Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39mm ammo ban?

5.45x39mm ammo ban?

I blogged about it but basically, the BATFE found out about someone who manufactured a 5.45 pistol and banned the steel core ammo on the basis of that (details at blog post).

I don't have anything good to say about this non-logic. Just a backdoor to chipping away at the Second Amendment.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I've seen references to this all over the firearm blogosphere. Started on James Yeager's Facebook page of all places. In short, an importer's Form 6 got abnormally delayed on a shipment 5.45x39, that importer contacted the ATF and was told that a 5.45x39 pistol had been built, and that all imports of partial steel core 5.45x39 like 7N6 would be stopped.

On another place, (Barfcom of all places) a representative of Cope's Distributing conveyed what the ATF told him - a 5.45x39 pistol design had been submitted to the FTB to determine eligibility for importation, and thus the gate has dropped.

I hope all of those knuckle draggers feel stupid - you know, the ones that thought their homebrew '74 Krink pistol builds weren't going to endanger anything because 5.45x39 was supposedly .218" diameter on the dimension that mattered, and thus would be exempt from 921(c) by virtue of it being under .22 caliber.

15 cents shipped was nice while it lasted.

Looks like it's time to buy enough to wear out my current barrel.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Looks like it's time to buy enough to wear out my current barrel.
    You need to order right now. Not kidding.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You need to order right now. Not kidding.
    Yep, it's already been cleaned out at many distributors.

Glad I sold my 5.45 upper last October.

Too bad about the 5.45. I agree with LL that this is more than just about a pistol being submitted two years ago. If that was the case it would have been banned before now.

Holy cow. Grabbed 2 last cans, figure worst-case scenario I can sell one at a profit later this year to buy a 5.56 barrel and bolt.

I almost bought a 2-pack for $350 shipped earlier this week. Just got jacked for $490 for same from Sportsman's because I could make the buy quickly using my iphone.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

This sort of BS is how steel core 7.62x39 got banned. You can thank Oly Arms for that Blue Falcon moment in the gun world.

Damn, that sucks!

One of my buddies just got a 5.45 upper a few months ago. Fortunately he has 6480 rounds of it, and another crate or two on hold from his LGS that he does all his business with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    This sort of BS is how steel core 7.62x39 got banned. You can thank Oly Arms for that Blue Falcon moment in the gun world.
    John Ross notwithstanding, the Army already had the M231 Firing Port Weapon, it was just a matter of time before someone marketed an AR15-based pistol.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List