Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Competitions, and Related Questions...

Shooting Competitions, and Related Questions...

I'm interested in getting into starting competing, partly so that I have an excuse to get out and shoot, as well as the social
    interaction aspect. I'm completely clueless as to what is out there, and what I should look into - IDPA, USPSA, etc, etc. To
    put it simply, I don't have money to blow on expensive gear - I want to compete with what I have, which is basically a stock
    Glock 19, and a CCC Shaggy holster or my RCS rig.

If it matters, I'm looking for something in the Northeast (NH, preferably).

What should I be looking at? Any pointers or suggestions for me? Also, I know there are a few other members on here from NH
    (as I've gotten PMs from them in the past) so if you'd care to share any information about competition groups locally, that'd be
    greatly appreciated.

- Dan
    Last edited by Dan_S; 04-08-2014 at 08:45 PM.

If you carry AIWB, then USPSA is your game. If you don't carry that way then either IDPA or USPSA will be an option. A lot if it depends on your mindset and what you want out of it. Personally, I think IDPA is boring. I have more fun with USPSA and just use my carry gear. Opinions differ. Try both and see what you like.

Edit: Caleb's site had lot of good info, IIRC. http://www.gunnuts.net
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'd start here - http://www.uspsa-ne.org/
    And then maybe here - http://www.pioneersportsmen.org/disciplines/idpa

Email the contact at the nearest local club and ask what to do to get started. They can hook you up with more particular information.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I'm interested in getting into starting competing, partly so that I have an excuse to get out and shoot, as well as the social
    interaction aspect. I'm completely clueless as to what is out there, and what I should look into - IDPA, USPSA, etc, etc. To
    put it simply, I don't have money to blow on expensive gear - I want to compete with what I have, which is basically a stock
    Glock 19, and a CCC Shaggy holster or my RCS rig.

If it matters, I'm looking for something in the Northeast (NH, preferably).

What should I be looking at? Any pointers or suggestions for me? Also, I know there are a few other members on here from NH
    (as I've gotten PMs from them in the past) so if you'd care to share any information about competition groups locally, that'd be
    greatly appreciated.

- Dan
    For a new gamer, I'd say the big differences are:

IDPA requires less equipment (fewer mags/holders).
    IDPA has simpler courses of fire, and tells you what order to shoot things.

USPSA has bigger stages and more problem solving
    USPSA lets you carry AIWB (although no one really competing does)

Really, the best answer is to go to both and stick with the club you like best as a club. The group you're dealing with is going to affect your enjoyment more than the rules of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Really, the best answer is to go to both and stick with the club you like best as a club. The group you're dealing with is going to affect your enjoyment more than the rules of the game.
    This. You're going to spend several orders of magnitude more time setting up, hanging out, taping targets, tearing down, etc. than you'll spend actually shooting. Assuming you're not a sullen loner, it's highly recommended that you find a club where you like hanging out with the people who show up regularly.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Thanks for the pointers.

I'll see what I can figure out from here.

I'd lean towards USPSA Limited. That's what I'm doing with AIWB and a stock Glock.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd lean towards USPSA Limited. That's what I'm doing with AIWB and a stock Glock.
    +1 - just load those mags up all the way!

I second this from the gear simplicity standpoint: you can use your G19, your Shaggy, your concealment if you want, and can get by with two or three spare magazines which can be filled to full capacity.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Problem with USPSA seems to be that most of the shoots are in Massachusetts....meaning, I'm stuck with 10 round mags. Yuck. Oh well, I suppose I can pick up five ten rounders....

What sights are you running on that 34 (I presume?) I've got stock sights on a couple of my 19's, and XS Bigdots on the RTF2 19 that I carry. Wanna '86 the XS, as they're just too big. (I had that set of Heinie straight eights that your brother sold me, but ended up ditching them in favor of the XS. Can't do the tritium dots as I focus on them instead of the top of the sight. Got rid of the RB1 sights too - to high. Anyway, I'm gonna need to get a decent sights, so interested in what you're running now.)

User Tag List