Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Combat Revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    So.......I wanted to check out the loads that were made for me. I also really wanted to see what they would be like indoors, so I dropped my kid at Pre-School and snuck down to the local indoor range that was in the area. I asked the owner if it was okay to shoot six rounds of black powder, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "sure". So I wander out to the range, load up six rounds of the flamethrower flash bang hammer of Thor loads in the little Vaquero. I thumbed the hammer back and dropped it...............and the world exploded. It was like what I imagine being inside a black cloud with a bolt of lightning is like. It was life altering and wonderful. So while I am waiting for the smoke to clear to find the singed and smoking target to fire round number two of pure awesomeness, I hear screaming in Korean over the P.A. system. Finally, he is screaming to "cease fire" in English. He thought the range had blown up. I had to leave. I didn't get to finish testing at his range and I was not allowed to bring that gun back. I fired the rest of the test loads at our outdoor range, but it wasn't even close on the fun factor. Needless to say, I feel confident that some urban gang banger would get the surprise of their life from a first exposure to mega level black powder.
    Cowboy flash bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Skeeter Skelton wrote that he'd just come in from hunting when his phone rang one day.
    He got called to help chase down a perp, armed robber, maybe.
    He just put his hat back on and went out with his hunting gun, a single action .44 Magnum, in his holster.

He caught up to the perp and put the gun in his face. The guy surrendered.
    He told officers later that he'd planned to fight it out, but,

"That cowboy had the biggest damn gun I'd ever seen."

I can't remember what the gun was. Might have been a Ruger Super Blackhawk, or a Colt New Frontier, like the one pictured at the top of
    this thread.

I should look for the magazine with that story in it. It's in the attic somewhere.
    From a guy who started in L/E when most of our patrol guys carried 6" .45 Colt S&W revolvers (and huge Saps), trust me, the crooks who get guns pointed at them regularly by cops were scared to death of the things and often commented on them. The typical L.A. Crip or Blood asking if "those things are Fo Fo Mags?" would get the canned response of "No, they're bigger". This would often be followed from the gangster with "You M/F'rs is crazy".......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Paint smiley faces on the bullet noses.

Funny part is that in my neck of the rural Rocky Mountain West, I know of at least a few guys who have qualed with their model 29s for off duty carry. I think guys are looking for a chance to communicate nonverbally with a few local cretins, Harry Callahan style...

Wasn't too long ago I qual'd a retired guy with a SSA and a Vaquero, and one of our regular officers with a 6" model 629. Both travel and wanted quals on record for those guns since they would likely be used on the trip if things went sideways.

"Cowboy Flash Bang"

That made me snicker..

Here is about as close to an equivalent old school"combat revolver" I have in the S.A. department. It is a 7.5" flattop .44 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Wasn't too long ago I qual'd a retired guy with a SSA and a Vaquero, and one of our regular officers with a 6" model 629. Both travel and wanted quals on record for those guns since they would likely be used on the trip if things went sideways.
    Though not my first choice for CCW, I do often carry a Model 29 in the wintertime. Mostly when I am in the mountains or high desert goofing off or hunting. I would prefer a G19 or G21 if I needed one for self defense against bad guys, but I would not feel under armed with one of my DA .44s.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    From a guy who started in L/E when most of our patrol guys carried 6" .45 Colt S&W revolvers (and huge Saps), trust me, the crooks who get guns pointed at them regularly by cops were scared to death of the things and often commented on them. The typical L.A. Crip or Blood asking if "those things are Fo Fo Mags?" would get the canned response of "No, they're bigger". This would often be followed from the gangster with "You M/F'rs is crazy".......
    Once they get a close and personal look at the front of the cylinder and see those ballistic missiles in the silos, they usually give up the fight!
    Dave Berryhill

Back about 1990 I used to shoot my 4" Bowen Redhawk .500 Linebaugh on an indoor range. I was working on draw to head shots out of a Sparks Arizona Ranger.
    Range would get thugs with Mac's , Tec 9s etc... Without exception when I started head shooting from the draw with the .500 they would leave. It was slightly concussive. Got to be sort of funny.

User Tag List