Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holstering at night AIWB

Site Supporter
    To get back to the OP's original question, you might want to pick up a cap with LEDs built into the brim or a LED unit to attach to a cap you already own. I've not tried either of the products to which I linked, but I think a light that is easy to keep at hand and doesn't require holding in hand would be best for getting rid of the dark while reholstering.

I carry a Glock 26 AIWB and when I reholster, I slide my weak hand in behind the holster, tilt it away from my body, and then insert the pistol. It's slow and I have to pay attention to where my feet are. I'm sure I'm not 100% compliant, but I can't think of a safer way to go about it. Also, I never, ever reholster while sitting.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    To get back to the OP's original question, you might want to pick up a cap with LEDs built into the brim or a LED unit to attach to a cap you already own.
    ^^^^This right here.

If I were at a night-time gun skool class, I'd do the same as if I were at a night-time 3-gun match and wear a head lamp.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I thought Bruce's post was very thoughtful, except had two parts that were not actually true all the time:

That non-AIWB carry methods factor out muzzling oneself (they do not always do that - have a right handed person with a strong side holster, especially an IWB, step left and draw, or draw with legs at least shoulder width apart, and they will almost definitely muzzle themselves.)
    Tex Grebner Serpa

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    There are a couple of guys on this forum who have posted videos of themselves shooting that give me the willies with their re-holster technique. Both guys are very serious and skilled shooters. Maybe there's more to it than is visually evident to a relative noob like myself, but it appears as if they're re-holstering with the same amount of care one would use to toss a napkin in a trash can. I feel like this when I'm drawing/re-holstering AIWB:
    YES. Like the hot range concept. It can be safer; because it is more dangerous.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    There are a couple of guys on this forum who have posted videos of themselves shooting that give me the willies with their re-holster technique.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I thought Bruce's post was very thoughtful, except had two parts that were not actually true all the time:

That non-AIWB carry methods factor out muzzling oneself (they do not always do that - have a right handed person with a strong side holster, especially an IWB, step left and draw, or draw with legs at least shoulder width apart, and they will almost definitely muzzle themselves.)

And that AIWB necessarily involves muzzling oneself (it doesn't have to - I would readily stipulate that a lot of people allow it to, but with a holster that effectively controls muzzle direction you can largely factor out that risk.)

Bruce is quite correct that 'being careful' may not always adequately address the safety concerns with AIWB, because people sometimes do make mistakes. Being careful is one of two main factors I lean on for safe AIWB carry. The other is to arrange my holster so that the gun doesn't actually point at me, which is not as subject to me making a mistake.
    It was thoughtful and heartfelt. And maybe useful for that thread. But it didn't introduce any new discovery into the topic. I started AIWB round abouts in the era he was alluding to it. Early '80's for me. Every pucker factor aspect was quite obvious then as it is now. Only revolvers were comfortable there for me back then. I never made the 1911 work, Bruce Nelson style. P7 was ok IIRC.

But AIWB must have been a word of mouth only thing if Bruce and his circle discovered it and abandoned it after a mishap. It was nearly never mentioned in the gun mags of the day.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think using a headlamp is a great idea for range use. I would still like a solution for edc

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In the past I have used the paint on style Whiteout to add a contrast point to gear that I needed to be able to see the edge of in the dark. Might work on the edges of a kydex holster mouth to give visual contrast.
    What did you do when reholstering during night shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    I think using a headlamp is a great idea for range use. I would still like a solution for edc
    A small red LED could easily be adapted to my design as well as others.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A small red LED could easily be adapted to my design as well as others.
    As in, adding an LED to the holster?

User Tag List