Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My DA/SA Traditional: Ruger P89

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Meaning? (Unsure if your post is literal, allegorical, or sardonic...)

Best, Jon
    I took it literal. The firing pin in my P94 (& I'm guessing the 89 as well) is a big freaking steel rod. Not likely to break easily.

While I bought a replacement some years ago I'm still on the original with way over 50K rounds and lots of dry fire with and without snap caps. Don't use it much now that I got an M&P so haven't bothered to swap firing pins.

I remember the P85 article in SOF magazine showed a firing pin bent 45 degrees without breaking. I still have that issue somewhere.

Mike is a gentleman and was kind enough to share some of his knowledge with me. Because of my conversations and correspondence with him, I bought a P-93 and a PC-9.

I'm glad to see someone campaigning a P-89 in IDPA. Truly an under appreciated platform.

Thanks to this thread, I dragged out the P-93 for some range time yesterday. Just as I remembered, a great performing pistol. My variant is a DAO -- the only one I could find NIB at the time. I do not find the trigger to be a handicap. As I recall, San Diego PD issued them in the 90's.

I will have to dust off the PC-9 for some range work. Another under appreciated piece. Yes, it too has a somewhat heavy trigger, but certainly no impediment to performing in its designed role.

Please pass along my regards to Mr. Smisko. PM inbound.

I understand Ruger discontinuing the P-series, but I can't help but think that they did it too soon. I see more people buying DA/SA guns now than in the last fifteen years. With that said, it is still a striker fired world - about like the iphone.

I bought a P-90 in April of 2011 after reading of its discontinuation. Haven’t shot it much but this thread is making me want to take it to the range. The pistol was the last one in stock from Bud’s. It’s stainless with the standard plastic grips.

I know there was a fella over on one of the Ruger forums by the name of “coffeepot”. He was very knowledgeable about the Ruger P-series and said he was very close to that lineup. Anyway, thanks for posting this thread!

"Coffeepot" is the gentleman we've discussed shortly back in the thread. He got a bit frustrated with the forums several years back and dropped of the forum participation map. He was truly a gentleman and an exceptionally knowledgeable engineer. Much of my P85/P89/P90/P94 (and others) knowledge has been derived from our discussions over the years. I emailed him awhle back; his daughter replied that he was not in the best of health. I hope he's doing better.

Best, Jon

The Ruger P89 was the first centerfire handgun I ever owned. Bought it in 1991 and I still have it. It was the only gun that I could afford as a college student. Below are the P89, P90, P91, P93, P95 and P95. I think they were truly underrated because they were kinda chunky and butter faced. Still love them.

Name:  Rugers P Series 2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  95.2 KB

Vending Machine Operator
    I’ve always thought Ruger pistols were unappreciated. If I didn’t already have a surplus of polymer service 9mms I’d be inclined to give the American Pro a try as I reckon it might be a sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

About a week or two after the AWB sunset I celebrated my 21st birthday by buying a Ruger P95DC which I still have. Even since I have had a fondness for the Ruger P-series. Within the last couple years I also picked up a P97DC and a P94DC which is pretty darn smooth for a entry-level gun that hadn't been shot much. I think I put more rounds through that gun the first time I took it out than the previous owner did since it was new.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    My first two centerfiee pistols that my dad bought me around 16/17 were a P89(9) and a P94(40). I sold them years later when glocks took over my life but one thing I remember was the lockup between barrel hood and slide being hilariously bad, like the hood would stick out a good 1/4” from the top of the slide. That didn’t seem to affect function bc both ran fine.

User Tag List