Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My DA/SA Traditional: Ruger P89

Ruger revolver: “uses cylinder release button”

Ruger pistol: “uses forward-sliding magazine release latch”

Why.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    I bought a P85 MkII for $267 in 1993. What a steaming pile of excrement. Bad mags, and I bought all factory mags, not aftermarket. Horrible trigger pull. WAY too big for someone with small hands. I put probably 5k rounds through that turd before I sold it to another deputy for $200, even after I told him it was unreliable. Bought a G19. Wish I still had the G19.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    The Ruger P89 was the first centerfire handgun I ever owned. Bought it in 1991 and I still have it. It was the only gun that I could afford as a college student. Below are the P89, P90, P91, P93, P95 and P95. I think they were truly underrated because they were kinda chunky and butter faced. Still love them.

Attachment 52946
    My first was a P95DC - I still have it. Absolutely reliable with a lot of rounds through it. I carried that gun for quite a while as a poor college student. And twice it's been with me when I might have needed a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

Why.
    Because it works better than a push button and almost as good as a lever. Don't push the support side of it with the thumb, push the other side of it with your trigger finger, you don't have to shift your grip at all. Lightning fast reloads that way. I actually think people miss the boat not realizing you should run ambi-mag releases with the trigger finger so you don't shift your grip. If I could get a 1911 with an HK-lever or Ruger-style sliding release, I'd have one, buttons are so passé.

If anything the reason I keep thinking of buying an HK45C is to get the lever mag release back, it's just so much better than a button. I really don't understand why people like buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

Why.
    While I don't necessarily think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, I've never had any issues with them, or muffed any reloads because of them. Whie it may take a slightly more deliberate motion to activate, there's also almost no chance of it being inadvertantly pushed rusulting in an uninticipated/undesired magzine release, especially by contact with another object protruding into it or pushing against it.

For me, HK's magazine paddle release levers are the best especially the larger ones on the P30/VP pistols. I'm then slightly more preferential towards the Ruger "push forward to activate" system. The serrations are quite effective. My personal preference is to use my strong-side thumb to activate, but using the trigger finger can be easiy accomplished, especially with practive and built-up muscle memory.

And FWIW, I much prefer Ruger's "rock back to release" double-action revover cylinder release to the Smith & Wesson and/or Colt alternatives.

Given the respective ergonomics of the Ruger semi-auto and Ruger double-action revolver, I think that they chose the most natural and ergonomic solution for both platforms' release systems.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I bought a P89 quite literally because of Desperado.
    Those were P-90s in 45 Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by medic15al View Post
    Those were P-90s in 45 Auto.
    And I bought one because of that movie.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I actually think people miss the boat not realizing you should run ambi-mag releases with the trigger finger so you don't shift your grip. If I could get a 1911 with an HK-lever or Ruger-style sliding release, I'd have one, buttons are so passé.
    This is highly dependent on anatomy. I have long ape-like fingers and can easily hit the push button mag release without shifting my grip on a 1911 or glock. Using my trigger finger is quite difficult because it’s too long to hit the release and I have to break my grip and allow the gun to rotate inward toward my thumb to get room for my trigger finger to press the release.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is highly dependent on anatomy. I have long ape-like fingers and can easily hit the push button mag release without shifting my grip on a 1911 or glock. Using my trigger finger is quite difficult because it’s too long to hit the release and I have to break my grip and allow the gun to rotate inward toward my thumb to get room for my trigger finger to press the release.
    Hey man, just 'cause your a sasquatch...

I get what you're putting down, each person is somewhat different.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While I don't necessarily think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, I've never had any issues with them, or muffed any reloads because of them. Whie it may take a slightly more deliberate motion to activate, there's also almost no chance of it being inadvertantly pushed rusulting in an uninticipated/undesired magzine release, especially by contact with another object protruding into it or pushing against it.

For me, HK's magazine paddle release levers are the best especially the larger ones on the P30/VP pistols. I'm then slightly more preferential towards the Ruger "push forward to activate" system. The serrations are quite effective. My personal preference is to use my strong-side thumb to activate, but using the trigger finger can be easiy accomplished, especially with practive and built-up muscle memory.

And FWIW, I much prefer Ruger's "rock back to release" double-action revover cylinder release to the Smith & Wesson and/or Colt alternatives.

Given the respective ergonomics of the Ruger semi-auto and Ruger double-action revolver, I think that they chose the most natural and ergonomic solution for both platforms' release systems.

Best, Jon
    Rock back to release? I thought Ruger revolvers were a push button?

Quote Originally Posted by medic15al View Post
    Rock back to release? I thought Ruger revolvers were a push button?
    As far as the user is concerned it might as well be, but it actually pivots at the front of the button rather than pushing straight in like a mag release would.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List