Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Weather Pic Thread

Giving this thread a bump with some different "weather". I was digging around looking for some other video this morning and came across this from some avalanche control work the other year. A co-worker videoed our results on his phone. Figured it fit the thread mojo.

Here are a couple topic related images too. The first is also from some control work; in this case to mitigate exposure on a frequently travelled County Road. The second is the aftermath of a skier triggered slide in a high traffic side-country area in our County. It carried the victim about 1800' vertical. The ship provides a little bit of scale.

Swirly winds about 1 mile west and 2 miles north of the house from a few years ago.

Name:  IMG_2451.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  57.6 KB

So all winter thus far, this winter storms have swung wide around the Seattle-Tacoma area.

A few hours ago I woke up, the wife (who has developed into a real night owl since being laid off/retirement) tells me she has to watch DVDs because the satellite dish is covered with snow again. (I had gone outside and swept it clear last night.) When she came to bed an hour or so later she mentioned "We may be about to lose the birch tree in the backyard."

Well, now I really couldn't sleep...
    Name:  0206170443f.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  68.0 KB
    That's after I grabbed the loppers and did some judicious trimming.

I think I need a real chainsaw, the 14" electric isn't going to cut it. So to speak.

From the driveway, out front:
    Name:  0206170441a.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  82.8 KB
    The white streaks are more snow falling.

The hood of my wife's car, pop can for perspective:
    Name:  0206170441b.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  44.3 KB

EDIT TO ADD: *CRACK*CRACK*. Looks like we lost one or two limbs, including the one that hangs out over the side street, where all the parents idle while waiting for their kids at the school around the corner.
    Last edited by Drang; 02-06-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I have a friend who is at his sister's house in Seattle for his birthday. He said they got 12-14" there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I have a friend who is at his sister's house in Seattle for his birthday. He said they got 12-14" there.
    Officially, Seattle "only" got 7" or so, but the further east (i.e., closer to the mountains) you go, the more you get. Apparently it was "thundersnow", which they say means you'll get a heavy snow.

Power went out about 0700. I notified Puget Sound Energy, realized there was a down line in the middle of the street and called 911. (It was probably a phone line, but why take chances?)

Then I broke out my late father in law's large saw and a set of loppers and started clearing the branches that were blocking the road. Name:  0206170717.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  65.6 KB

Also shoveled maybe a third of the driveway when it started to snow again; the power came back on, so I took a shower and got acquainted with my new best friend, Mr. Heating pad.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

weird horizontal break in the clouds on the horizon. not sure what to make of it.
    about 65 miles off shore on the way to go hunt for some cod in the north atlantic, late jan. 2017
    Last edited by fishing; 02-06-2017 at 06:34 PM.

29APR17 Santa Fe, NM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

A few recent sunsets

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

(Also, I have some dash cam footage of th most amazing double rainbow we saw on the drive down here. If and when i figure out how t0 edit it, I'll post it here so you guys can tell me what it means...)

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    [/URL]
    A double rainbow is completely normal. Whether or not you see the secondary rainbow just depends upon the conditions and the lighting. The second rainbow is located 10 degrees above the first and always fainter.

Note how in the primary rainbow the color is red on the inner to blue on the outer/upper band. The colors are reversed on the secondary rainbow. The area in between the rainbows is called Alexander's Dark Band. This is all pure physics (optics) and the phenomenons of reflection and refraction.

Had some pretty big hail last night. Thankfully it was mostly smaller and pretty short duration, and the vehicles were inside. Not too far away they got it a lot worse.

--Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List