• Slingshot

17 16.35%
  • Slide release

87 83.65%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide lock release versus slingshotting

Slide lock release versus slingshotting

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I would venture a bet that the entire forum here does not slingshot the slide.
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    How much?
    I suppose not you. I've met and shot with (informally and at matches) a great deal of people here. This forum overall, has a very high rate of proficiency with the pistol and it's humbling to be able to shoot with this community as I always learn from the experience. Not slingshotting the slide is a commonality shared with every shooter here that I've shot with.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I suppose not you. I've met and shot with (informally and at matches) a great deal of people here. This forum overall, has a very high rate of proficiency with the pistol and it's humbling to be able to shoot with this community as I always learn from the experience. Not slingshotting the slide is a commonality shared with every shooter here that I've shot with.
    Ive not many anyone here or shot with them. I am fascinated by what you all have to say. I was taught, in 1967 by the USMC, to reach over the top of the slide, grab the serrations, push it to the rear and let go - I gather this is slingshotting. Always done it that way. It scares me to think where I went and how little I knew (or how little we were trained). Glad to be here reading this....

I do however, think I've read that using slide lock or my method were acceptable alternatives to accomplish the same thing. You all think other wise?

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    Ive not many anyone here or shot with them. I am fascinated by what you all have to say. I was taught, in 1967 by the USMC, to reach over the top of the slide, grab the serrations, push it to the rear and let go - I gather this is slingshotting. Always done it that way. It scares me to think where I went and how little I knew (or how little we were trained). Glad to be here reading this....

I do however, think I've read that using slide lock or my method were acceptable alternatives to accomplish the same thing. You all think other wise?

I was taught a different method than what I use today (along with slingshotting as an alternate) by the Marine Corps in the late 90's and early 2000's but I obviously did not see that method as carved in stone for time immemorial. I certainly don't see methods different than what I was taught in the Corps as somehow scary to me but I'm quite vocal about the woeful amount of actual trigger time and weapons manipulations for the average grunt, let alone the pogues.

Insofar as your question, that was mean for the community and personally, I see no need for the slingshot approach unless using gloves.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 03-30-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: redundant word
    #RESIST

There are dedicated threads on the merits of using the slide release as opposed to slingshot/overhand rack. I think the consensus is that the slide release offers a distinct speed advantage.

Interestingly if you add a Wilson Shok Buff to a 1911 the slingshot may no longer be an option - you have to use the slide release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've been training myself to slingshot instead of slide release, since not all of my guns are ambidextrous and I'm a lefty.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    There are dedicated threads on the merits of using the slide release as opposed to slingshot/overhand rack. I think the consensus is that the slide release offers a distinct speed advantage.

Interestingly if you add a Wilson Shok Buff to a 1911 the slingshot may no longer be an option - you have to use the slide release.

I have two Wilsons and use shok buffs in both - go figure....

Most members of my particular shooting group are lefties. Todd teaches a pretty nifty method of activating a right hand slide release that is still faster than an overhand rack.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've been training myself to slingshot instead of slide release, since not all of my guns are ambidextrous and I'm a lefty.
    My only pistol right now is an M&P 9, but I practice slingshotting along with hitting the slide release because I too am a southpaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Using the slide release is faster-provided that the slide release is user-friendly in terms of configuration and positioning. That can vary from gun to gun, so it's utility can vary. Slingshotting is certainly a valid option/tool in the toolbox-there have been situations where my hand/body/gun position leads to using it-but generally/usually/most of the time, I'll use, and suggest using the slide release.

Best, Jon

User Tag List