Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ P-09 sights issue

CZ P-09 sights issue

I recently purchased a CZ P-09. When I finally managed to get to the range, I discovered that the rounds were impacting the target about 3 inches high for me at ten yards.

I spoke to my gunsmith, who advised that there wasn't really anything he could do, and suggested I contact CZ directly for a taller front sight.
    When I called CZ, the guy in the Warranty department agreed, and sent me to the Parts dept to order a taller front sight. I explained the situation to the fellow in Parts, that my POI was high, and he insisted that what I needed was a shorter front sight. Even after explaining it again, he said what I needed was a shorter FS. He was so adamant about it that I wondered if I was crazy, so I decided to give it a shot.

My questions are: Am I crazy, or do I really need a shorter front sight?
    If I need a taller FS after all, how can I use what I've got to fix the issue? I don't want to deal with CZ again and sink even more money into this thing. A shim or something under the FS maybe?

If it can't be fixed somewhat simply then I'm just going to trade it for something else, I can't be bothered with a pistol that I can't shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
    I recently purchased a CZ P-09. When I finally managed to get to the range, I discovered that the rounds were impacting the target about 3 inches high for me at ten yards.

I spoke to my gunsmith, who advised that there wasn't really anything he could do, and suggested I contact CZ directly for a taller front sight.
    When I called CZ, the guy in the Warranty department agreed, and sent me to the Parts dept to order a taller front sight. I explained the situation to the fellow in Parts, that my POI was high, and he insisted that what I needed was a shorter front sight. Even after explaining it again, he said what I needed was a shorter FS. He was so adamant about it that I wondered if I was crazy, so I decided to give it a shot.

My questions are: Am I crazy, or do I really need a shorter front sight?
    If I need a taller FS after all, how can I use what I've got to fix the issue? I don't want to deal with CZ again and sink even more money into this thing. A shim or something under the FS maybe?

If it can't be fixed somewhat simply then I'm just going to trade it for something else, I can't be bothered with a pistol that I can't shoot well.
    A shorter front sight will cause you to tilt the muzzle higher and should bring your POI up. What ammo wee you using? Does it shoot 3" low with multiple brands/loads?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Thanks for confirming that for me. The guy was so sure, I figured he could very well be right.

I'm using Freedom Munitions 115 gr which is all I have at the moment. I hadn't considered the ammo might be the cause, especially since it shoots right on with my STI Trojan. I'll give another brand a try. Is it more a discrepancy between brands, or is it bullet weight that makes the difference?

Thanks for confirming that for me. The guy was so sure, I figured he could very well be right.

I'm using Freedom Munitions 115 gr which is all I have at the moment. I hadn't considered the ammo might be the cause, especially since it shoots right on with my STI Trojan. I'll give another brand a try. Is it more a discrepancy between brands, or is it bullet weight that makes the difference?
    It's been my experience that most of the 115 grain ball ammo shoots roughly the same for my guns. The 147 grain ball shoots a little low for me.
    Julius Caesar

Dave,

How tall is the front sight on the gun now? Dawson Precision makes a few different height fronts for the P09. Their CS is pretty awesome too and they really know their stuff in my experience. If ya give em a call, they'll get you squared away if you decide you need a little extra height.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Prod...724-1388518374

t

Dawson is your friend. Alternatively spring for a set of Cajun sights (FO front, black rear) made by Dawson Precision.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So I just pulled the CZ replacement front sight out of the bag to install it... Turns out they sent the plastic front sight with a plain white dot and no set screw from the old version of the P-07. Yeah, I'm definitely calling them tomorrow to get this sorted out.

Thanks for taking the time, guys.

I discovered that the rounds were impacting the target about 3 inches high for me at ten yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    A shorter front sight will cause you to tilt the muzzle higher and should bring your POI up.
    Wouldn't this further the problem?

A taller FS will have the effect of driving the muzzle down from the sight plain. This will bring the POI down closer to the POA if you are hitting high.

Unless I missed something.

Picking the correct FS height guide by Dawson:
    https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cate...t=SIGHTS+FRONT
    Last edited by CCT125US; 04-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Wouldn't this further the problem?

A taller FS will have the effect of driving the muzzle down from the sight plain. This will bring the POI down closer to the POA if you are hitting high.

Unless I missed something.

Picking the correct FS height guide by Dawson:
    https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cate...t=SIGHTS+FRONT
    No. You are correct. Apparently I'm an illiterate idiot and can't read. I looked at the OP three times and would have swore that he said he was impacting low...
    It must be my lysdexia kicking in. Thanks for catching that.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Dawson is your friend. Alternatively spring for a set of Cajun sights (FO front, black rear) made by Dawson Precision.
    So Dawson makes the Cajan Competition Sights? Interesting.

User Tag List