Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39mm ammo ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    This sort of BS is how steel core 7.62x39 got banned. You can thank Oly Arms for that Blue Falcon moment in the gun world.
    The names of the guilty will surface sooner or later. Hopefully the gun-buying population will show their vindictive side. Bankruptcy would be a fair outcome, IMHO, for the economic damage they inflicted with their BF move.

I can't get too worked up, though -- sooner or later I will run out of 5.45, and it will not be economical to buy more. At that point, it'll take me less than an hour total to swap in a new 5.56 barrel and bolt, adjust the gas system, and re-zero the scope. The AR is truly the grown-man Lego set. (Or Barbie doll judging by how much fun some folks have dressing theirs up. Anyway.)

You know who's really going to be steamed? All of the AK74-variant owners. I'm reasonably sure there's no practical way to switch those over to 7.62x39, and I'd be surprised if the US market for 5.45x39 is big enough to start sending us new-production copper/lead 5.45 ammo anytime soon.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I was about to say save your hate for BATFE, not some dumbass mfg. Then I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I was about to say save your hate for BATFE, not some dumbass mfg. Then I saw this:

ETA: JBI Armory felt compelled to post an all-caps message to their FB page warning that all threats would be reported to the authorities. Seems that word has spread quickly of their misdeed. It'll be interesting to see if BATFE's cause for action really is JBI Armory manufacturing a 5.45x39 AR pistol then breaking Fight Club rules.

https://www.facebook.com/jbi.armory
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    This sort of BS is how steel core 7.62x39 got banned. You can thank Oly Arms for that Blue Falcon moment in the gun world.
    Yep. You'd think folks would learn, but they don't.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Ah, they're local. So proud.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    John Ross notwithstanding, the Army already had the M231 Firing Port Weapon, it was just a matter of time before someone marketed an AR15-based pistol.
    The real early AR15 pistols had more in common with the old Colt 607's and early XM177's than they did with an open bolt M231. All of that is fine really because M855 was thoughtfully exempted from the ATF's list of AP ammo as to not make an instant felon out of every random E2 that went home with a loose round of green tip in his pocket.

Whatever magnificent anti-genius thought of the idea to build an AR pistol in 7.62x39 was the real culprit there - just like the recent anti-genius that apparently built an AK pistol in 5.45 for a market niche they killed as soon as they made that pistol. It'd be entertainingly ironic on an O. Henry level if it wasn't so kittening infuriating.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    The names of the guilty will surface sooner or later. Hopefully the gun-buying population will show their vindictive side. Bankruptcy would be a fair outcome, IMHO, for the economic damage they inflicted with their BF move.

I can't get too worked up, though -- sooner or later I will run out of 5.45, and it will not be economical to buy more. At that point, it'll take me less than an hour total to swap in a new 5.56 barrel and bolt, adjust the gas system, and re-zero the scope. The AR is truly the grown-man Lego set. (Or Barbie doll judging by how much fun some folks have dressing theirs up. Anyway.)

You know who's really going to be steamed? All of the AK74-variant owners. I'm reasonably sure there's no practical way to switch those over to 7.62x39, and I'd be surprised if the US market for 5.45x39 is big enough to start sending us new-production copper/lead 5.45 ammo anytime soon.
    You know only 7n6 is banned, right? All the regular imported fodder from Wolf, Brown/Silver Bear, MFS, ect is still legal.

Sure, we can expect the prices to jump and availability to suffer for a little bit, but I don't see any reason that 5.45 would become extinct.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You know only 7n6 is banned, right? All the regular imported fodder from Wolf, Brown/Silver Bear, MFS, ect is still legal.

Sure, we can expect the prices to jump and availability to suffer for a little bit, but I don't see any reason that 5.45 would become extinct.
    How does that work? Last time I checked, Wolf/Bear/etc ammo was also made using projectiles with a mild steel jacket, just like 7N6.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    How does that work? Last time I checked, Wolf/Bear/etc ammo was also made using projectiles with a mild steel jacket, just like 7N6.
    Steel core is what is considered AP, not mild steel jackets. So, all the rest should be safe.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List