear they use, and how they work or fail. Seeing the same shooters repeatedly, I also get to see their learning curve (or lack thereof). There aren't a lot of surprises, but some gems do emerge. I also volunteer to RO, paste, and score for the same reasons.

It's more academic than for amusement, and helps pass the time.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

The best part of IDPA locally has become the socializing aspect. The local .22 Rimfire Challenge (think Ruger Rimfire Challenge toned down to accommodate more kids) has become a lot of fun to shoot, watch and help run. Especially with kids involved. The last bowling pin match I shot had well over 40 shooters show up at an indoor range. I stood around for two and a half hours to get in less than 30 seconds of shooting. That sucked the fun right out of it for me.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

It's really not that interesting unless they are good. Not much can be gleaned, in my opinion, from a Sharpshooter level shooter going through a CoF. Watching a master shooter, yes, but you see way more shooters at SS and worse than ya do better.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Comments in the IDPA thread about time spent shooting in a match versus time spent standing around waiting to shoot made me think about something else: How enjoyable is the shooting game in question to watch when you're not shooting?

For example, a benchrest or high power match wouldn't compare very favorably with a paint drying race in the spectator giggles department, while metallic silhouette shooting at least offers some visual indication of what's going on. At the other extreme, heads-up bowling pin matches, with two shooters trying to clear a table faster than the other, are almost as fun to watch as they are to shoot.

How does this translate to the enjoyment of the various action pistol games for you? Is it a factor?

ETA: D'oh! Wrong subforum. Should be in the Competition one.
    Just watching USPSA or IDPA isn't really a whole lot of fun. I've watched enough matches through a camera lens to the point where I've realized that the action sports aren't really truly spectator friendly. The only matches I've ever shot that have actual people watching the stages are 1) Bianchi Cup, 2) Steel Challenge and 3) ProAm.

Despite the fact that there's less actual "action" in Bianchi Cup than USPSA, it's more spectator friendly because it's actually easy to figure what's going on. The scoring is straightforward, the targets are easy to see, and now on the barricade they have live hit-cameras that show everyone's targets. Steel Challenge in Piru was great, because they had an almost live leaderboard that showed the top 5, and everyone's string times would display on a big timer for the spectators to see. It was garbage in Frostproof because they didn't have any of that.

ProAm is pretty fun to watch because stuff is happening, and plates are falling.

The last IDPA sanctioned match I shot I was squaded with the previous years winner and a multiple time National Champion. It was interesting to see how they approached things.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Technically, watching someone one perform can activate mirror neurons in motor centers that aid in imitating performance. The concept has even hit the gun world as I heard Tom Givens talk about them. So watch someone who is good. We have some championship level folks that I squad with at times.

It is also amusing to watch booboos (like mine - oh, dear). I don't mind watching IDPA or steel.

Watching others run through would be a lot more interesting if it weren't for all the standing around gabbing in between. Watching a high-level USPSA or 3-gun match presented on video with the action all cut together appropriately with decent camera angles, a-la-Olympics, would be super groovy.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List