Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Birds of Prey Know they are Cool

This page has an embedded Facebook video making the rounds. Close up of a bald eagle grabbing a fish some guys laid out for him:

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...up-close-video

I appreciate the cautious approach ("is this a trap?") and then quick snatch. Looks like he is wearing a red band/tag on his right ankle.

One summer I was at lake Couer d Alene with my wife and kids and watching them swim from the cabin deck. I heard a rush of wings and a bald eagle landed in a tree about 15 feet away looking at me. He let me admire him for a couple minutes and flew off. Not only did he know he was cool, he knew he was king of his particular domain - no fear.

If it ever makes sense to grab some land it would be tempting to take up falconry.
    Last edited by FPS; 01-20-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    Just noticed this thread. I was opening the garage door and two doves flew past in at about 4 feet off the ground, going fast. Behind them was a hawk on afterburners. It caught one and went straight up into the sky. The other dove keep on its level path. There was a burst of feathers on the ground in front of the garage. I've seen the same hawk blazing down the middle of the street.

I've also found a whole pile of feathers in the backyard and wondered why. Now I'm pretty sure it was the hawk catching a dove.

We also have a great old owl that visits the trees and hoots away at night. He also visits our local trail. Neat bird to see.

Hammertime
    Name:  ST3_KlingonBirdOfPrey.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  29.5 KB

Indeed. Caught this one during eclipse last night.

Just found this for the first time. My late wife was a Master Falconer and flew Redtails for years. I still hang with the local falconers.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

So a few years ago the laws changed, and now tribal members may now posses a eagle or parts of the eagle for ceremonial or religious use. So my tribe has a list and when one comes available from the National repository, you can get an eagle.
    So his came with a permit, and when he dies it has to go to his tribal member descendant. His eagle died from natural causes. And is worshipped daily
    https://www.fws.gov/eaglerepository/factsheets.php

The taxidermist did a fabulous job with itName:  A0D4B899-E2D4-454D-B887-28CCC0E38F74.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  17.3 KB
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 01-24-2019 at 12:12 PM.

User Tag List