Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My DA/SA Traditional: Ruger P89

As we've concurrently noted, it's almost as if Ruger was a victim of its own marketing back in the day. The P85/P89 (and, for that matter, pretty much the entire subsequent P-Series guns) were marketed as a sort of latter-day volkspistole, less expensive than their competition. That casting required proportional larger components for strength (combined with William Ruger's predilection to make things at least twice as strong as they needed to be for organizational forecasted lifespans) meant that the guns were larger in some aspects-but their engineering and design ameliorated a significant portion of that (such as the dished in grip panel insertions in the receiver frame, and the redesigned safety/decocker and slide release levers). Rugers pricing and market positioning may have moved a lot of guns, but also reinforced a prejudiced view of them as a second-rate product... Ironically, there was a strong rumor in the industry that Glocks only cost $70 or less to produce but were deliberately priced comparably (or only relatively slightly below) their competition.

Intrinsically, the P89s are a very. very good gun. They were significantly enhanced even further at least two points during their manufacturing cycle. I too had a Walther P88, a second generation product improved one-and other than arguably slightly better ultimate accuracy, the P89 was a better gun in my opinion in almost all operational aspects.

I like also the DA triggerpull and DA/SA transition of the P89. It isn't often talked about, but in my experience the Ruger's have an excellent DA/SA. In actual use, the DA/SA transition is not difficult to master.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Rugers pricing and market positioning may have moved a lot of guns, but also reinforced a prejudiced view of them as a second-rate product...
    Well said. I think that pretty much crystallizes the perspective gun culture took on the P Series guns.

In fairness, I wasn't immune; I just sort of assumed that Ruger guns weren't as good as Berettas and Sigs (for instance). Because that's what gun zeitgeist says you should think.

Now, per the review, I still think the Beretta 92 and the Sig do some things better than the P89. But the point is: the P89 is a full-fledged military-grade wondernine. And it's somewhat fortunate that its identity in the market didn't come to fully reflect that reality.

But hey... at least I was able to buy one for $360

Thanks again, Jon.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List